• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Engine seized then not seized??

S

smv sledhead

Nov 26, 2007
SE Idaho
So my M7 locked up on Saturday afternoon, couldn't pull the rope a bit.
Went to rescue it today and before I took off the belt to tow it, I tried to turn the clutch over just for curiosity. It easily broke loose. Started it and rode it out. Can a cold seize happen after 3 hrs of riding? I'm clueless. What happened?

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Seen it several times. More then likely not a cold seize but rather too lean or lack of oil.

We have stuck a piston more then once in the back country. Pull the plugs, let the engine cool down, pour a little oil down the cylinders and rotate the engine over slowly with the clutch. then add some oil to the gas tank and ride it out.

You will still need a new top end. Eric

S

smv sledhead

Nov 26, 2007
SE Idaho
I've heard of it happening but never had one do it to me. Funny thing was leaving it for 2 days. I thought about putting oil in but i just started it. Even had to pull a dead sled out with it. It's due for a new top end anyway. Weird.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
the big thing it to make sure it take oil before or after the rebuild. mixing oils is a bad deal.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Check main bearings too. If you break the ball-separator/spacer deal the ball bearings can "bunch" up and cause it to stick. Little wiggle and they just happen to spread back out enough to spin for a while. Probably is the top end but something to keep in mind in case the top looks fine.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
My '97 MXZ (under 500 miles on it) locked up early in the day on a WOT pull. 5 minutes later we broke it loose & we ran another 110 miles that day w/o any problems.
Scuffed piston on exhaust side.
My buddy's MXZ 670 did the same thing a few weeks later, and we finished the day then also.

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
Sieze

"Check main bearings too"
Good advice, crank bearings can exhibit this symptom.

M

maxitout77

Nov 21, 2010
Vermont
My 15 just locked up due to a faulty oil pump. After sitting a bit it pulled over and started right back up. Ran okay actually. Locked back up a mile later. Had motor replace under warranty. You should have seen how bad it was and still ran. Both crank bearings shot as well.

The long and the short, if your motor locked up, you need a full rebuild.

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
My m8 turbo did this after a rebuild last year, not exactly sure why... I ended up riding it the rest of the season and it ran perfectly then I rebuilt it in the summer

Premium Features