• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Summer overhaul, opinions please!

C

CDK

Sep 5, 2011
Ok gents, here's the deal. I currently have a 2012 switchback assault that I got last fall. Sort of acquired it by accident, but couldn't pass it up. However, it's not set up for the type of riding I like, which is steep and deep, with a tree or two. So, I've decided my summer mission will be turn it into my dream machine. Now, before anyone chimes in "Just sell it and buy a 2013!", it's just not an option. So with that said, continuing on......

Current plan:

- ditch the SBA rear suspension, convert to pro rear skid, or aftermarket if a deal pops up (will go aftermarket regardless sooner of later)
- Ice age 163 rails, anti stab
- since I have a front cooler and therefore no room, an Avid extended chaincase will grant me soon much needed real estate for a taller lug, plus help the attack angle
- track choice is pending, but I'm leaning towards a 2.5" challenger extreme, 3" pitch
- Avid anti ratchet drivers to match whatever track I choose
- chop off the ****ty factory running boards and the little wings that stick out on the rear end of the tunnel (nothing but snow collectors anyways!)
- I'm going to get new tunnel sides cut on a CNC water jet that resemble a VA tunnel (love that look!) which will also extend my tunnel to match the longer track. I will also have to extend the top portion of the tunnel rearwards to match
- tubular running boards, maybe Airframes but I'm open to suggestions
- fabricate a strong tubular rear bumper that can handle a sno bungee
- I'd like either a Boss seat, or maybe a 2013 shorty

That will take care of the rear. Front end:

- I already pulled the sway bar, night and day difference for side hilling
- I'm thinking 39" front end, shorter shocks to match (shock choice contingent on what sort of deal I find on Snowest)
- new bumper, not picky here but I do tend to mow down the occasional tree....
- As for the motor, I was really interested in a HM turbo with the Vipec, but now I'm leaning towards a big bore for reliability and initial cost. The RKT 858 looks interesting, just waiting for some more testing results before I pull the trigger there. (and we all know a turbo can be added later if need be!)

Those are the major upgrades planned. Of course, there will be other mods required, like venting and such, but I'll cross that bridge later. Big plan is to have it all together by next winter before the snow flies. I plan on collecting all the parts first, and then tearing it down and rebuilding it all in one shot. Right now, I need some advice in regards to starting points for clutching and gearing. Should I use the stock Pro as a starting point, or is there a better way to spend my money and do it right the first time? Any other advice you guys have would be appreciated, I know there's a wealth of info on this site. If I'm missing something major in my initial plan, by all means chime in! Just please no comments on how I shouldn't build a SBA.

Last edited:

beamslayer

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
All sounds great go for it and report back on the 858 kit. Add pics

R

roni87

Feb 11, 2011
I Falls, MN
Is the front cooler the same size as on the standard rmk? I had a standard last season and It seemed that a 2.5 would work ok without any mods.

Wondering cuz I was planning on buying a switchback and putting a 146x2.5 on it.

Mods list looks good...
rear bumper: alot of people use a cat m-series rear bumper.
Tether!

put up some pics when you get parts rollin in:face-icon-small-hap

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
CDK, if you can afford it, KMOD can supply you with several items on your wish list:
1) Awesome aftermarket rear suspension - get the Raptor package if you can
2) Rails in the length you want - even get powder coated for a few extra $$$
(I know who he uses to powder coat stuff and they know their stuff when it comes to coating rails!!!!!!)
3) Anti-stab

and is currently 10% off for a complete package.

http://www.kmodsnowmobileparts.com/k_mod_webstie_01-14-2012_005.htm

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Here's my take:

Current plan:

