• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Summit 850: Ratchet, Slap, Rocks and Carnage!!

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Christopher, you definitely picked the wrong time to have sleds in shop. Last week was epic. If I knew how to post pictures I would depress you with them. Best snow I've rode in a few years.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Christopher, you definitely picked the wrong time to have sleds in shop. Last week was epic. If I knew how to post pictures I would depress you with them. Best snow I've rode in a few years.
This is from Tog Today
I will be riding there on Friday.

16142709_10154690774821075_7876766546137949868_n.jpg

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Been riding for 48 years, been in, and seen, my share of wrecks, including the tear-off of a-arms and pretzeled trailing arms from rock, tree, and stump impacts and ghost rides. Never seen that much damage from such a low speed shot. Your attitude is good for the soul and high emotional intelligence - rest assured, your son didn't have a 1:1000 crazy event. There was a bigger issue there, materials, moulding, or design, it's like a cracked egg. Best of luck with the hand dealt!

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
Thought i would jump in here and comment on my poor busted up sled.

It came as quite a surprise to hear that I had also busted the E-Mod. I know that that day at Tog we took a few good hits but nothing as solid as what you have all seen in the video.

I am just hoping that we will see the sled back in time to get some riding in this year.

I have got to hand it to BRP the sled was a blast while i had it out. I know that this summer we will be adding in what I am sure will be a good number of mods. They are sure to include some forms of strengthening and we will take it as a good lesson to wait a couple weeks for the rocks to be covered with base.

So whos gonna lend me a sled for my avy course this weekend? haha

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
I completely disagree with the politically correct response of not fully blaming BRP. Nonsense. a arms should bend first, period. I would be raising the roof demanding a better response if i owned one, which i nearly did. companies respond to people that are unhappy with their products, not people who fold like a delicate little flower and dont speak up. i dont know many people that would be ok with their $14.000 sled being worth pennies on the resale market because of an engineering F*ck up that was never fixed. I sure as heck would not buy a used 2017 850 doo unless there was an update.

I also believe it is total insanity to rebuild the sled with the same junk parts, without any updates. again, demanding more would likely lead to an updated unit. so every time you take a good hit it costs you 5 g's and your season, thats a good deal?

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
I completely disagree with the politically correct response of not fully blaming BRP. Nonsense. a arms should bend first, period. I would be raising the roof demanding a better response if i owned one, which i nearly did. companies respond to people that are unhappy with their products, not people who fold like a delicate little flower and dont speak up. i dont know many people that would be ok with their $14.000 sled being worth pennies on the resale market because of an engineering F*ck up that was never fixed. I sure as heck would not buy a used 2017 850 doo unless there was an update.

I also believe it is total insanity to rebuild the sled with the same junk parts, without any updates. again, demanding more would likely lead to an updated unit. so every time you take a good hit it costs you 5 g's and your season, thats a good deal?

Thats pretty much my thoughts too. Christopher keeps saying he is new to these "light weight 2 strokes" and says its his fault its broke, and thats OK, cause it ran great before it broke. Well guess what, Polaris has been lighter then ski-doo for 7 years now, and the Axys is STILL lighter then the new G4 chassis even after BRP reduced the fuel capacity, went to the 3.5" pitch track, and made the egg shell bulk head. Polaris keeps bending $200.00 A-arms and BRP keeps bending / breaking the main structure of the chassis.
How do you not see that as a HUGE problem? This is not ment to be a brand bashing post, its just the best way to compare 2 "light weight 2 strokes" and is a legit question. Eric

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
Ive been bouncing back and forth between snowest, Dootalk, snow and mud, BCR, reading the forums and worried sick about what a huge piece of crap I bought, and didnt even want to ride it anymore,
Then I realised the same people are posting across these forums are the same people,
So 1 or 2 smashed bulkeheads now look like
4 belt blowers look like 8,
Now take the guys that dont have a Gen4.. my buddy was at the dealer and saw 4 bulkheads broken, buddys on his 10th belt, heard of a cracked cylinder ect. THAT amplifies the worry I have
exponentially!
Now we have non Gen4 owners spouting how angry they are and how this is bull**** BRP has to do something!!!!!!
Really What the **** is going on here??
Fake News!?!?
I have 200 miles of pissed off abusive miles on mine
Barrell rolled, pounded into tree's, full throttle down the trail without letting off forever...
Guess what?
I have brake dust!!!
And scratches!!!
So "IMO" for now
My sled is great!
We will know what kind of "real" issue's we have soon
But I would guess at a production casting issue-->
For the bulkheads.
And user and dealer error on the belt issue's..
I asked my friend what RPM
His gen4 was running on the trail----> shoulder shrug!!!!!!
What clutching changes for low elevation....
Should ****ing shrug!!!!!!
Sorry for the rant!

Tree Boss

Lifetime Membership
Jan 11, 2009
Franklin County ID
I am just shy of 400 miles and this sled is the funnest sled I've rode for a stock sled.

