• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Summit 850: Ratchet, Slap, Rocks and Carnage!!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
On her way towards being fully repaired.

3d5fd9f92bb8fe43f5fab84ef54cd647.jpg

Last edited:

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
Right now I am dying!
All the crazy weather of late has DELAYED my repair parts and the Avy Class starts next friday morning.

its going to come RIGHT DOWN TO THE WIRE to get back on the snow.

My fingers are crossed for you three to get those sleds back on the snow. See you in Tog for some fun!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
UPDATE..

Just got a call from Rexburg Motor Sports with an update on all 3 of my sleds.

Sleds #1 and #2 (Mine and my youngest son's) are done.
Those are the 2 with the broken chain cases and bent tunnels.
Will have an itemized invoice with all the details to share with you guys in the next day or two.

Sled #3, (my oldest son's) is more damaged that previously thought.
In the process of removing the fractured S Module, it was discovered that the E-Module was also cracked and has to be replaced as well. :Cry:
You can only imagine our disappointment at this news.

Honestly its hard for us to reconcile the amount of damage this sled has sustained from the one real hit it took. The three of us love these sleds, no doubt about it, but we MUST find a way to strengthen them so that something like this never happens again. Whatever happened when the sled hit that buried rock at Togwotee had to be "EXACTLY" perfect to cause so much damage. I can't help but believe this is a 1 in a thousand crazy event.

Sadly, my dealer is telling me that BRP is weeks out on parts for this sled. So my son won't be riding his new sled for sometime yet. And this weekend we are booked into a 3 day Avalanche certification course. So right now it looks like we may have to bite the bullet and put him back on my Yamaha Turbo Viper as the backup sled so he can attend the course.
The thought of "renting" a sled for 3 days at the lodge makes me ill!!

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
UPDATE..

Just got a call from Rexburg Motor Sports with an update on all 3 of my sleds.

Sleds #1 and #2 (Mine and my youngest son's) are done.
Those are the 2 with the broken chain cases and bent tunnels.
Will have an itemized invoice with all the details to share with you guys in the next day or two.

Sled #3, (my oldest son's) is more damaged that previously thought.
In the process of removing the fractured S Module, it was discovered that the E-Module was also cracked and has to be replaced as well. :Cry:
You can only imagine our disappointment at this news.

Honestly its hard for us to reconcile the amount of damage this sled has sustained from the one real hit it took. The three of us love these sleds, no doubt about it, but we MUST find a way to strengthen them so that something like this never happens again. Whatever happened when the sled hit that buried rock at Togwotee had to be "EXACTLY" perfect to cause so much damage. I can't help but believe this is a 1 in a thousand crazy event.

Sadly, my dealer is telling me that BRP is weeks out on parts for this sled. So my son won't be riding his new sled for sometime yet. And this weekend we are booked into a 3 day Avalanche certification course. So right now it looks like we may have to bite the bullet and put him back on my Yamaha Turbo Viper as the backup sled so he can attend the course.
The thought of "renting" a sled for 3 days at the lodge makes me ill!!

So just how big is this problem if BRP is weeks out on parts for these sleds???
I'm surprised that your ok with how weak these parts are.

Polaris Cats and Yamahas are not having this problem.
There rode in the same spots with next to no problems.
I've seen lots of sleds take hits like that sled did with no problems.
I had my 2012 cat ghost ride down a mountain. It went over rocks end over end. I rode it to the truck with bent front suspension/steering and no brakes. Insurance almost wrote it off because of the damage. That was 5 years ago. I took the payout fixed it up and I'm still ridin it.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So just how big is this problem if BRP is weeks out on parts for these sleds???
I'm surprised that your ok with how weak these parts are.

Polaris Cats and Yamahas are not having this problem.
There rode in the same spots with next to no problems.
I've seen lots of sleds take hits like that sled did with no problems.
I had my 2012 cat ghost ride down a mountain. It went over rocks end over end. I rode it to the truck with bent front suspension/steering and no brakes. Insurance almost wrote it off because of the damage. That was 5 years ago. I took the payout fixed it up and I'm still ridin it.

Apparently the part they can't get hold of is the Left Front Spindle.
The S-Mod and E-Mod are both available.

But the spindles are in short supply.
They found several dealers that had stock listed in inventory, but none of them actually had the part to transfer, and so far they have not been able to get one from the manufacturer.

As for me being OK.

What possible good would come from me Yelling and Screaming and trying to trash BRP and say its all their fault?

NONE.

I know they are following this thread.
I have spoken to corporate about this.
They have watched the video and know about the damage.

Its a serious balancing act.

Everyone demands a LIGHTER sled.
Everyone wants a sled that doesn't break and takes a beating.