- ditch the SBA rear suspension, convert to pro rear skid, or aftermarket if a deal pops up (will go aftermarket regardless sooner of later)
I think the stock Pro skid is great with better shocks, you should find one for a good price (someone who swapped out)
- Ice age 163 rails, anti stab
- since I have a front cooler and therefore no room, an Avid extended chaincase will grant me soon much needed real estate for a taller lug, plus help the attack angle
I'd remove the cooler, and I'm a bigger fan of track speed (more below)
- track choice is pending, but I'm leaning towards a 2.5" challenger extreme, 3" pitch
The CE was awesome on the IQ where the 2.5 didn't work well, but on the Pro the 5.1 does much better. I'm leaning toward trimming my 2.5 down a nitch and going with more track speed on an already light sled.
- Avid anti ratchet drivers to match whatever track I choose
- chop off the ****ty factory running boards and the little wings that stick out on the rear end of the tunnel (nothing but snow collectors anyways!)
I'm thinking of adding the 2013 boards to my 2011 sled. Cheaper than the airframes with the ability to replace if they too get bent up.
- I'm going to get new tunnel sides cut on a CNC water jet that resemble a VA tunnel (love that look!) which will also extend my tunnel to match the longer track. I will also have to extend the top portion of the tunnel rearwards to match
- tubular running boards, maybe Airframes but I'm open to suggestions
- fabricate a strong tubular rear bumper that can handle a sno bungee
- I'd like either a Boss seat, or maybe a 2013 shorty
Do some research on this, I haven't had one but there are a lot of complaints on how well they have held up and how well the warranty was.

- As for the motor, I was really interested in a HM turbo with the Vipec, but now I'm leaning towards a big bore for reliability and initial cost. The RKT 858 looks interesting, just waiting for some more testing results before I pull the trigger there. (and we all know a turbo can be added later if need be!)
If I had the money I think I would go for the Carl's 910 Probably the most reputable Polaris motor guy. I've turned away from a turbo setup because I'm more of a trees guy than a high marker.

L
Jul 27, 2011
www.facebook.com
If your thinking about doing all that, a hm turbo is 6 grand...it looks like your going to put a bunch of money into this thing...i know you said not an option for a 2013...but dude...lol seems like your putting a lot of money into it...

rick5150

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2012
mpls
Now, before anyone chimes in "Just sell it and buy a 2013!", it's just not an option. So with that said, continuing on......QUOTE]

The way i read this theres only 2 ways its not an option..you either have a stolen sled or a totaled one....otherwise what your doing makes ZERO sense...whats your logic here?

I currently own a SBA snowchecked 2"paddle and will be selling it since i snowchecked a 13 pro and couldnt even fathom what your doing right now to get to the point of a mountain sled the pricing just doesnt add up? :loco:

R
Dec 28, 2009
Lynnwood, Wa
Now, before anyone chimes in "Just sell it and buy a 2013!", it's just not an option. So with that said, continuing on......QUOTE]

The way i read this theres only 2 ways its not an option..you either have a stolen sled or a totaled one....otherwise what your doing makes ZERO sense...whats your logic here?

I currently own a SBA snowchecked 2"paddle and will be selling it since i snowchecked a 13 pro and couldnt even fathom what your doing right now to get to the point of a mountain sled the pricing just doesnt add up? :loco:

to each their own...maybe he just likes to build?
If you do a skid, go Kmod, it'll be better and probably in the same ballpark as a stock skid if you don't find a used one. And Raptor shocks come on it, ALWAYS go Raptor. Jake, the owner, is the best guy I have ever dealt with in any aftermarket setting, no just suspension, he will literally answer every question you might have! He helped me get my front end dialed in and I swear by his shocks now!! :face-icon-small-coo

C

CDK

Sep 5, 2011
Finally got some input, thanks guys! Ok, let's address the critics first....

I was hoping by saying "Now, before anyone chimes in "Just sell it and buy a 2013!", it's just not an option.", that would be enough and we could just talk about the build. Obviously people get hung up on the reasoning, and decide to jump to conclusions that I stole it or totalled it. How about the simpler explanation, my girlfriend is getting the new snocheck, and I am fulfilling my dream of a full mod? You gotta realize, there are guys on this site who buy a brand new sled and do twice as much as what I've listed to make their dream mountain machine. I could have started with a new RMK, and still done the extended chaincase, track swap, avid drivers, aftermarket front end, aftermarket rear skid, big bore, etc.......people do this on a regular basis! Who cares if I start with a SBA and make all the same changes as people who mod an RMK? Sure, I probably could sweet talk her into eventually letting me trade off the SBA, but then I'd want to mod out the 2013 rmk to handle turbo or big bore power. IMO, not a whole lot of difference where I start. Rant over, moving on....

roni87, big reason I am doing the Avid is cause I want the lower attack angle, and I really want to keep the front cooler for extra cooling. This way I guarantee less parasitic loss from snow getting packed in the front.

richracer1, I am in love with the KMOD, but I'm not sure if the budget will allow it this year. Guess we'll have to see how the stock pro skid will handle the power when I'm vertical up a chute in Revy....shocks will be mandatory, I'm sure.

