• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pump Gas Turbo recommendations

C
Sep 30, 2015
I have two 2016 Vipers coming, both 162 inch tracks.
The gf and I both want to add a turbo to our new sleds.
Not looking for race gas set ups.
Would like it professionally installed and set up, and as low maintenance as we can get.
My goal if possible is fill the gas tank, start the engine and ride.
Not trying to put up the highest marks on the hill, just respectable marks.
The yamaha dealer offers a couple choices, 1 is race gas the other pump gas. But before I go and tell them sure, I want to learn more.
So i came here to the users....You people.
On top of recommendation for brand to buy.
Any tips on what we need to vent for cooling, best after market skis, upgrades to the rear skid etc you wish to offer, i am thankful for.

Ian

Climbmax

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2001
Big Mountains of B.C.
Only ever run pump premium to 17 lbs of boost with MCX 270 kit. Head shimmed and completely stock internals. Rock solid.
Does your dealer have the $3k deal on Yamaha turbo available to you? If so its a very good kit with sealed stock motor. Less install time as well.

As far as rear skid. If you are adding huge power you will need to do something to control the lift. If the 180 range no need to touch anything. Maybe a ZBroz coupler for under $200 and you are set.

Best of luck with your decision.
Cheers
RS

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
MCX is proven since the rx1 #1 turn key and ride sled. Anyone who thinks otherwise is on quaaludes

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
MCX is proven since the rx1 #1 turn key and ride sled. Anyone who thinks otherwise is on quaaludes

That must be me as I ordered the EVO turbo with the 210/270 horsepower kit. 210 on pump gas 270 on AV gas. No head sim but head studs needed for over 140 horsepower, timing changed to achieve that. Not everybody had great success with MCX and I am one and will not be getting another. Mine was a Phazer turbo if that matters.

The EVO has a radiator for the intercooler on top of the oil filter access cover which I really like too. Especially fond of the turbo flash to up RPM to 9700.

Damn now I don't want to wait for it to get here!

Shattered1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2012
Juneau, AK
I'd recommend the MPI kit that Yamaha markets. It is pump gas, doesn't void the warranty and is fairly inexpensive. It's sold as a 180 hp kit, but have read a few posts around the web that say that they make more like 190-200 hp. One guy said that he dynoed his at 194 hp.

180-200 horsepower is very respectable, but if you decide you want more, you can upgrade the MPI kit. But keep in mind that you will void the warranty if you do so. I've read that you can go to 220 hp with that motor without any motor work. If you want more, you will need bigger injectors (the stock injectors will only move enough fuel to provide around 220 hp.), a head shim or low compression pistons, high octane fuel and a good fuel controller. There are lots of options if you want to go big, but they are expensive and difficult to set up. But once everything is straightened out, you can be king of the hillclimbs.

I agree that the MCX kits are probably the best performance kits around. It seems that EVO is right up there with them, but if Christopher's install thread is any indication, you need a top shelf mechanic to properly install it.

That's my two cents.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
I'd recommend the MPI kit that Yamaha markets. It is pump gas, doesn't void the warranty and is fairly inexpensive. It's sold as a 180 hp kit, but have read a few posts around the web that say that they make more like 190-200 hp. One guy said that he dynoed his at 194 hp.

180-200 horsepower is very respectable, but if you decide you want more, you can upgrade the MPI kit. But keep in mind that you will void the warranty if you do so. I've read that you can go to 220 hp with that motor without any motor work. If you want more, you will need bigger injectors (the stock injectors will only move enough fuel to provide around 220 hp.), a head shim or low compression pistons, high octane fuel and a good fuel controller. There are lots of options if you want to go big, but they are expensive and difficult to set up. But once everything is straightened out, you can be king of the hillclimbs.

I agree that the MCX kits are probably the best performance kits around. It seems that EVO is right up there with them, but if Christopher's install thread is any indication, you need a top shelf mechanic to properly install it.

That's my two cents.

I will post install of mine when done, doesn't look that hard to do....we will see.

C
Sep 30, 2015
The yamaha dealer offers an MPI kit with around 190 hp claimed, on pump premium, and warranty. Cost is 5500 Canadian installed and set up clutching etc.
MCX kit has around 270 hp claimed, voids warranty, and needs avgas.
I did not ask the price as I wanted a pump gas set up.
You guys are awesome!
Thanks so much for the help.
Are the skis on the 2016 improved?
I heard they are new, but do not know if they are better.
Heard many did not like the 2015 models skis.
I know my gf will out climb me since she weighs 80 pounds less for her sled to haul around. So I may have to secretly hide some lead pipe under the hood of hers to even things out a little :)

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
MCX kit has around 270 hp claimed, voids warranty, and needs avgas.

As stated by the other guys, it does not need av gas.. With a headshim installed it requires 91 octane.

I like the hurricane set up as well, buy the 190 kit for 3500US with clutching included and later if you feel the need to run 240+ horsepower you can just upgrade for just 1500US.

A turbo Viper thread doesn't mean anything without mentioning Boost-It Turbo either.

