• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2003 Arctic Cat F7 Any Good?

B
Dec 9, 2008
I have a 1999 Polaris RMK 700 and love it. It's fun and reliable.
[I ride mostly trails and like to hit the gnarly powder hills too.]

But, the wife is going to confiscate it from me because she loves it too! :eek:

So I'm on the prowl for a newer used sled. :D

I've been looking at the M7/M8, but they're like $5000-6000 used.
Don't know if I want to spend that much!

Anyway, is the 2003 AC F7 any good?

Here's one in my town:
http://bend.craigslist.org/mcy/993508273.html

M = Mountain
F = What?

What's good / bad about 'em? :confused:

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
The F series is made more for the flat landers. They have a shorter track and an '03 has a 13.5" wide track instead of the more common 15 or 16". My brother has a '03 F7 that he extended to a 144 (stock I think is 128) and it is an awesome sled. He's put 1000's of miles on it and hasn't had any problems, very light weight, fun to throw around, but won't be hi-marking any big hills.

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
Forgot, send killerk a pm if you want to know more. He knows that sled inside and out.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Newfoundland
My buddy has a F7 EXT and this fall we cut a 144 x 15 x 2 challenger down to 13.5" wide. It wont climb the biggest hills and doesnt have the floatation of a normal moutain sled, but the fun factor is amazing. It just keeps going and going and is very easy to lay over.
The 03 had a host of first year problems but it did run the strongest when running.

M
Dec 10, 2007
KCMO
f7 ext

I have an 04 f7 ext and I would agree that it does ok in the deep. I still have the stock 1.25 track and would like to go to a 2 inch. Question- did you have to change drivers or anything to fit the narrowed 2 inch track in?

K
Jan 19, 2008
Utah
Fun factor is through the roof on these sleds!
03 recalls/issues were minimal... I have over 4000 miles on mine and never missed a day of riding.
04 and up had a stronger bulkhead and some refinements.
For deep pow an m sled would be a better choice.
With the right aproach angle and track they will go just fine in the pow.
They don't float, and won't highmark (unless you poach a line) but they just keep going. I ran mine WFO for very extended periods of time with no issues.

I have an 04 f7 ext and I would agree that it does ok in the deep. I still have the stock 1.25 track and would like to go to a 2 inch. Question- did you have to change drivers or anything to fit the narrowed 2 inch track in?
If it is notched to clear the tunnel extrusions a 2 inch will fit.
Otherwise you will need 9 tooth drivers.
I turned my 10 tooth drivers down and did a setback/drop to fit a 144X2.25 without notching the track.

B
Dec 8, 2008
Longmont, CO
I have an '03 F7 and have not had any major problems with it so far and I have 3500 miles on it. It is very fun and very fast and like most people have stated it is easy to throw around. The only problem I have is burning through belts but I'm sure that's an easy fix with a clutch adjustment. IMO this thing works pretty good riding through powder as I do most of my riding in the UP of michigan and will take it on the logging trails and I have lots of fun. It moves pretty good through the deep stuff for a trail/ditch sled.

D
Dec 8, 2008
The F7 is an amazing machine. I loved every minute that I spent on mine. Fast as hell, super easy to throw around, reliable, and comfy. Don't get me wrong, I love my Xfire, but wouldn't mind putting an F back in the stable in the next couple of years. If you are a mountain rider, don't buy one. But if you are usually on the trail or medium powder, you will love it. It sounds like an Xfire would be a better sled for you though IMO. A little more money-but a better all around sled.

D

DVarmit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 11, 2008
Alaska
I had a 03 F7 with a clutch kit and a couple of other small adds and that sled was fast as hell on the trails. I couldn't keep the temp light off but damn that sleds was FAST and FUN

Fun factor on a scale from 1-10 it was a 16+

Premium Features