• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Extreme avalanche danger McCall area.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
There is an avalanche warning out, and based on the snow I have seen over the last two weeks, there WILL be issues today. There is a VERY slick hard layer under almost everywhere, with 2-3 feet of heavy snow and rain on top. The hard layer is so slick in places that we had a hard time stopping sleds on low hills when there was a foot of fresh on it.
People are going to be getting buried today if they don't use their heads.
Chris

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Somewhere around Wong's. Heard of another around "North Face"? No idea where that is. In a little swamp we like to tear up, there are some very large rocks/hills, half of one slid. I think the sound of our engines broke it free, as there was bare rock showing when we got there and 15 minutes later it had fresh snow on it.

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Rode West Mtn today and can report that an extremely dangerous shear layer exists beneath the recent 1 to 3 feet of fresh snow. It is something we should all keep monitoring.

Maybe it will bond :noidea: but more likely to cause trouble. :face-icon-small-fro

:face-icon-small-coo

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Someone kicked one north of Brundage today, last I heard he was ok but they were trying to figure out how to get a $20K mod out from under 6 feet of avalanche snow in an area that nobody with any common sense should have been in these conditions today.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Heh, strangely enough, there are trees coming down left and right from the snow load. One BIG one busted loose tonight right next to the Brundage lot. Sounded scary.

S
Jan 29, 2010
Meridian ID
Snow conditions

Chris
How are the snow conditions with all this new snow? Has the snow layers bound together yet? I know they conditions were horrible a few weeks ago when I was up there and will be heading up in the next few days and want to make sure things are a little safer. Plus pm me your number as I'm always looking for someone to ride with if you ever are short on riding buddies. I drive by every weekend to McCall so there is always room either on the sled deck or in the trailer.

Thanks for the info

Premium Features