• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Making the Pro run cooler?

YOOPERREV

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Negaunee, Mi
Bought a 15 Pro 163 not running too hot but does heat up some in the harder snow here in the midwest. I have read a ton here on Snowest about cooling etc. but have not seen much about the so called ported snowflap. So.... how about a MUCH longer snowflap on these would that help? Seems to me we are loosing most of our cooling snow out the back.

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
PDP

Bought a 15 Pro 163 not running too hot but does heat up some in the harder snow here in the midwest. I have read a ton here on Snowest about cooling etc. but have not seen much about the so called ported snowflap. So.... how about a MUCH longer snowflap on these would that help? Seems to me we are loosing most of our cooling snow out the back.
I don't think it's longer then stock, but I use a PDP flap, which is solid. No issues cooling my wife's big bore Pro, but scratchers are still necessary when the trail is set up.

Ex-Flit

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
North Branch, MN
I found keeping things off the tunnel help. buy a rack that gives an air space. a lot of the tunnel bags help to hold heat but the best thing to do is the $28 kit. 111 degrees all day long in any condition.

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
I put an IQ flap one mine and installed ice storm reversible ice scratchers on my Pro which spends 1/2 its time on the trail when in wife riding mode.

The ice scratchers kick up a lot more snow than stock scratches and I like how the IQ flap seems to keep more snow going where it is needed. I had a longer flap but it was a PITA to dig around whenever I got stuck.

I will eventually get a 'doo thermostat and if I had the $$, I'd consider increasing the cooling surface area on the tunnel with fastrax tunnel coolers

YOOPERREV

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Negaunee, Mi
Thanks for the replies, i would do the $28 upgrade but my dealer is a total PITA and would deny the 3 year warranty on the spot with that! Chances are he will never see the sled but cant risk it if something terrible fails.

W

westhawk39

Dec 7, 2011
Whiteshell MB
Knew a guy one that swore by long snowflaps. His were made from 3/8-1/2" rubber and were fully dragging on the ground before your even sitting on the sled. He would ride when there was 1/2" of snow in town and never overheated

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
We ride the U.P. all the time. On trail or hard pack I would run scratchers down which takes care of any heating up problems. Also, I have a PDP flap but the short one. We didn't see much difference however, I believe the longer PDP flap would be the way to go.

I run the Over the Top Ice storm scratchers because I need them down so much If I accidentally back up with them down it doesn't hurt them. Plus they throw more snow than the stockers or the cable type.

http://www.gobigparts.com/ICE-STORM-REVERSIBLE-SCRATCHER-BY-OVER-THE-TOP-PERFORMANCE.html

http://www.gobigparts.com/Pro-RMK-and-Assault-2011-Long-Snow-Flap.html

Forward%20Position.JPG

PolarisProRMKLongSpecs.png

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
We shut ours down at 190. They start puking antifreeze at 200. Don't like to let them get that hot but when its setup all day long and you're in the trees sometimes it can't be helped.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
If any of you want to sell your stock ported snow flap, I'm in the market for a few. PM me if you have one you want to part with.

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
Never had a problem stock. The long solid flap I run for a bit did run a little cooler on the way to the good stuff but it was a pia in the deep. Did the trs bypass this year for other reasons than overheating on the trail.

YOOPERREV

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Negaunee, Mi
Thank you again for the replies! I am going to try the PDP long flap for this early season snow and maybe the spring snow, and use the stocker when we get some mid season riding. As far as temps 157 is the most i have seen but coming back into the yard is real slow going for about a half mile. Running the power line behind my house i hold 123-127 and if it gets any hotter just a blip will cool it off. Does seem to make more heat in the 5500 rpm range when moving slow. The worst part is our lack of snow and or the concrete condition of it!

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010

PDP helped on my 11, you need to run it longer, and with a strap on it, you can reel it up for the deep, and backing up. Still can be a PITA for anyone yanking on the rear bumper. Cut the corners off if you get one that's square. Better options are adding a cooler or TRS/SD themo. If you can't mod your cooling system due to a PITA dealer and warranty, flap, scratchers, snow on top of tunnel, and technique (spinning enough snow on the coolers before it gets too hot) will be your options. As you may have seen, getting snow spun on them will cool it quickly. You just gotta watch and live with it. FWIW, you're not alone anymore - T3's in particular aren't far behind with the issue.

Premium Features