• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Adding/Removing ES on PRO

O
Dec 6, 2007
Is the ring gear on the primary part of the kit or do they all have that? Looks like the only trick is getting a clutch puller to remove that gear. The wiring and the starter motor look pretty accessible with the hood off.

Mark's RMK

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2010
Sturgeon Lake, MN
Ring Gear

Why do you want to remove ring gear? Just to remove electric start?

If you are selling the ES gear then you need to trade primary clutches. You have to get the ring gear already installed on the clutch from the factory to have ES.

If you are removing ES to save weight, just leave the ring gear alone and you don't have to pull your clutch. The gear isn't that heavy.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Electric start kit comes with a new clutch with gear on it,makes it pretty cheap for the kit.

I've seen "take-off" kits on Ebay... without clutch and the seller is still asking top dollar for it.

The Dealer price on the full ES kit, with brand new primary clutch is right around $550 if you bargain with them a bit. (does not include the battery)

Take into account that you cannot bolt on an ES Ring gear to a non ES Primary clutch... and that "kit" is worth the price of a used starter and drive basically.

"Take off" ES kits, which I believe will show up a lot after the 2015's are delivered,
if you had to trade the seller for your primary clutch, would be worth about $200 max in my opinion ... if no trade... I'd say $100 for the starter "kit" without primary as the primary is a pricey item and hard to find used at a decent price. Buy an ES kit sell your primary and you will only be out of pocket $250 or so... for a new kit.

Last edited:

snoblind04

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Western Wyoming
Ok a little off subject, but if I snowcheck a 15 pro and and can't get anything off for not taking electric start what could I reasonably get to sell it as a take off later?

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
Electric start kits pricing will drop big time come november i bet!

If i get one, im not gonna bother, and ill just stick to the rope

O
Dec 6, 2007
Why do you want to remove ring gear? Just to remove electric start?

If you are selling the ES gear then you need to trade primary clutches. You have to get the ring gear already installed on the clutch from the factory to have ES.

If you are removing ES to save weight, just leave the ring gear alone and you don't have to pull your clutch. The gear isn't that heavy.

I did not know how the kit was packaged and, I did not know it came with a different primary.

My sled came with ES. I bought it with 5 miles on it from some old lady. It started working intermittantly a couple weekends ago. I removed the battery mostly to access the QD system and left it out. I was considering removing the system and selling it. After reading the info in this thread I can see that removing it is a waste of time. I will now buy a lightweight battery, install that and keep using the ES. It is definately not worth removing to sell, especially if a clutch swap needs to occur.

S

seth25

Jan 9, 2008
Sedalia, CO
Electric start kits with ring gear and no primary are going for around $300 on the used market. I've sold a couple over the last year and I've seen a couple on here as well. Sold one kit for $350 locally and swapped the guy primary clutches.

sledneck322

Premium Member
Sep 26, 2013
ADK's
I am ordering mine with ES. I will pull it off and sell it before it hits the snow. If I got a credit for not taking it I would not take it. However, since it is no charge, either way, why not take it, remove it and sell it. Polaris anticipates 10% of all RMK snowchecks with be ordered with ES. While that estimate may be the norm, I imagine that projection is low this year.

MDEVO

Chic Chocs Addicts
Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2011
Oshawa, ON,Canada
I ordered my RMK with the ES and it would be silly not too IMHO. If you dont want the extra weight remove it (ring gear is not an issue). Or use it with a lightweight lithium battery to dump 10lbs, however they do not work well in really cold temps.
But when it comes time to trade or sell the ES can increase resale value, so it's a win win, and you dont have to pay for it! Simple.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Ok a little off subject, but if I snowcheck a 15 pro and and can't get anything off for not taking electric start what could I reasonably get to sell it as a take off later?

Since for $550 you get a brand new kit with a brand new primary... You have the value of the primary that the person is taking off... which has a value, on the "used" market of $200 -$300 depending on condition.

With a trade... the person no longer has that to sell or the value of it as a spare on the shelf.

Take that away from the cost of the kit and you have about $250 - $300 NEW value ... then take off a bit for the fact that it is used, even if it is a "new take-off", and EVERYTHING is included, and I would say that a "take off" brand new starter kit with all wiring and primary clutch WITH a clutch trade should be reasonably priced at $150 -$250. I've seen them go for higher..even without a clutch...but that, IMO, was because of a misinformed buyer.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Due to the fact that the electrical system in the Pro-RMK resembles that of a 1984 Ford Tempo, I would highly recommend that everyone leave it on their sled. The benefits of having a battery for the electrical system and a ring gear on the clutch for the motor far exceed the overall weight penalty. BRP has been running a ring gear on their non E-Start 800's for the last 7-8 years.

There are reasons why Polaris is/has offered E-Start at no extra charge.

If having E-Start makes you feel any less of a man, then keep it and use your pull start. Your sled will thank you for keeping it.

Powderforlife907

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2011
Due to the fact that the electrical system in the Pro-RMK resembles that of a 1984 Ford Tempo, I would highly recommend that everyone leave it on their sled. The benefits of having a battery for the electrical system and a ring gear on the clutch for the motor far exceed the overall weight penalty. BRP has been running a ring gear on their non E-Start 800's for the last 7-8 years.

There are reasons why Polaris is/has offered E-Start at no extra charge.

If having E-Start makes you feel any less of a man, then keep it and use your pull start. Your sled will thank you for keeping it.

What would be the benefits of the ring gear? Wouldn't balancing the clutch solve any issues?

B
Jan 30, 2010
Northern BC
Skidoo sleds that come with ES don't have pull cords as standard. It is an extra item you have to buy and install. Will Polaris come with a pull cord on the ES snowcheck models?

Premium Features