• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Piston issue!!

T
Apr 17, 2010
Hello, i need some help with diagnosing this piston and what failed. My sled is a 09 iqr with a 2011 pro 800 engine with a 2013 silber journal bearing turbo kit. Has the bullydog controller as well. I just got the sled running and it was running good except i had major over reving and hitting the rev limitor. I put about 30 miles on it just testing it out. I did multiple pulls up to 8300 rpm but couldnt hit it hard because it would over rev. Afr was 12.3 when the piston blew. It almost looks like a cold siesure but i ran it for quite sometime before this happened so it couldnt be that? Water Temp was 125, the tops of the pistons look fine, good wash with no sign of det. The worst side is the intake and then the second pic is the exhaust side. I ordered all the new parts but i wanna figure out why this happened so it dosnt happen again......any ideas???

Thanks!

Screenshot_2016-01-04-17-48-57.jpg Screenshot_2016-01-04-17-48-55.jpg

raptobob

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2008
Idaho
Part of that piston looks melted away from detonation. Is that where the pin is for the piston ring? What you thought was the rev limiter was probably the knock sensor picking up detonation. What do the plugs look like? What octane fuel? Boost pressure?

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
Ya I would say lack of oil. No top damage indicates a tight fit due to heat from overheating, cold sieze, or lack of oil.

raptobob

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2008
Idaho
Pic #2 looks like the metal of the piston is melted away. If that is the case, that doesn't happen from friction. Hot spot....pre-ignition. Which could also all be started by a lean cylinder. What's the other cylinder look like?

kgra

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
British Columbia
Agree with possibly too hot aswell. Dont see any det. looks like ring 2 is broken. May have caught the edge of int or ex port. Since it is all on one side. And i see theres chucks stuck in the side of the piston. is that ring? Does the cylinder have any pieces of nikasil flaked off?

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
I don't see any wash on those piston tops. When they are all black like that means it was lean. Are you using Polaris oil.

T
Apr 17, 2010
Thanks for the responces! Boost pressure wass 8lbs, 3 gallons of av gas to the 8 gallon tank. I have always used polaris ves oil and as far as i can tell it was using oil.....i did not mix it in the tank this time so this may be the issue. The pump may be airlocked. The damage is done and its pricey but i just wanna figure out what happened before i rebuild it and it happens again!! Could a bad injector cause this? Seemed to run good prior though. The other piston is perfectly fine but forsome reason it was lower on compression. It was 125 prior to turbo install. When i checked it before tear down it was 115....

T
Apr 17, 2010
I found out why my piston siezed up on me.....the rod to the oil pump somehow unhooked at the oil pump......at least i know why now! Guess it wasnt a cold seize!

mcfly13

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
What year Ecm are you using?
The bully dog only works on 13 and up
11-12 Ecm don't function properly with the bully dog

T
Apr 17, 2010
What year Ecm are you using?
The bully dog only works on 13 and up
11-12 Ecm don't function properly with the bully dog

Im running a 2011 engine, with a 2012 cylinder. I had to use the 2012 injector harness and change out the injectors to the silber ones. Using a 2013 ecu with the bully dog......the sled ran great along with all the electronics.....

Premium Features