• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cooling issues

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
There are a lot of questions/threads out there today on how to keep the PRO running cool. I believe these Snowester's should have bought the RMK. When you buy a light weight Mountain Specific sled, you compromise. Cooling capacity on a PRO is not designed,in my opinion, for any type of trail riding. If you go back to the $28 upgrade thread. You will read my comment that the PRO cooling system is marginal at best. Everyone wants a light weight out of the box production sled. The cooling system is the easiest and cheapest place to drop weight for the manufacturer. The snowcheck RMK LE would have been the "best choice" for most. It has all the amenities of the PRO with added cooling.
With all that said, I believe the long snow flap would be a benefit. If you travel along side of a PRO running down the trail you will notice a majority of the snow passes out from under the flap. The scratcher snow does also. There is a down side with a long flap, it's in the way when stuck. It also makes the track pack snow through the tunnel when you are trenching not offering it to exit out behind which in turn slows forward momentum.
My father always said "You reap what you sow"

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Maybe,,, lol adjustable flap for scratcher time and snow fenders for the rear sides of the tunnel will come out soon.

sledhappy

Premium Member
Nov 22, 2008
I found making sure the scratches are at least 2"+ away from the track when down will make a huge difference if they are too close it will not let snow get up where it needs to go. That and that darn flap getting sucked in.

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
Maybe someone should come up with a gas rack or tunnel bag that has a place to carry dry ice that sits in contact with the top of the tunnel to increase Pro RMK trail-ability...

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
I bought the RMK for low snow conditions/better cooling. I have never trail ridden a Pro, only have a few miles on pro models (both belt drive), but It does NOT take long for my std. RMK temp to rise, I was kind of dissapointed. It is about .2 miles maybe to get from the hotel to the trail that I stayed at 3 weeks ago, it is all snow covered but no soft/powder snow available. I let my sled warm up until 110, and took off slowly. By the time I hit the trail it was 155, I had to have my scratchers down every time I made this trek during that trip. My buddy has a 08 RMK 600 155" and he had no issues maintaining temps (125-127) without scratchers down at all, he has the same track as I do.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
I bought the RMK for low snow conditions/better cooling. I have never trail ridden a Pro, only have a few miles on pro models (both belt drive), but It does NOT take long for my std. RMK temp to rise, I was kind of dissapointed. It is about .2 miles maybe to get from the hotel to the trail that I stayed at 3 weeks ago, it is all snow covered but no soft/powder snow available. I let my sled warm up until 110, and took off slowly. By the time I hit the trail it was 155, I had to have my scratchers down every time I made this trek during that trip. My buddy has a 08 RMK 600 155" and he had no issues maintaining temps (125-127) without scratchers down at all, he has the same track as I do.

If you compare the tunnel coolers the IQ (2008 RMK) to the PRO you will notice that the IQ's are nearly twice as wide. Hence the IQ is much much more tolerant of marginal snow conditions, as it holds more coolant and has much more cooler surface area thru which to dissipate the heat.

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
If you compare the tunnel coolers the IQ (2008 RMK) to the PRO you will notice that the IQ's are nearly twice as wide. Hence the IQ is much much more tolerant of marginal snow conditions, as it holds more coolant and has much more cooler surface area thru which to dissipate the heat.

Yeah, I noticed that right away. It isn't a problem if you're smart about it and use scratchers whenever possible, I was just hoping it would be more similar to the 08 IQ RMK, as that was my old sled and could ride that thing anywhere without worrying about it. Just clearing things up for people that just because you have a std. RMK doesn't mean you can go anywhere or do anything with it! It is still a deep snow machine. Now if I could just figure out why my PTO cylinder is 8 PSI less than my Mag side!! :face-icon-small-sad

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
yeah gotta run those scratchers alot if its hard
i wouldn't worry to much about 155 if you start getting upwards of 170
start making a plan to stop or get off into some softer snow

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
yeah gotta run those scratchers alot if its hard
i wouldn't worry to much about 155 if you start getting upwards of 170
start making a plan to stop or get off into some softer snow

Ditto,

If you are able to maintain that temp. or lower on the trail you have nothing to worry about at all.

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
I recommend purchasing a set of Ski-Z scratcher/deflectors. They make a large difference on Pros even if you are running a 3" track like I am. They are not expensive. They are also reversible and very easy to install. You drill a hole in each ski and mount them. It takes 10 minutes. I also put the Ski Doo reversible scratchers on my Pro. They take a little more time to mount (30 minutes). They do their job several inches further forward so more snow is getting up where you need it.

On identical Pros with 156" 3" tracks, the one with the Ski-Z product on it ran 25 degrees cooler on the trail. It solves the trail heating problem very inexpensively
($65). You can Google them to find a dealer who has them.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
My experience with the differences between my Pro and pro chassis RMK - any serious distance on trails, both need scratchers down. I can run farther/longer on the trail before I need scratchers down with the RMK. Once the RMK scratchers are down on the RMK, spinning up snow on the side of the trail to cool it down is much less frequent. I can crawl along in the trees under 155F without spinning up snow much longer with the RMK. The pro chassis RMK with the front cooler is still no where close to being temp tolerant as an IQ, as mentioned. I'll still take the pro chassis RMK.

Both Pros and RMKs are manageable, Pro just takes abit more consideration. Just like both need warmups. I rarely ride in larger groups, anyways, just 2 or 3 of us most days. 4 is a party.

beamslayer

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
We just freeze our beer the night before riding and put them on the tunnel . By the time we get to good riding beer is unfrozen and are pros did not over heat .Just kidding we don't ride trails.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
You can see, in the picture, the reduction in cooling capacity from the IQ to the PRO. Easiest and cheapest place to reduce total weight for the manufacture, compromising cooling.

image.jpg

Premium Features