Those two goals are in direct opposition to each other.
Finding the sweet spot of having the lightest most durable sled is obviously a HARD THING to do with mountain riders who tend to beat the living bat snot out of their sleds, but who are also the smallest market segment for a manufacturer to address.

So I learned long ago to be patient.

I dove headfirst into the first year release of a brand new sled and knowingly took it out for a ride in a BOULDER FIELD covered by fresh snow with NO BASE. Because of this I have accept a WHOLE LOT OF RESPONSIBILITY for the damage.

I may not like the outcome, but I just can't sit here and blame BRP for it.

If I had waited a week or two
, my sleds would NOT be broken.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I agree with how ur handling this Christopher.
It is NOT BRPs fault that people are breaking their sleds.
I do NOT think BRP should warranty these parts.

I do firmly believe BRP needs to revisit the design of the bulkhead and either modify it or make a brace kit.

GS6

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho

I do firmly believe BRP needs to revisit the design of the bulkhead and either modify it or make a brace kit.

GS6

I honestly wish I knew more about what other riders were going through with S-Mod and E-Mod failures.

Is this really an issue, or just a Tempest in a Teapot here on SnoWest?

What are we, about 35 days from the 2018 release ?

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
I agree

GS6

I totally agree with you!

Christopher,
I wasn't saying you should be yelling and screaming because your right. That'll get you no where.
I do think BRP needs to Strengthen or support or update this area on next year's sleds. They can do this pretty easy in my mind and it would add very little weight to the sled.
The way it's designed is a good idea (the sled works/handles very well) it just needs to be stronger, thicker or supported enough to spread the shock load out over a bigger area.
I am a Cat guy. I know Doo guys that are having the same trouble with there new light weight sleds just like you are. They aren't on snowest.
As much as I'd like to own one of these sleds I can't make myself buy one with this known problem.

Last edited:

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
Apparently the part they can't get hold of is the Left Front Spindle.
The S-Mod and E-Mod are both available.

But the spindles are in short supply.
They found several dealers that had stock listed in inventory, but none of them actually had the part to transfer, and so far they have not been able to get one from the manufacturer.

As for me being OK.

What possible good would come from me Yelling and Screaming and trying to trash BRP and say its all their fault?

NONE.

I know they are following this thread.
I have spoken to corporate about this.
They have watched the video and know about the damage.

Its a serious balancing act.

Finding the sweet spot of having the lightest most durable sled is obviously a HARD THING to do with mountain riders who tend to beat the living bat snot out of their sleds, but who are also the smallest market segment for a manufacturer to address.

So I learned long ago to be patient.

I dove headfirst into the first year release of a brand new sled and knowingly took it out for a ride in a BOULDER FIELD covered by fresh snow with NO BASE. Because of this I have accept a WHOLE LOT OF RESPONSIBILITY for the damage.

I may not like the outcome, but I just can't sit here and blame BRP for it.

If I had waited a week or two
, my sleds would NOT be broken.

are there not aftermarket spindles available?

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Lightweight and Strong do not have to be mutually exclusive.

I liken it to the old cliche' "Fast, Good, Cheap; Pick Two"

The manufactures can make it "Light and Strong" but it will cost them a little in profit, but they'll gain reputation points and sales. For me it's a NO brainer, but the bean counters just focus on the short term bottom line and have zero vision of the long term cost of their penny pinching greed.

My 2 cents, for what it's worth; mainly for the manufactures benefit

S

snengineer

Nov 26, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
My sled and my youngest son's sled both broke the chaincase from direct impact on the bottom.

His remained wet, mine drained out.

Both Tunnels are bent and have to be either replaced or straightened, and the jury is out as to whether they can be straightened or not yet..

His inner and outer chaincase have to be replaced.
My inner and outer and ALL internal parts have to be replaced.

My oldest son broke his Suspension Module, shattered a side panel and punched a hole in the inner clutch cover. We are not certain about suspension damage "Yet", will know soon, but his skis do not line up with each other so at the least the bulkhead is tweaked.

Good h. e. l. l. Luck of the draw? riding style?

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Just curious, have you now added the grip and rip or any other brand of front end strengthening?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
are there not aftermarket spindles available?
This year I really wanted to wait till SUMMER to start making all the mods.
So I have not gone looking to see what the aftermarket has come up with.
And since this is a rather Major Insurence claim, I am pretty sure they won't cover anything other than OEM.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho

I liken it to the old cliche' "Fast, Good, Cheap; Pick Two"

The manufactures can make it "Light and Strong" but it will cost them a little in profit, but they'll gain reputation points and sales. For me it's a NO brainer...

True enough.
There is a cost / benefit ratio that has to be built in there somewhere.

Premium Features