• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ecu error code

L
Mar 23, 2009
UP of Mi
My 2009 M8 is throwing error code 17. I replaced the exhaust sensor with a new Cat sensor, checked the wires from sensor connector all the way back to ECU and those wires seem fine. I did look at a wiring diagram and see that a wire from the exhaust temp sensor is connected with the air temp sensor, coolant temp sensor, key switch and a wire in the handle bar controls. Like I said, so far I checked the wires directly related to the exhaust temp sensor and with a resistance test I see no issues so far. Any suggestions before I search for a nice thick rope, tree and a horse. I'm determined to fix this issue but was hoping someone else may have has a similar issue and could save me some time. Thanks in advance!

Lenny

L
Mar 23, 2009
UP of Mi
I found my problem tonight, a broken wire inside the insulation 2" below the connector on the sled side of the connector. I cut the connector off because tonigh I was getting intermittent continuity on the test meter and that was fgod because last time it all checked out. After I cut the wires 3" down from the connector I was able to inspect it real close in good light on the bench. the wires copper wires were broke inside the insulation but still connecting somewhat,,,glad that's over.

L
Mar 23, 2009
UP of Mi
side note, there was a hole in the insulation where it had been probed some time ago and I think that allows air, water, salt etc,,,, to corrode the wire. I just got the sled so i will never probe a wire again,,,meaning jamming the probe of a multi meter into the insulation till contacting the metal conductor wire.

Premium Features