• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What are my odds? (Teton Pass Sled Extraction)

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Zigged when I should have zagged on Sunday and ended up in a bit of a predicment. Sled sits at the bottom of "A".

Any thoughts on my best way out? Anyone want to guess my odds?

Sled is a stock 2014 Pro RMK.

10928184_10102901620012133_3245678128579304592_n.jpg

mntnguide

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
Jackson, WY
Have you rode philips much?.. have you been back up there trying to get it out? ...In my opinion you need to go up not down to get it out...I wouldnt want to get any lower than you are. If you can get up the draw to the slide area that you have labeled "C"; a trail comes down by the bottom of the slide before heading up into the basin...Obviously ive never been as low as you, but that is where i would be hoping to be able to get up to. were you alone when you dropped down or did you try to get up anywhere and couldnt?

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Have you rode philips much?.. have you been back up there trying to get it out? ...In my opinion you need to go up not down to get it out...I wouldnt want to get any lower than you are. If you can get up the draw to the slide area that you have labeled "C"; a trail comes down by the bottom of the slide before heading up into the basin...Obviously ive never been as low as you, but that is where i would be hoping to be able to get up to. were you alone when you dropped down or did you try to get up anywhere and couldnt?

Sunday was tough vis day. Was with buddies and realized I dropped one meadow too early for where I was intending to go. Had them stay above me as I wasn't too confident I could get out - better to have one stuck sled than 2.

Anyway - plan is to go up to "C" as of now. We waited for snow to harden up a bit and made the day a bit easier. Fairly confident I can get to the slide path.

EDIT: No have not been back out there yet.

mntnguide

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
Jackson, WY
Gotcha...Ya as long as you can get to C you should be fine. . Snow has definitely hardened up since sunday with good base.. I was out riding yesterday. . The one you have labeled B is a pretty tight valley up top, and i doubt it would be easy going. i think focus on getting up to the slide area.

Last edited:
J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Gotcha...Ya as long as you can get to C you should be fine. . Snow has definitely hardened up since sunday with good base.. I was out riding yesterday. . The one you have labeled B is a pretty tight valley up top, and i doubt it would be easy going. i think focus on getting up to the slide area.

Your input is huge. Thanks a ton. Plan is to ski down "B" to the sled and assess. Then skin up to C and take a look at navigating the creek.

From there its time to giver her hell.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
So you left your sled and I assumed hiked up to you buddies ?...snow is pretty firm right now up Phillips why not try using your old track to ride out....Tackle the unknown as a second option.

DPG

coyoteman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
carson iowa
Does the sled run? or is it rideable? Sounds like a fun mission to me wish I was there to help.

Tree Boss

Lifetime Membership
Jan 11, 2009
Franklin County ID
So I just got on Google earth and looked at your situation using your latitude and longitude numbers on the bottom of your pic and I know we can bang that sled right up b drainage or c drainage if you didn't get the sled today. Let me know I got some guys that might find this mission to be a fun one

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Thanks everyone for the replies.

I got the sled out in under an hour (including getting to the sled, warming it up and riding it out)

Really wasn't hard at all. Completely a result of finding tricky snow a few sundays ago. Apparently sleds trench in mank. Oh, and I suck!

skibumsd

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2008
I have totally been there. We left 2 sleds in a draw one night thinking we where screwed and a week later rode out with ease. Its amazing how the same terrain rids so differently with changing snow conditions. Also enlightens you to how the same terrain can be so dangerous one day and safe another. Glad you got out.

Premium Features