• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How to split the driving cost!

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
Standard mileage rate for a vehicle is 55.5 cents per mile. That includes fuel and wear and tear on the vehicle. Considering you are pulling a trailer (and if it's your trailer as the driver, you are really getting screwed), that rate should be higher. Figure 20-25 cents of that is fuel, you are paying as much or more in wear and tear as you are in fuel. So as the driver, even if everyone else pays for fuel for both the rig and all the sleds, you are still behind in the financial department if the distance travelled is of any considerable amount.

There are those that believe that fuel is the only cost...those people are DEAD wrong.

schmidty89

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2008
Spirit Lake IA
Sounds like everyone's way is pretty similar to ours.. Four guys drive out the three "riders" pay for fuel.. I like the idea of paying for some/all of the sled fuel. Looking to help out the buddy that always seems to drive aka incur a lot of extra mileage on his vehicles over the years. Our trailer is owned as a group so that helps to evenly spread maintenance. I agree nobody rides for free it's just tough when there's only one truck large enough to tow an enclosed right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
Maybe I should be riding with some of you guys...

Since I have a crew cab diesel I always take my truck and have never been offered more than what fuel was divided by how many were in the truck including me. Most times my girl is with so I end up paying half or 2/5s the bill.

ndC7M8

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2008
Sand Hills, North Dakota
Most of us realize you don't buy a truck to park it in the garage and never use it, so we just divide the fuel equally. If there were three guys, or five guys, you'd still go riding, right? why make the others pay that much more just because you offered to drive your pickup? If depreciation after a couple thousand miles is that big of a deal, maybe a downgrade in tow rig is in order? That seems awfully snobby to me to make someone pay your more money because your truck actually got used in somewhat of a manner it was intended for. $40k-$60k trucks built to tow way bigger loads than a measily sled trailer aren't getting beaten up too bad on trips like this. That truck's gonna get old eventually.

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
Most of us realize you don't buy a truck to park it in the garage and never use it, so we just divide the fuel equally. If there were three guys, or five guys, you'd still go riding, right? why make the others pay that much more just because you offered to drive your pickup? If depreciation after a couple thousand miles is that big of a deal, maybe a downgrade in tow rig is in order? That seems awfully snobby to me to make someone pay your more money because your truck actually got used in somewhat of a manner it was intended for. $40k-$60k trucks built to tow way bigger loads than a measily sled trailer aren't getting beaten up too bad on trips like this. That truck's gonna get old eventually.

Are your tires free? Oil changes free? Coolant flushes? How many miles until the tranny is gonna need a rebuild? What about U-joints, ball joints, die rods, etc. They only go so many miles

All of those are factors in cost of driving....Plus depreciation.

DUKHTR3

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Are your tires free? Oil changes free? Coolant flushes? How many miles until the tranny is gonna need a rebuild? What about U-joints, ball joints, die rods, etc. They only go so many miles

We take my truck and trailer every trip and it is a 2200 mile round trip. We split everything 4 ways plus a little extra cash to wash truck and trailer. I do this to have fun. I really don't care about wear and tear and It sure beats the hell out of driving by myself 2200 miles.

fc8464

Lifetime Membership
Nov 18, 2010
Fairbanks, Alaska 99725
2200 miles is a long trip. We only have to go about 160 miles to ride and thats 1 tank round trip. I could see a little extra for the truck getting washed and maybe dinner or 2, But it is definitly good for those with diesels to get a good run with a load. With the torque management system the truck will feal like its got a extra 25 hoarse when the trips over.

S
Nov 15, 2008
Northern ,wi
Most the time me and my one bud run 2 hrs away so we do one buys fuel one buys lunch/sled gas every other trip. And take my truck/trailer this season his truck last season and next season. Our trips west all in my truck (diesel crew) and my dads trailer usually 3k miles round trip we all pitch in for fuel and room evenly and rest u pay for on ur own (what u eat/sled gas/parts). My thought is this is only fun I get all year I'm doing it anyway so I will pay for my 100 dollar oil change, the percentage of tire wear compaired to just normal driving and the depreciation. I do agree not all people take care of there maintance stuff like they should, some call me ocd lol

W
Nov 10, 2010
I offer to drive my truck but my bud always likes to take his, not paying for his maintenance just because he doesnt like my truck. We split everything 50/50, and dont sweat the little things.

ndC7M8

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2008
Sand Hills, North Dakota

So do you charge the hiway department for wear and tear every other time you drive your truck? Those things you listed are regular maintenance and throw away wear items. You're gonna replace them regardless, and like I said, these newer trucks are built to handle a lot more than a sled trailer. Sounds like you just cringe as you watch your odometer roll higher and higher. I think the tranny comment is just silliness. It's no one's problem but your own if your tranny needs work. That one trip didn't put all the wear and tear on it. Unless your truck is parked every day of the year except for sled trips, you don't have much of an argument. All that stuff you said is acceptable wear and tear. If you're that concerned and tight about stuff, don't drive I guess. I think that's just wrong that you would charge your "friends" more money so you can afford to maintain your own vehicle that you offered to drive. Are they benefiting from it the rest of the year, or are you? That's pretty unfair to me I guess.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
I send out a detailed invoice to each person. There is a signed contract that is due before the trip even begins. It clearly states who pays for what, and if someone forgets to pay for something there is a collection fee, we go into arbitration, each party has a designated attorney to represent them and then...

Are you kidding? We're all adults right?

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
My .02 cents also.

I'm in a bit of a different situation as the guy I ride with 95% of the time owns half of the trailer. That's right, we figured we ride together pretty much all of our trips so we went halves on a trailer that could be nicely pulled behind either truck. On trips to our cabins which is a 550 mile round trip we just alternate buying the gas and call it good. We both end up taking our truck that its pretty close to even throughout the year. On trips out west we average about 2300 miles round trip and for those we just agree on a fuel amount, place the cash in an envelope and whatever is leftover goes to the truck owner. And there is always enough leftover for the truck to be full of fuel, washed and money for an oil change. It's a nice "thanks" to whoever owns the truck. Were buddies and have been for years. I guess we never really put that much pressure on it because as friends neither is out to screw the other guy. I can't imagine having to argue with friends over travel money to go riding.

It's like our wives when the bills comes and they pull out the calculators as the guys each just start dropping 20's and nobody wants change. LOL

allied1

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
SE ND

Haha! I've been known to pay for a trip or two even when I didn't go along!:face-icon-small-dis

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
I'm surprised no one has mentioned all the time and expense of washing the truck and trailer when you get home.... ;)

Over the years I have gone on trips with both extremes; the guys that are super generous and the cheap pricks that seem to think the world owes them a free ride. I will let you guess which ones get invited back. :D

S

SXViper

Nov 26, 2007
Lenexa, Kansas
Wow, some of these get pretty serious!

I will say there is one thing I can't stand. It's the 12-6 months prior "Guy says yeah sure sounds like a blast I'll go" then proceeds with big shot talk but when you try and contact them to make plans it's crickets. Being from the mid-west we're always looking for new guys to join us on trips out west. It seems like we struggle with this every year though. This is where it's nice to have your own means and not have to depend on anyone else.

S
Nov 15, 2008
Northern ,wi
Yeah that is the worst when it's yeah yeah yeah I'm going then no at last minute. Then either while out there or on way back , how was it do u have and vids or pics. Lol

Premium Features