• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Yamaha Phazer Motor Swap/Bore

507Sledz

Jan 27, 2014
Hello fella's,

I have been riding Arctic Cat my whole life. I am ready to try something new but still keep my Kitty's. I want to buy a 2007 - 2011 Yamaha Phazer. or maybe even a newer year if they make them????? (how high of year has yamaha kept the ATV looking front end)? What I really want to know is.

1. Do they make any higher of a CC motor in the phazer's like the GTs or anything all I can find and read about is a 500cc.

2. If they only make a 500CC in that chassis style can you fit a different motor in it but keep the front appearance close to original. There would be nothing cooler then a 800cc - 1000cc turbo phazer 162" track I think. Not the new nytro look the phazer look. So is it possible has it been done?

3. If you Can't fit a different motor in it is it possible to send out the cylinder's or buy new cylinders and bore it to a 800cc, and just connect new piston heads. with High Comression heads, maybe a turbo and aftermarket exhaust.

Anyway guy's I really want to take on this project and I want no other sled then the Yamaha phazer. Any Info, pic's, Ideas, Suggestions, Comments Would be great!!

Thanks!:help::roll:

507Sledz

Jan 27, 2014
RE:

Thanks for the reply! But I'll have to pass, I like building my own stuff so i know how it works. I at least want a 800cc motor in it. and try to push 200 HP out of it. I have a 2005 king cat 900cc with no turbo, come stock with 150HP. and I have it up to 190HP right now without a turbo. I also would want no less then a 153" track but would like a 162" if I do my own build.

I can tig weld aluminum have rivet guns and a shop, So i can cobble stuff together if need be! Just need to be pointed in the right direction with the motor!

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
Thanks for the reply! But I'll have to pass, I like building my own stuff so i know how it works. I at least want a 800cc motor in it. and try to push 200 HP out of it. I have a 2005 king cat 900cc with no turbo, come stock with 150HP. and I have it up to 190HP right now without a turbo. I also would want no less then a 153" track but would like a 162" if I do my own build.

I can tig weld aluminum have rivet guns and a shop, So i can cobble stuff together if need be! Just need to be pointed in the right direction with the motor!

Over 160hp on Phazer motor goes BOOM

507Sledz

Jan 27, 2014
RE:

Thanks idcatman! your all over the place ha!

I think thats what Im going to do. I live pretty close to the hay days event that goes on this summer. I'll pick up a phazer chassis there. Then go from their! Start out with a tunnel extension rear suspension and front. then do a motor, if I have to re weld motor mounts should be easy.

C
Nov 29, 2008
Phazer is only 500 cc in all variations and about 80 hp at sea level. Its a bit quirky in handling - especially if snow has a crust or is set up - but can be dialled in a bit. Stock handling is better than the Nytro. Neither though compares to rmk chassis (my experience).

Used phasers are pretty inexpensive - locally sub $4000 for 07 to 09 in decent condition. Low end is great but top end lacks. Stock finger track on the mtn version is not great - lots of info on TY - some success with fitting a 153" track and moving the skid back to reduce trenching.
Low boost seems to be ok but over 140 / 150 hp is asking for trouble unless you are doing internals as well - even then its a gamble. In stock form motors seem to be bulletproof and is decent on fuel. Expect loads of slop in front end - waaayyy too many linkages - but there are some fix kits that seem to help.

Better value to buy a tricked out phazer than to build - same for Nytro.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
I know you don't want to hear this but, ditch the phazer idea.

507Sledz

Jan 27, 2014
RE:

Actually just got an e-mail form a guy that is actually doing a carbon fiber build with a turbo apex motor. Says its possible. Says all the motor mounts are the same for the phazer, nitro, apex. Meaning you just have to worry about aligning the clutch and secondary. The rest is easy.

I plan to do this project. it will most likely take me a few years. But I think having a lightweight High horsepower Phazer with a 174" would be the sickest Phazer on the planet. None on I know has done it. You guys gotta have some Faith!!!

Thanks for all the info again.

1madbird

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
West Bountiful, Utah
Sounds like a fun project. I have an 07 phazer with a super charger and was toying with a similar idea myself. I also have T-Nytro and was thinking of stuffing the T-Nytro engine in the phazer but there are 2 many drawbacks. The Phazer is a blast to ride and honestly it handles alot like a Pro in the powder on the trail not so much. But the weight and power is still not there. You are limited to a 14.5 wide track no wider trust me I tried. The tunnel is so heavey and the running boards suck so it would need to be replaced. The steering is a problem but there are ways to tighten it up. Once you do all this you can buy a built sled cheaper and do some start over work to make it how you want. But I am with you i hate spending money on something someone else has built i would rather take the challenge and do it just because everone says it is not worth it. But i guess i am getting to old or to lazy. I have decided i just want to ride instead rebuild this and that once you find it didnt work out the first time.
The problem with the Phazer is the cylinder walls are too thin and once you start adding more boost the cylinder walls split from what I heard. I have thought about sending it out to see what can be done to add more power and durability but again to much money for not enough gain.
Keep us posted would be a cool build if you got the drive and the money.
ButGood luck on your build should be a good project.

507Sledz

Jan 27, 2014
RE:

1madbird,

Sorry its been awhile sense I looked at this forum. (I'm usually over in the Arctic Cat 1m forums, currently preparing to mod out a 2005 King Cat.

I know C3 powersports makes carbon fiber chassis, and the fella told me that the Apex, Nytro, Phazer all share the same motor mount brackets. So if it would be possible to put an apex motor on a phazer chassis... :angel::clap2:... that would be pretty intense. And sense you have to replace the tunnel and running boards couldn't you get a custom tunnel that would allow for a wider track???? maybe do a little re welding some rivots!! throw a 162" 174"... Im an Arctic Cat man, grow up on the stuff. But that sled would turn heads so fast there necks would break haha. Anything possible with some :clock: and $$$$ maybe a few :beer;

Premium Features