BugIto, good input man, thanks a lot. I am gonna keep the front cooler for now, I think the added cooling will be beneficial in the long run. It can always come out if it becomes an issue. Wouldn't be the first time a sled got torn down in my shop 3 times in one winter....haha! I did read some reviews on the Boss, and now I tend to agree with you. I'm leaning towards the 2013 seat now. As of right now, I've found a fabricator who's willing to swap labor with me to build a custom set of boards, so looks like I'm getting a one-of-a-kind set to match the custom tunnel.

Again, thanks guys, appreciate all the input. The project is looking better and better all the time, I've found quite a few people to sell my stock SBA parts to, so cost is looking better all the time. I'm going to keep a running total, just to see what it's going to set me back.

C

CDK

Sep 5, 2011
to each their own...maybe he just likes to build?
If you do a skid, go Kmod, it'll be better and probably in the same ballpark as a stock skid if you don't find a used one. And Raptor shocks come on it, ALWAYS go Raptor. Jake, the owner, is the best guy I have ever dealt with in any aftermarket setting, no just suspension, he will literally answer every question you might have! He helped me get my front end dialed in and I swear by his shocks now!! :face-icon-small-coo

AMEN! Thanks brother, glad to see someones on my side. Been checking out the raptor shocks, they look like the ticket. If I can't afford the KMOD skid, definately going to run Raptors with the stock Pro skid.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
If you do a skid, go Kmod, it'll be better and probably in the same ballpark as a stock skid if you don't find a used one. And Raptor shocks come on it, ALWAYS go Raptor.
Just an FYI, the Raptors are a $150 upgrade to the standard KMOD kit. I believe the std shocks are some version of the Fox Float2s.

Jake, the owner, is the best guy I have ever dealt with in any aftermarket setting, no just suspension, he will literally answer every question you might have! He helped me get my front end dialed in and I swear by his shocks now!! Jake is the brains behind Raptor shocks, not the KMOD suspension. The KMOD guru is Kevin.
:face-icon-small-coo

Just making sure CDK has the proper info.

Seabass152

Premium Member
Jun 3, 2009
Truckee, Ca
If your doin rear raptors, I think it's 1200 for just the rear shocks? What's the kmod with rear raptors??

Not sure what KMODS are going for or if a different skid is an option, but I posted in a different thread that Toms is selling a few of his new skids for $1500 with Fox shocks. Just an FYI

C

CDK

Sep 5, 2011
Well, took waaaay longer than expected, but I finally started tearing into the sled. Looks like I'm gonna get the engine work of the way first. RKT 858, here we go.

Starting product:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350779777.556769.jpg

About an hour later:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350779821.375721.jpg

Popped the head and loosened the air box so I could get at the fuel rail bolts. Smashed a few knuckles there....
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350779975.563924.jpg

Got the jugs off. Pistons look pretty, anybody want 'em?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350780092.690452.jpg

Just gotta box it up and ship it off.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350780204.551253.jpg

Once this stuff is shipped off to Kelsey, I gotta decide on the fuel box and pipe. I'm leaning towards the PCV right now, but end game is a Vipec so I can eventually turbo. Anybody messed around with the auto tune function for the Power Commander?

C

CDK

Sep 5, 2011
Haha, pretty sure a hefty chunk of it will get pushed off, depending on snow conditions where I live. Busy summer killed my plans.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
GET THAT ESTART OUT OF THERE!
Anyways IFFFF I was was you.... I would say scrap the whole 163 idea, do a driver change and a 146x2.5, have ice age make you some rails, timbersled rear suspension, zbroz 36" front end, raptors all the way around, airframes, skins bumpers, diamond S mesh hood, 13 pro seat, a wrap with a crazy color combo, powder coated top to bottom, belt driven, and an HM Turbo... JMO. Oh and don't forget, CF chassis. :face-icon-small-win

Last edited:
C

CDK

Sep 5, 2011
Other than the CF chassis, that all sounds perfect! Haha. There IS a limit to my imaginary sled fund....

I am leaning towards keeping the 144 length though, I rode with a turbo'd 144 in the mountains last year, and that guy was a riot. Really had to keep his track speed up to climb with the long tracks, but boy was he fun to watch in the trees!

Premium Features