• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2012 Polaris RMK wits end!

S

Summitstef

Nov 26, 2007
In a forest, somewhere in Alberta
So, I've been having a constant battle with my new to me '12 RMK standard. Took it out last weekend, wouldn't go in reverse. Dropped it off at Riverside and the TPS was adjusted. Picked it up today, and took it out for a quick rip this evening only to find that:

- Barely holds RPM
- Fouling PTO side plug after warm up to 100 degrees F, and about 5 minutes of riding

I have checked the usual suspects:

- Compression is @ 120 on PTO and MAG
- No throwing of codes on the display

I want to get this addressed and corrected asap as I have a planned ride for next weekend and will be leaving Thursday after work…I hope... Kinda pi$$ed off that it isn't fixed..please help??

D
I have a 12 also and had the same issues. Wouldn't go into reverse once I road it for a while. It was a bad wire harness that Polaris was aware of. They replaced it after many trips back. They have a plug kit that fills all the unused connections. Water was traveling down the wires to the TPS. So now it only acts up once in a while. It brings back the days when we all had to pull our sleds by hand to go backwards.

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
I had similar problems with my '12. Still might, but think i found the possible culprit. I was having bad TPS symptoms, no codes, intermittent bogging.

Found a connector that was loose in the TPS female plug. The seal was crimped into the connector poorly and was torn apart, which left the connector a lot of room to wiggle around. I sure hope that was my problem...

image.jpg

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
They did the TPS.. Adjustment WRONG..

If the Pto Side Cyl is Fouling plugs.. Bingo!!

The Throttle Bodys Are not Equal..

Redo the TPS.. Steps.. ALL of them..

How does the tps affect if the throttle bodies are equal and how would the throttle bodies not be equal?:face-icon-small-con

S

Summitstef

Nov 26, 2007
Its getting worse!!!

So now after having the sled at a different dealer for a futher inpsection for over 2 weeks now and the work so far has been performed:

- New reeds
- Throttle cable and oil pump are to spec
- TPS checked...AGAIN and is to be at spec
- Exhaust Valves insepected and are good

Now running a bill close to $900 and counting, the dealer is telling me they can't figure out the problem...which is REALLY annoying me now...and I was informed they are now calling Polaris in Roseau for further assistance....I just want this damned thing fixed already!

Anyone have any ideas what the F%^( is wrong with this machine??

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
How does the tps affect if the throttle bodies are equal and how would the throttle bodies not be equal?:face-icon-small-con

There is a adjustment to that can put the throttle bodies out of sync. Some guess mistake it for the oil screw.

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
As mentioned several times already:

Throttle plates sync'd to each other?

Fuel injectors tested / replaced?

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
Had an 11 with similar issues. A wire had rubbed raw against the motor mount and was causing all kinds of weird issues like you describe although I don't recall the reverse problem but, then again, I am not sure that I tried to run it in reverse when it was exhibiting symptoms. Towed it out once and limped it out several times. It was an easy fix once it was traced. Good dealer and under warranty. No charge for multiple repairs that it didn't really need and the one that it did.

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
If all the mechanicals are to specifications, it would tend to point to electrical. Those types of Gremlins are the hardest to find. Good luck and please post what you find, when you find it.

S

Summitstef

Nov 26, 2007
As mentioned several times already:

Throttle plates sync'd to each other?

Fuel injectors tested / replaced?

Update: Called the shop again this morning, asked if they checked the throttle plates were synced and fuel injector flow, service manager says yeah yeah we checked all of that and says the throttle switch was toast and they ordered one and hangs up the phone.
Not even 5 minutes later, he calls me back and says "would you mind repeating what you just told me to my mechanic?"
I repeat the same convo and the guy says, "I didn't even think of that…."

Holy $hit!! Are these guys trained monkeys? Thank you for all the suggested trouble spots as its apparent these guys at the dealer can't think for themselves???

Stay tuned……...

NapaMatt

Matryx 850 Pow Slayer!
Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2009
Stewartville, MN
www.napaonline.com
:face-icon-small-dis

There are two screws at the TB"S.

One is IDLE..

Other one is .. Sync.. screw adjusts the Mag side Throttle Body..

This is like the old days.. Of putting Hacksaw blades under the throttle bores.. And syncing them so when your pressing on the throttle flipper.. Each carb or Throttle body is moving at the same time.. and having the same movement

Most can't set this screw ... can only count how many it was then set it back the same..

If it was off.. its going to be off till corrected.. With EGTS..

R
Oct 8, 2008
The guy who did my top end in my 11 Assault said he had a customer who had a low idle and would not go I to reverse. He told the customer not to ride it and bring the sled in because he knew what could have happened. He inspected the pistons and one had a chunk missing from the top. Compression was fine needed pistons and the metal went out the exhaust.

Just a thought

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
My 11 pro was acting up,cutting out missing fouling plugs ,just a POS had the TPS reset and in the Manuel your supposed to sync the throttle bodies first before setting the TPS, any way had all of that done, still acted up! Almost stranded in the back country! Wouldn't rev past 6K sometimes, changed the VR ,the CDI swapped ECU with a freind!checked all the switches throttle switch kill teather all of them,ordered a wiring harness, installed harness now runs great! Not the first time I have changed a Polaris harness!

Premium Features