There have been many who said they have had trouble with the MPI turbo and basically stated that the warranty they were promised was nothing more than a sales gimmick. The MPI turbo is taking most dealers 8 hours to install as well, the MCX and Hurricane turbos are around 2-3 hours.

Last edited:
C
Sep 30, 2015
As stated by the other guys, it does not need av gas.. With a headshim installed it requires 91 octane.

I like the hurricane set up as well, buy the 190 kit for 3500US with clutching included and later if you feel the need to run 240+ horsepower you can just upgrade for just 1500US.

A turbo Viper thread doesn't mean anything without mentioning Boost-It Turbo either.

There have been many who said they have had trouble with the MPI turbo and basically stated that the warranty they were promised was nothing more than a sales gimmick. The MPI turbo is taking most dealers 8 hours to install as well, the MCX and Hurricane turbos are around 2-3 hours.

Thanks.

That is why when I heard about this forum i joined.
I was only going on what the yamaha dealer sales person told me.
So this to me is all new advice, I appreciate the education.
I have seen the turbo yamaha sleds climbing when we go ouf riding and wanted one.
So sold our Polaris 800s and bought us new Vipers.
If we can do minimal engine work and have 240 hp on pump gas safely that is great.
Hopefully a shop can also clutch and set it all up correctly.
As stated we don't need to be the highest mark on the hill.
Just have a lot of fun, riding reliable and hassle free sleds is our goal.
Thanks to everyone :)

Nytroboost

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
I personally run the boost it kit and I would have to say that it is trouble free to date and makes awesome power. The down fall for it for you is pump gas is what you are looking for. Boost it kit runs stock compression so great throttle response and power. But as boost goes up so does octane requirements. You can run there kit at low boost with pump fuel and it pulls really hard for low boost. You can also install a head shim such as the MCX kit and run higher boost levels on pump fuel. But Neil does have great service and backs his products very well. Like said in earlier response I would not buy a kit without talking to Neil to see what he has to offer you. Cheers!

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
I hope I don't get too much hate for this.. But you COULD also consider a 2016 Arctic Cat M9000 (it is an 1100cc turbo engine from the factory)

So you'd have roughly 177-180 Horsepower right out of the box. Then you could buy an EVO tuner and bump it up to 210-220 I believe is the safe number before you really need to get into some engine work, or run higher octane fuel.

Its basically the same sled as the Viper.

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
I hope I don't get too much hate for this.. But you COULD also consider a 2016 Arctic Cat M9000 (it is an 1100cc turbo engine from the factory)

So you'd have roughly 177-180 Horsepower right out of the box. Then you could buy an EVO tuner and bump it up to 210-220 I believe is the safe number before you really need to get into some engine work, or run higher octane fuel.

I have never personally ridden both but I have ridden the 1100T. It seems that anyone that has commented on the two on this forum has stated that while power is similar they handle drastically different, so I am not sure it is fair to say they are basically the same.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
I have never personally ridden both but I have ridden the 1100T. It seems that anyone that has commented on the two on this forum has stated that while power is similar they handle drastically different, so I am not sure it is fair to say they are basically the same.

The 15 Viper MTX has a better skid set up for a "lighter front end feel" and the engine is also laid back for a lower center of gravity.

I'm sure this helps drastically in the handling department..

However the 16 M will be using the same skid set-up as the 15 Viper, as well as a 36 inch front end and new spindles. On paper, It should handle better than previous years.

That being said, I went with the Viper myself.. I like dealing with Yamaha and I love that engine.

Either way you'll have a really nice sled. :face-icon-small-hap

C
Sep 30, 2015
I personally run the boost it kit and I would have to say that it is trouble free to date and makes awesome power. The down fall for it for you is pump gas is what you are looking for. Boost it kit runs stock compression so great throttle response and power. But as boost goes up so does octane requirements. You can run there kit at low boost with pump fuel and it pulls really hard for low boost. You can also install a head shim such as the MCX kit and run higher boost levels on pump fuel. But Neil does have great service and backs his products very well. Like said in earlier response I would not buy a kit without talking to Neil to see what he has to offer you. Cheers!

Thanks for the advice.
How is best to contact him?

C
Sep 30, 2015

No hatred at all :)
I am hard to upset and open to hearing from you and others, on options. Thanks :)

C
Sep 30, 2015

I have only ridden an M8 Cat.
Does the 4 stroke not handle as well?

C
Sep 30, 2015
The 15 Viper MTX has a better skid set up for a "lighter front end feel" and the engine is also laid back for a lower center of gravity.

I'm sure this helps drastically in the handling department..

However the 16 M will be using the same skid set-up as the 15 Viper, as well as a 36 inch front end and new spindles. On paper, It should handle better than previous years.

That being said, I went with the Viper myself.. I like dealing with Yamaha and I love that engine.

Either way you'll have a really nice sled. :face-icon-small-hap

I got to ride the 2015 at demo days and it seemed nice.
That is why i wanted to get us the Vipers.

Nytroboost

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
Thanks for the advice.
How is best to contact him?

Boost it.ca his website has all his contact information and some base pricing. Just remember the boost kit offers stuff other kits don't have such as water to air inter cooler and many turbo options.

Best of luck!

Premium Features