• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Belt Drive on 3"

U

Uncle Bob

Feb 15, 2011
So who is thinking aftermarket belt drive on 3" right out of the gates if they are available

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
So who is thinking aftermarket belt drive on 3" right out of the gates if they are available

It might be easier to start with the Quickdrive models and upgrade a 2.6 to a 3inch track.

Tom at TKILLC is going to have a belt drive kit that gives you the gearing you will need to turn that monster track. And for those guys who want to move their old kit to the 16, you are in luck as you will only have to buy a new mounting plate from Tom (or me).

But if you have the chain case version, I expect it will probably be like the old style where you need to buy a back plate from Polaris before getting Tom's kit.

He no longer makes a kit that fits inside the chain case as the gearing was too limited.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I've taken a stock Pro chassis and upgraded to the 3" track. I know what that costs. ($2100 on my 2013). Takes a lot to set the skid and chassis up for the 3" track.

The TKI belt drive is about 1/3 or 1/4 of that cost.

Unless there is something about the 2016 models that I'm painfully unaware of....for the money I would get the 3" track with the chaincase and then upgrade to the TKI.
IT's WAY more cost effective (1/4 to 1/3 of the cost) and the sled is already set up for the 3" track.

Last edited:

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
C3 will be producing a AXYS RMK belt drive

C3 will have a belt drive for the AYXS RMK chassis as well. Although it is too early to speculate on the details of that and whether he will have both versions for the CC or QD.

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
I've taken a stock Pro chassis and upgraded to the 3" track. I know what that costs. ($2100 on my 2013). Takes a lot to set the skid and chassis up for the 3" track.

The TKI belt drive is about 1/3 or 1/4 of that cost.

Unless there is something about the 2016 models that I'm painfully unaware of....for the money I would get the 3" track with the chaincase and then upgrade to the TKI.
IT's WAY more cost effective (1/4 to 1/3 of the cost) and the sled is already set up for the 3" track.

Unless I am missing something, the chassis will be the same (7" drivers, and same clearance to the bulkhead) for both the 3" and the 2.6" versions. So, again, unless I am the one missing something, a 3" should drop right on to a 2.6 without modifications

U

Uncle Bob

Feb 15, 2011
funny, i eve really considered going that way, will the gear ratio be enough with the stock quick drive . or will we have to change components to get the right ratio

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
The sleds that come with a 3" track and chain case. Will have 3" pitch track & drives. The 2.6" track, with qd has 2.86" pitch track & drivers. So on the qd sleds you will need to change drivers and track and maybe gear ratio depending on elevation. If you're under 5000" the stock qd ratio will be fine imo.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
For chaincase models like the 3" and SKS, Axys bulkhead has the chaincase half molded into the casting. The QD Axys has a different bulkhead casting without the chaincase moulding.

The dynamics of converting an Axys with a chaincase to an aftermarket belt drive might be changing.

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
For chaincase models like the 3" and SKS, Axys bulkhead has the chaincase half molded into the casting. The QD Axys has a different bulkhead casting without the chaincase moulding.

The dynamics of converting an Axys with a chaincase to an aftermarket belt drive might be changing.

Beat me to it! I am doubting there will be an easy way around this by the time the snow flies. Would be much easier to have ordered a 2.6", sell the 2.6" and buy the 3" and the TKI.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Beat me to it! I am doubting there will be an easy way around this by the time the snow flies. Would be much easier to have ordered a 2.6", sell the 2.6" and buy the 3" and the TKI.

True, but we don't know if converting the AXYS chaincase to belt drive is impossible yet.

I could be wrong, but I still think it's more expensive to buy a track (including peripherals of drivers, suspension set up and labor) than it is a belt drive with labor.

U

Uncle Bob

Feb 15, 2011
both tki and c3 intend to have a kit by fall so we wll have to see i guess. coming from a cat i dont know the pain of the first quick drive problems but going from a chain case to an aftermarket belt drive was one of the best things i did on my m800.

nomasittinright

Premium Member
Feb 5, 2009
Aberdeen SD
both tki and c3 intend to have a kit by fall so we wll have to see i guess. coming from a cat i dont know the pain of the first quick drive problems but going from a chain case to an aftermarket belt drive was one of the best things i did on my m800.

I agree completely and after owning both companies belt drives I will be running another TKI, not that there is anything wrong with the C3 kits it's just that Tom is that much better on the phone and customer service

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
It seems to me that swapping the track and drivers on a QD model would be a better way to go. You can sell the Series 6 2.6" track if you want to cover part of the cost. Selling the chain drive is unlikely to yield you much if you do it the other way around. Having had a 2013 Pro with the 162" X3 track and stock gearing, I don't think that the QD Axys will have any trouble pulling the lighter Series 7 3" track. My 13 would pull the X3 track at 8200 to 8300 RPM in deep snow at 8,000'. I believe that the gearing on the Axys Pro QD model is lower than what my 13 Pro was even after going to the 7 tooth drivers. I ordered the 2.6 in a 163" because I wanted the QD and the lighter weight. Swapping to a 3" Series 7 was always an option in the back of my mind. However, I think that the new 2.6 series track is going to be all that I need.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
The manual start 163 x 2.6 with a light can and the HO motor is going to have an incredible power to weight ratio and also a footprint/mass ratio that have never before ben seen in production sleds, let alone customized sleds. The Axys should perform like a turbo sled with the older chassis. Remember the 2.6 may have less traction but due to its lighter weight, it will have better floatation then the 3". If you get stuck with the 2.6 track, it will be all pilot error. I expect the feel of the 3" compared to the 2.6" will be like comparing a 2015 163 v.s a 155 for agility, track speed and playfulness, yet the traction will be much closer. The stock QD gearing will spin these new big tracks but when the track is loaded with heavy snow, you are going to burn clutch belts, the chain drive gearing will be fine on clutch belt but does come with a weight penalty. Also if you added electric start, that's another 23 lbs.

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
True, but we don't know if converting the AXYS chaincase to belt drive is impossible yet.

I could be wrong, but I still think it's more expensive to buy a track (including peripherals of drivers, suspension set up and labor) than it is a belt drive with labor.

No, you're right. But for the guy that wants his sled to have a 3" and TKI the day the snow flies, I think it would've been easier to guarantee yourself that setup if you just ordered the 2.6. I'm sure lots of Pro guys will want that 2.6 track so it should be worth a good chunk of change. We'll see, I for one can't wait for all of the axys parts to come out!

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Poo will be asking a premium price for the 2.6, at least in the first year, compared to a CamoX, etc., so it will likely be a seller's market for the 2.6. First year OEM tracks are always like this. I thought I saw a suggested price for the 2.6 just short of $900US this spring.

Pro owners are going to want to swap stock drivers, or trim the 2.6 below the coolers to run a 2.6. But they will buy them.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I rode the 2.6...

Almost identical to the Camoplast 9174M or 9175M... This is, IMO, the best "swiss army knife" of mountain tracks out there...I'm expecting the same from the 2.6" which is 0.10" taller lug and center ported.

Premium Features