• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Your thoughts on Clutching Kits as part of a performance package

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
In looking to save some weight on my 2020 hardcore my search for lightweight exhaust cans lead me to light weight single pipe kits which include Y pipes. Taking that scenario one step deeper, vendors build performance packages specifically tailored for your sled and elevation.

These kits typically include a clutching kit. To be honest, i have always been a do it yourself-er with clutching. My findings have been that straight angle helixes typically work best in the mountains but, most of the vendor clutch kits contain multi helixes. They also send new clutch springs but, once again i tailor my own usually by going with a slight stronger secondary spring first. I also used MDX weights on my last two M8000's but, I read some people are having trouble with them shifting out all the way.

Have any of you used BDX or Sppedwerx clutching kits' in the mountains? If so, what were your thoughts?

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Friend bought a 2016 that had a SSI mountain clutch kit installed. We both thought the calibration was garbage for mountain riding. Didn't engage until 5,000 RPM and had an abrupt hit. Not good for the trees. The guy he bought it from described it as "clutched perfect and it rips!" Might be fun in the meadows on on climbs? On another hand the clutching that was delivered in my 2014 BDX Pro-lite worked really well for me. That was pre-SSI merger. Friend got it remedied with a different spring, but he sold the kit when he went to a Speedwerx stage II. That worked well and was installed by Jason Nethercott. He might be tweaking the setup from the standard Speedwerx kit. He does testing with them so maybe out of the box it's good anyway. Based on what I've seen and how his stuff runs I'd be buying Speedwerx stuff through him If I ever go that direction.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
im with you on straight helixs.
ive never understood the heavy hitting weights and stiffer springs thing tho.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
My 20 Khaos with clutch kit vs 19 Rmk Pro with SLP pipe kit are neck neck in a climb
My kit has lighter weights and springs, dual angle helix. I am impressed with my clutch kit because the pro with SLP against a stock sled was a significant difference.

Sent it

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Thanks guys, I am inclined to do my own clutching again, I spoke with Steve at MDS and he said he had a 2020 hardcore 165" as well and the stock clutching was pretty god but, He suggested a Speedwerx H-5 spring the next click up in tension from the stock spring. I already ordered one. I may just give the MDS weights on shot on my 2020 hardcore?

How about the stock helix? It seems to me a couple of place I have talked to went to a couple degree shallower angle but, stayed with a straight angle helix. That may be for above 8,000 feet, I'm not sure. I ride from 4,000 to 7,000 feet traditionally. I will probably just try the stock helix first? Thoughts?

CB.8

Skidoo hill crew
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
I have a 2020 hardcore 165. I installed MDS weights on my second ride with a 45 degree helix. Steve loaded them a little heavy to start with but after I removed two washers they were spot on. I have no desire to tweak on them.
In comparison I ran them on my 07 mod and my 16. On each they were great but I tweaked on each set up for about three years before they were spot on.
As for elevation I leave probably 50 miles from you and ride a lot of the same areas.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Awesome! The sled is so new to me I am not even sure, is the stock helix 45 degree?

I will probably end up with Steve's weights again as well. I had them in my 09 and still have them in my 2015 Proclimb.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Frost if you haven't ridden the sled yet or the new ctec2 engine I'd suggest to just ride it before dropping a kit in, just so you have a baseline/know what it was like beforehand. I'm VERY happy with the factory clutching, not saying stock is best but it's pretty darn good... Yeah if you do some mods you'll need to increase weight but I doubt you'd actually need to do much more beyond more primary weight. it spins that 165"x3" track like right now... even in wet spring snow, it's very flickable but yet engages low for a nice smooth take off or loading/unloading. engines got decent torque (y)

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Thanks Octanee! I belive you but, I do this with every new sled. I research what's out there, buy a few mods and enjoy installing them when the weather is awful in the later Fall. To me doing mods is half the fun.

I spoke with Speedwerx today and they offer a multi angle helix with their stage 2 kit. They said they do offer a 46 degree straight angle as a replacement helix if you typically tend to ride in heavy wet snow areas.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
I’m one of the ones that couldn’t get Mds to work on my 2020 mtn cat. Bought both the weights and 45 deg helix from Steve and it would struggle to hit 7500 rpm. This is at 8k feet. Ended up having to completely remove the screws and run the weights empty just to get the sled rideable. Talked to Steve and he sent me a new stiffer secondary spring to try and that didn’t help either. Steve suggested having the sled scanned by the dealer but that came up clean. After that I emailed racinstation as they have experience with Mds and they told me they had the same issue on 2020’s and were recommending cutlers weights. I ended up putting the stock weights and springs back in and left the 45 helix to finish out the season.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Vern, that's just strange. I had read that some had issues with MDS weights not working in their 2020's and kind of passed it off but, you aren't some greenhorn tuner. I remember working with you when we were tuning our M sleds. The weird thing is that the weights seem to work with some 2020 sleds and not with others. The physical primary clutches must be somehow different from sled to sled? That is strange. It sounds like the only option is once I try the sled stock is to try the MDS weights and see if they work on my particular sled? Sounds like I need to demo a set of weights from Steve, if they work, I would buy them, if not he gets them back.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Yeah, it is definitely weird. I wonder if it’s a difference in the clutches themselves or possibly the actual performance of the engine in some sleds. I came off a ‘14 proclimb and honestly I never thought my ‘20 ran as good as all the hype made the 18 and 19 sleds sound. I mean, it ran decent but didn’t notice anything special compared to any other sled in the group and my brothers ‘14 with only a can and Mds clutching would beat it by 1-2 sled lengths in an uphill drag. I also heard some story’s last season about some of the ‘20s being overly rich and just not running right. Seems how my warranty will be up by time we get snow this year I’ve been tossing around the idea of an aftermarket flash just to see what difference it makes. I kept the Mds weights just in case something gets figured out and because I have no doubts that the weights should perform great.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Vern, I have read the same thing regarding the 2020 sleds. In fact, Eric at BDX said that the new heads on the 2020's are almost like an anti hp head. Fortunately, there's an easy fix but, if that's the 2020 clutch demon you are trying to exercise, I just can't say if new heads might remedy the problem.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
I have not heard that about the heads. Interesting. I’ll have to keep doing some reading before the snow comes.

Premium Features