• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Yeti 120ss on yz250fx??

A
Jan 15, 2010
Sherwood Park AB
Got a dedicated snowbike for riding out west but thinking of building something to play with back home on the prairie. I currently have a yz250fx for summer riding and already have a thermostat, blanket, light, heated bars, comfortseat, intake ect that I throw on for winter riding with mitas studded tires. Last year it got to a point where there was too much snow for the tires and with all the rain we have been getting, we may have decent snow locally. Not looking for crazy hp when riding local as I'm usually out with the wife and kids but still want it half ass capable. Not interested in running my dedicated build locally as it's an expensive build to put hours on going to roast hot dogs on the lake and would really like to run the 120ss for a little more flat land fun than the FR. Anybody ever run a kit on a 250 4t? A 450 fx at our West elevation pushes about 37.5hp and my 250 at our prairie elevation should be around 32. Obviously tourque numbers play a huge factor as well.
We have a couple fairly stock 450fx in our group running 129 12" wide FR so I'm wondering if I would get close to comparable performance with less elevation penalty and less track to spin? What ya figure fellas?

1566254474809.png

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
We ran one for a season on a camso from 5k to 11k in Utah... let me tell you it is no slouch.... revs good and I could get most everywhere the 450s where just does not have the deep powder performance... but for what you want I would do it anyday! Now we run a yeti 129 and a camso on 2 yz250 2 strokes and they are a blast. Will be running them this season again.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

C
Sep 19, 2013
Lumby, BC
We ran one for a season on a camso from 5k to 11k in Utah... let me tell you it is no slouch.... revs good and I could get most everywhere the 450s where just does not have the deep powder performance... but for what you want I would do it anyday! Now we run a yeti 129 and a camso on 2 yz250 2 strokes and they are a blast. Will be running them this season again.

@/wwillf01
Since you have both a yeti 129 and a camso 129 I was wondering if you could help me out....
Between the 2 kits is there a huge advantage on the yeti when it comes to deep deep snow and climbing.
I Ride in Southern BC with sleds and deep snow on a 15 KTM 450xcf with a 17 camso DTS, Im fine with how it performs in the mountains and climbing but enjoy jumping as well. I’d like to possibly upgrade to something newer. It’s lacking suspension for sure, do you find the yeti climbs and jumps better than the camso?

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I find the yeti freeride for sure can out climb and for sure handles like a razor compared to the dts... I really think the ski on the dts is its weak link.. now is it as much better as the cost difference depends on the money burning in your pocket. Jumping wise yeti hands down...

M
Jan 14, 2004
Jump and Camso are two words that don't appear in the same sentence very often. Its not a jumper. I have a complete Yeti front end for my Camso kit which I haven't tried yet but my buddy put one on his Camso and it really smartens things up a lot. All the different skis have their give and take points, the Camso ski has very good flotation in the pow but gives it up in other areas. I ran the Yeti ski on my TS kit for a few seasons so I know what to expect. The Yeti ski can be grabby in certain conditions, you almost need to switch them out daily depending on conditions. The Camso will out climb a Maxtrack Yeti all day long but not a new style Yeti tracked kit.

M5

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Agreed... sorry should have been clear the yeti needs the new track to be comparable.

C
Sep 19, 2013
Lumby, BC
Thanks Fellas, I’m thinking of maybe sticking with my old camso until I hear more reviews of the Timbersled 129. I’m more of a deep snow climber anyways. Did you find big improvements from the older Camso to the 19s?

M
Jan 14, 2004
Yes the 19 kit is better in every way, it has a different ski, the side panels don't crack and best of all it has brakes. I'm interested to see the new 2020 track as it has been changed again for this season.

M5

M
Jan 14, 2004
Forgot to add the rising rate spring perch smooths it out some but it still needs way more suspension and a diet. The limiter strap setup actually works on the 19.

C
Sep 19, 2013
Lumby, BC
Ah yeah, That’s good to hear. I’ve been through the cracked side panels routine on my 17. Between my dealer and Camso it was 3 months before I got the bike back, luckily I had my sled as backup for the spring riding.
I think that’s what I like best about the camso is the track and its ability to ride in the deep/steep, for $5k you get a pretty capable mountain machine.

S
Sep 18, 2018

What intake set up are you running on the yz 250?

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
What intake set up are you running on the yz 250?
I have a pst and a silicone hose and cr racing cage... so far I like the metal cage cr has.. only because the pst wire seems to wear through the dry filter faster. I use 2 dry filters for deep days ...

Premium Features