• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Important YAMAHA EXITS SNOWMOBILE MARKET

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
NOPE
I absolutely LOVED all of my Nytros.
The engines really were BULLET PROOF.
Aspirated, Turboed and Supercharged, I simply NEVER had engine issues.
The only drawback was MASSIVE WEIGHT.
And Yami HAD the technology to reduce the 4 stroke weight ALOT if they wanted to.

Yamaha's demise was giving up on the 2 stroke.

The 4 stroke was doomed in the mountains from day 1 IMO. Just too heavy. Works ok for some trail riders and utility stuff but . Everyone else stomped on them with 2 strokes while they gambled on 4Ts taking over.

It is interesting because they are the lone Jap dirt bike hold out to stick with some 2 strokes. Although the 2023 YZ250 is pretty much the same as a 2005.

I also agree with sheer. In the off road dirt bike world, KTM has gone from exotic to domination (in the last 20 years) by offering 2 strokes. Other Euro bikes like Beta, Sherco, and TM have also gained some traction by offering 2 stokes.

Meanwhile the Jap bikes are dying off, at least in the enduro scene by not offering 2 strokes. Would love to see MX rules updated to see a resurgence in 2T stuff. You can race a 450 4T against a 250 2T but IMO they should allow 250 2T or 4T to race in the same class.

Premium Features