• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XC/RMK 700 SLP Twin Pipe Setup

D
Dec 22, 2008
Hey all,

My buddy recently installed a set of SLP Twins on his 98 xc 700 and we are having some trouble getting it dialed in. Here's what the set up was prior to the pipes- SLP Power Dome head (unsure of what it actually is), boost bottle and the rest is stock- Stock main jets are 185's. Not sure on the needle as i am posting this for him and am a little short on details, just know the overall gist of the situation.

After installing the pipes, he put a set of 220 main jets in it (SLP recommended), raised the needle up one notch, left the pilot jets and went up with the weights. No spring or helix changes. Prior to the pipes, the sled ran fairly well. It was always a little finiky but ran ok.

Took it for a ride and it ran like poo. Long story short, we're back down to a 190 or 195 main jet, and the needle is back to stock. So after instaling twin pipes we are only 1 size up from stock on the mains.

Taking all this into account, the sled loads up if it idles for a bit and it takes a couple WOT runs to get it to clean out. WOT it runs good and the plugs look decent. The main problem is that it seems to be fat on the bottom end, but seems odd that its still this fat when we only went up a jet size after going from a stock pipe to twins. Any suggestions or input?

We are in Minnesota and ride at sea level. Thanks in advance guys

S
Jan 15, 2010
I have a 1998 XC 700 with SLP twins and the Power Dome head. As far as my jetting, I am running 205's and I am in Minnesota as well. My sled has the additional trail porting done by SLP and I run a mix of 110 av gas with 91 fuel. Do you have the twins manual for the pipes? If not, I have one I can email you or else go to SLP's website and pull it down. The manual has a good base line to start with that work well for me. What is your clutch set-up for primary and secondary? The clutching will have a lot to do with how the sled is performing.

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
I have had two of these sleds. Follow this too a tee. It flat out works.

Run BR10ES plugs, and only good 91-93 octane fuel. SLP CCL needles, 2nd clip. Mains to 200/205 or so. Float pins from a 00 700, and be sure the float is set properly with the tool required. The float adjustment is very critical on the Keihin carbs. Gut the airbox, and put a SLP airbox kit on it. The twins need to breath. Run it at 8000 rpm, no more. Stock gears, almond primary spring, 10-64 weights, 38X helix, and epi black #2, or polaris blue/orange #2 if you want it to be very responsive. The blue/orange over the silver/blue or hot seat orange gives better backshift.

D
Dec 22, 2008
Thanks alot guys for the information, I will relay the information to my buddy and see what he thinks. Good information though I appreciate it.

Premium Features