• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Yamaha SnoScoot SV80EM - Possible Electric Issue? Help Please!

Y
Dec 2, 2019
This is my first post on the forum, please forgive my "greeness" :cry: I have a Yamaha SnoScoot - SV80EM. Last season I had a new spark plug put into the machine and everything seemed to run decently well and only ended up having out on the trail one time. This season, I have unfortunately been having issues with it starting without starting fluid and it will eventually quit out on the trail after fifteen / twenty minutes worth of driving. It appears that the spark is weak, but there should be enough to at least get it to turn over without starting fluid. I had thought the coil was getting wet at one point as it seemed to kill out whenever going over a bump or drift but that didn't work. If it stalls out on the trail and I try to start it again with the starting fluid it still will not turn over until it is brought into the shop and dried out. There also seems to be a drain on the battery. Would it be safe to say that the stator needs to be replaced? Or does it sound like a different issue. Any recommendations / information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time and expertise!

K
Dec 9, 2019
Couple things to try.
  • How is the gas, all new this season? Oil all new as well? If no...drain it and start fresh. My scoot runs premix now so oil and gas are always new every tank full.
  • New plug?
  • Choke operational?
  • Run it on a stand or where there is no drifting/chances of wetness and see it it will run easy and start several times easy.
  • Run it on a stand and spray starting fluid (it will idle up) or WD40 (it will idle down) around the outside of the carb housing, the airbox, the intake boot down to the reeds/ head, etc. This will help identify a vacuum leak that may be letting snow in.
  • Check that finicky fuel pump these scoots have. They like to varnish up and pump less fuel.
  • Check all grounds and plug connections under the cover. Especially at the main harness. I woudl unplug as many as you can and add a bit of dielectric grease to them all. Look for that green/white chalky corrosion on any connections abd clean them off.
Good Luck!

Y
Dec 2, 2019
Kryball - Thanks a ton for responding to this thread. I think you were correct in that the fuel pump was gunked up. It seems to be running good now besides the throttle seems to stick but I have a good idea on what is going on there. Thanks again for your response on this, it is greatly appreciated!

Premium Features