• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thermostats for increased engine temps

A
Sep 19, 2011
how many are running a thermostat setup to bypass the rads and keep engine temps up? What setup do you have? I know some guys running a 160 deg on the kawi 450, anyone know of 180's out there?

B

bb27

Dec 11, 2009
on my 13kawi i use a thermostat from a raptor atv. i also have an inline valve for my left radiator that has been closed since november.. when im in the powder i also block the air flow to the one radiator im using. in the powder i can still see temps drop to 130ish will all that. got a few more ideas im working on. these things rip at 180-190

PROJack66

Premium Member
Feb 9, 2012
Watertown SD
Raptor t stat

I have a raptor tstat with my voyager sensor hard wired to it. I run a Kawasaki kx 450. JLsnohawk helped me with a race car plastic shroud with heat tape to cover the engine and keep snow off it. I also cut aluminum sleeves to slide down the front of the radiator, which slide right back out if it gets too hot. With this setup I maintain 175-190 and my oil looks like new after a 3 hour ride. I think covering the engine was the biggest helper.

on my 13kawi i use a thermostat from a raptor atv. i also have an inline valve for my left radiator that has been closed since november.. when im in the powder i also block the air flow to the one radiator im using. in the powder i can still see temps drop to 130ish will all that. got a few more ideas im working on. these things rip at 180-190

Where did you get the ball valve? Planning on doing this for the weekend.

I have an in-line thermostat and both radiators blocked... Still isn't enough on powder days.

L
Jun 26, 2008
ball valve

a good plumbing supply store should have the ball valve you need, i shortened the handle on mine to make it fit easier. dont forget nipples too:face-icon-small-blu

PROJack66

Premium Member
Feb 9, 2012
Watertown SD
Cover the Engine

The only way I've kept temps consistent is taking JLSnohawks advice and cover your engine to keep the cold and snow off of it. We used race car plastic with heat tape and there's a thread on here with the pics. It works great. Snow doesnt stick to it and it doesnt get to the engine. No more changing oil every ride and the bike runs the way it's supposed to. My .02 cents.

A
Sep 19, 2011
I was wondering, we use water wetter or engine ice etc in the summer to have less surface friction / better heat removal or transfer. Seems to me they should be able to create a coolant that has poor heat transfer qualities so it holds the heat better. The engine hood sounds like a must have.

PROJack66

Premium Member
Feb 9, 2012
Watertown SD
Heat

That looks good, any issues with overheating on the trail in with the rads sort of blocked like that? The thermostat I picked up is 160 deg, would be nicer at 180 or 190 deg

Those pictures are of another guys similar bike and I guess he cut a couple holes in front of the radiator to allow some airflow. Below is mine where I started the skid below the radiator and I have removable shims I built out of aluminum sheet metal to slide in and out between the plastic shroud on the radiator and the radiator. If it heats up I pull one out, pretty slick.

006.jpg 007.jpg 008.jpg 009.jpg 010.jpg

C
Nov 18, 2012
YZ450F 2009

Somewhere I recall a post about installing a KTM tstat the line line leading out of the head, then out to each radiator. With this stat you need to block the smaller of the three outlets with a cap. So, on my 09 YZ450, the line from the head goes up to the left radiator, but where do you tee or y or connect into the right radiator as the connection now goes out of the left, through the frame and into the right? Anyone done this, pics?

Thanks

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
whole package

for my wr to really be warm and healthy it took the whole works.

raptor thermostat
plastgic skid pan covering bottom and side of engine cases
left side plastic panel to cover engine and direct heat back to carb

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
Somewhere I recall a post about installing a KTM tstat the line line leading out of the head, then out to each radiator. With this stat you need to block the smaller of the three outlets with a cap. So, on my 09 YZ450, the line from the head goes up to the left radiator, but where do you tee or y or connect into the right radiator as the connection now goes out of the left, through the frame and into the right? Anyone done this, pics?

Thanks

IMAG0005_zpsb92cf362.jpg

D

dennyb

Nov 26, 2007
Woodinville, WA
I was just getting ready to install the KTM thermostat on my 2012 Yamaha WR 450. Looking at that photo, I was a little surprised at how it was set up. I thought it should be located on the hose coming from the head to the radiator with the bypass line tapping into one of the return lines going into the water pump. Coolant would circulate through the bypass loop until the thermostat opened and started pushing more coolant through the radiators.

I've never done it before, so just trying to get it right the first time. The KTM thermostat indicates it is rated for 70 C, which should translate to 158 F. Is that hot enough? I was hoping it would be closer to 180 F.

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
With the KTM Thermostat you want to plug off the bypass or else the bike will never get up to temp. It's something that has been pretty well documented in other discussions.

Premium Features