• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Wood Saw

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Only saw worth carrying IMO is a hand pull chainsaw.

I've seen countless saw blades snap, but I've been using the same chain saw for a long time without any kind of issue. It will bring down whatever size tree you're pointing it at, it packs up small, and it isn't going to snap in 1/2.

I also carry a BCA blade saw... but I know how much I trust that thing.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Looks like chainsaw chain to me.

Can't see the cutter but probably 3/8 lopro semichisel since this is used on small cc powerheads.

Fiskar 8 inch folding saw with pruner for $12.99 at sears

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07185052000P

The chain in that is not a chainsaw chain, it's narrower, and the cutting blades are more like a saw blade than a chainsaw.
SawPocketChainTeethDetail.jpg

The kind I use is a narrow chainsaw chain with teeth facing both directions.

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley

I've seen countless saw blades snap, but I've been using the same chain saw for a long time without any kind of issue. It will bring down whatever size tree you're pointing it at, it packs up small, and it isn't going to snap in 1/2.

I used mine again this weekend to hack out one of those pesky logs that get trapped above your ski and below the a arm. I keep it in my backpack waistbelt pocket, that way I don't have to take off my pack to get my saw. I am amazed at how good that thing works.

B

Bowfisher

Sep 16, 2011
American Falls ID

Yep the hand pull saw is the way to go and it is the only saw I carry any more. It'll tackle anything I want to take down and I don't have to worry about the blade breaking or coming out of its handle

Team Pigeon

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2006
Pass Creek, BC.
Just got a new sliding pruning saw from fiskars. Warranty. Came in the same box as my new axe, again on warranty. The axe had to be ten years old and the saw about 4.
I had a pocket chain saw, it worked ok. I don't use it anymore. My favourite was the Stihl turbo it before I lost it. 15" pruning, wood handle, thick blade.
The fiskars pruning I got now has been good too, d handle on it makes it easy to strap down.
In my time chopping trees down sledding I have seen the following break: gas chain saws, pocket chain saws, $8 folding saws, $30 folding saws and them lovely shovel handle saws. Never seen a 15" pruning saw bend or break.

Engine Pro 5x

Premium Member
Sep 20, 2009
KANSAS
Folding snobunje for me. Just cause those small trees you run over at altitude are not always so small !!! >>>>.

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
Odds are it'll never happen to you but....

IF you ever get caught out alone with an injured arm or hand and you absolutely NEED a fire, a two handed saw is useless.

T-handle saws are the best compromise. I carry two--1 on the sled for extracting myself from alder stucks and 1 in my pack just in case.

All your critical fire building stuff should be useable one-handed...'cause you never know.

B

Bowfisher

Sep 16, 2011
American Falls ID
Odds are it'll never happen to you but....

IF you ever get caught out alone with an injured arm or hand and you absolutely NEED a fire, a two handed saw is useless.

T-handle saws are the best compromise. I carry two--1 on the sled for extracting myself from alder stucks and 1 in my pack just in case.

All your critical fire building stuff should be useable one-handed...'cause you never know.

Very good point. I guess I'll have to go find me a pruning saw because the one that was in the shovel handle is long gone.

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
I would take a sven type saw over a fold out if you need to reliably cut enough wood to sustain a fire overnight. Fold outs are great for the quick cut while stuck, but have never lasted for me when used to cut large amounts of wood for a fire. Different strokes for different folks, but my intention with the Sven is to have a reliable saw that will hold up in a surival situation

That silky looks like a nice set up for a fold out type

ndmtnsledder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
ND
The saw blade in my shovel handle is just a standard sawzall blade that can be swapped out. If yours is the same, you could probably carry a couple of extra blades with you. A lot of these other saws that ppl are mentioning are very appealing also. Can't beat a good saw.

I'm curious what type of shovel handle you have that sounds like a great option to be able to use off the shelf sawzall blades. I've given up on buying expensive folding saws I've broken several different brands listed above. I now carry two $10 8" folding saws one in the pack one on the sled and a spare in the trailer for when the next one breaks. I think they are fiscars. Just make sure whatever you get the handle isn't slippery when wet and cold the cheap Coleman ones are and its hard on gloves and your hand. I also carry a pull chainsaw style that I really like seems really durable but it can be hard to wrap around the branch sometimes.

Always war

Lifetime Membership
Nov 9, 2012
Utah
I'm curious what type of shovel handle you have that sounds like a great option to be able to use off the shelf sawzall blades. I've given up on buying expensive folding saws I've broken several different brands listed above. I now carry two $10 8" folding saws one in the pack one on the sled and a spare in the trailer for when the next one breaks. I think they are fiscars. Just make sure whatever you get the handle isn't slippery when wet and cold the cheap Coleman ones are and its hard on gloves and your hand. I also carry a pull chainsaw style that I really like seems really durable but it can be hard to wrap around the branch sometimes.

Shovel is a Voile. Blade is held in with a spring pin, and is pretty easy to swap out.

http://www.amazon.com/Polaris-Mini-Shovel-Saw-2875094/dp/B000M6ZNL8/ref=pd_cp_hi_3

Last edited:
Premium Features