I know some have blown belts and some have cracked modules which sucks but it still doesn't take the fun factor away from my sled.

Coming from a 12 pro 155 to a 15 pro 155 to this new 850 leaves me wondering where this sled has been all my life hahaha!

The 15 pro has a Northstar kit in it and even on its best day it couldn't dream of touching the power of this 850 and the new chassis helps me get the sled on edge with no effort therefore leaving me with energy at the end of the day.

My point of this post is I've never been happier with a sled!

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Ive been bouncing back and forth between snowest, Dootalk, snow and mud, BCR, reading the forums and worried sick about what a huge piece of crap I bought, and didnt even want to ride it anymore,
Then I realised the same people are posting across these forums are the same people,
So 1 or 2 smashed bulkeheads now look like
4 belt blowers look like 8,
Now take the guys that dont have a Gen4.. my buddy was at the dealer and saw 4 bulkheads broken, buddys on his 10th belt, heard of a cracked cylinder ect. THAT amplifies the worry I have
exponentially!
Now we have non Gen4 owners spouting how angry they are and how this is bull**** BRP has to do something!!!!!!
Really What the **** is going on here??
Fake News!?!?
I have 200 miles of pissed off abusive miles on mine
Barrell rolled, pounded into tree's, full throttle down the trail without letting off forever...
Guess what?
I have brake dust!!!
And scratches!!!
So "IMO" for now
My sled is great!
We will know what kind of "real" issue's we have soon
But I would guess at a production casting issue-->
For the bulkheads.
And user and dealer error on the belt issue's..
I asked my friend what RPM
His gen4 was running on the trail----> shoulder shrug!!!!!!
What clutching changes for low elevation....
Should ****ing shrug!!!!!!
Sorry for the rant!
It is not just 4 sleds!
My dealer admitted they have a few broken bulkheads(or modules, what ever they are called), this is the same dealer that did not admit to the 08's blowing belts.

The G4 is not a pile of crap waiting to explode but the bulkhead will break easier than the rest of the mountain sleds. There needs to be a 'fix' to make these more durable to the masses.

I was very close to buying a G4, i am very excited with the direction BRP is going.

I walked away from Doo back in March of 2006 because of the weak Rev, first and only sled i have totalled in my 25yrs of riding sleds.
I will not buy a Doo till they prove to me that they have built a durable chassis, i had hoped this G4 was the sled to bring me back, sadly it is not.

Maybe next year, if they narrow the boards and strengthen the bulkhead?
(And get rid of "T-motion")

GS6

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Weak bulk head

It is not just 4 sleds!
My dealer admitted they have a few broken bulkheads(or modules, what ever they are called), this is the same dealer that did not admit to the 08's blowing belts.

The G4 is not a pile of crap waiting to explode but the bulkhead will break easier than the rest of the mountain sleds. There needs to be a 'fix' to make these more durable to the masses.

I was very close to buying a G4, i am very excited with the direction BRP is going.

I walked away from Doo back in March of 2006 because of the weak Rev, first and only sled i have totalled in my 25yrs of riding sleds.
I will not buy a Doo till they prove to me that they have built a durable chassis, i had hoped this G4 was the sled to bring me back, sadly it is not.

GS6

Well said.
I agree 100% with your post.
The 2018 sleds would have to prove to me that they are stronger before I'd buy one.

D
Mar 13, 2014
It is not just 4 sleds!

GS6

If you plan to wrap it in Seachickens please don't ever come back to Doo.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
For the life of me, I never understood why all mfr's have not engineered a sacrificial, easily changed part that goes between the A-arms and bulkhead. Something that can fold or collapse. Maybe even offer them in different thicknesses or strengths to accommodate different types of riding...stronger for mogul bashers, weaker for tree bashers.
I don't believe making the A-arms the weak point is best either, make it something cheap and simple to change. A simple honeycomb aluminum block comes to mind.
Ok...rant over. :)

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007

G4s are worth only pennies on the resale market? I wish! I'd buy another one. Don't hit rocks and you'll be fine. If you're a likely rock hitter, don't get a Doo. If you're really worried about it, install GnR braces and Alt Impact a-arms. That would run you about $750, plus wrenching time. Funny how the extreme indignation is coming from guys who don't own G4s. Mine has been flawless so far. And it rips.

D
Mar 13, 2014
G4s are worth only pennies on the resale market? I wish! I'd buy another one. Don't hit rocks and you'll be fine. If you're a likely rock hitter, don't get a Doo. If you're really worried about it, install GnR braces and Alt Impact a-arms. That would run you about $750, plus wrenching time. Funny how the extreme indignation is coming from guys who don't own G4s. Mine has been flawless so far. And it rips.

My brother got a G4 and is a beginner. I started reading all this and playing really close attention to heat etc and it is never hot at all. The machine has been perfect.

Premium Features