• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

WTF?!? Problem in secondary from a stupid little belt change

B
Oct 13, 2012
S.E. SK
OK, now this really grinds my gears, decided to practice changing the belt in the garage so i'm not suprised in the field, like i've done a thousand times before. Unthreaded the bolt holding secondary on, removed washers, reversed the adjuster, threaded it back in, seperated the sheaves, just like the manual says, took off the belt no problem....

NOW, re-installed the belt, but started unthreading the bolt, and after only 1 revolution it was loose to the turn, i.e. the bolt is the only thing that backed out! The secondary stuck and is still compressed.

Frustrated, i re-threaded the bolt, hit it a bit with a rubber mallet to try jar it loose, unthreaded the bolt again, and still it was stuck in. With the bolt out, i still tried jarring it loose, nothing. Then I was just going to take off the secondary and see what the problem was, but noticed the sheaves came together again and the belt is tight between them, so unless i cut off my new belt the secondary's not coming off...

Justed called my dealer, told them the problem, they suggested me trailering it down, but I don't trust running it with it compressed. Maybe I'm wrong? Then they suggested threading the bolt back on the way it's supposed to be , lifting up the back and rotating the track to try and pop it back out. I wont have a chance to look at it til tomorrow.

Any suggestions? Should i try running it? Or just spin the track manually? This elementry $h!t better not happen on the side of the mountain or I'm in trouble:mad2:

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
As far as getting the secondary off, pull the primary off and the secondary together. Then take the secondary down to your dealer and have them inspect it.

N

no fear

Dec 25, 2011
Soldotna, AK
You can take your secondary off with your belt on, I've.done it in the shop and out riding. Just wiggle it a little

B
Oct 13, 2012
S.E. SK
honestly i wiggled the $h!t out of it couldnt get enough clearance to get it off the shaft. If i remove all the plastic not just side panel i guess so, but i mean jesus christ i shouldnt have to do any of this its a simple belt change, if i had to do this every time i blew a belt i'd barely ever be able to ride the thing

Has anyone else had this problem when changing belts?

Last edited:
R

rcaustin

Sep 8, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I have had no issues changing belts. Run the thing... I highly doubt you will do any damage loading it up to take it to the dealer and if you do - the dealer knows about it - it will be warrantied anyways. Just my 2 cents.

Justified

Premium Member
Feb 21, 2010
3 of us have the same problem. 10 min. Change turned into 2hrs of looking like a retard and throwing wrenches. Needless to say its at the dealer cause he had the same problem.

Sled208

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2010
OK, now this really grinds my gears, decided to practice changing the belt in the garage so i'm not suprised in the field, like i've done a thousand times before. Unthreaded the bolt holding secondary on, removed washers, reversed the adjuster, threaded it back in, seperated the sheaves, just like the manual says, took off the belt no problem....

NOW, re-installed the belt, but started unthreading the bolt, and after only 1 revolution it was loose to the turn, i.e. the bolt is the only thing that backed out! The secondary stuck and is still compressed.

Frustrated, i re-threaded the bolt, hit it a bit with a rubber mallet to try jar it loose, unthreaded the bolt again, and still it was stuck in. With the bolt out, i still tried jarring it loose, nothing. Then I was just going to take off the secondary and see what the problem was, but noticed the sheaves came together again and the belt is tight between them, so unless i cut off my new belt the secondary's not coming off...

Justed called my dealer, told them the problem, they suggested me trailering it down, but I don't trust running it with it compressed. Maybe I'm wrong? Then they suggested threading the bolt back on the way it's supposed to be , lifting up the back and rotating the track to try and pop it back out. I wont have a chance to look at it til tomorrow.

Any suggestions? Should i try running it? Or just spin the track manually? This elementry $h!t better not happen on the side of the mountain or I'm in trouble:mad2:
I've got a simple question. Is the belt just sunk down in the secondary? You do know that you have to spin the track to allow the belt to work it's way up in the sheaves so the clutch can close?

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO

Question, when you originally screwed the adjuster bolt in, did you screw it in until you heard a pop?

B
Oct 13, 2012
S.E. SK
3 of us have the same problem. 10 min. Change turned into 2hrs of looking like a retard and throwing wrenches. Needless to say its at the dealer cause he had the same problem.

glad i'm not the only retarded lookin guy then haha. Who had the same problem? Other guys who ended up takin it to the dealer?

B
Oct 13, 2012
S.E. SK
I've got a simple question. Is the belt just sunk down in the secondary? You do know that you have to spin the track to allow the belt to work it's way up in the sheaves so the clutch can close?

you know, that sounds like the problem, thats the first thing i'm gonna try too. The belt didnt seem wedged tho, but I could be mistaken. Never had to on my other sleds tho, so never really thought about doin that

Last edited:

Justified

Premium Member
Feb 21, 2010
glad i'm not the only retarded lookin guy then haha. Who had the same problem? Other guys who ended up takin it to the dealer?

My dealer had the same problem along with 3 of us. I can never get the bolt started because there was no room to start it with. The washer works but when u put the spacer in is where we had problems. It would never close up to get the belt where you need it.

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
If the secondary is stuck open (so the belt slips down to the center) you should have no problem getting it off the DD. I take mine off all the time without opening the secondary. (I put it back on this way also) and yes the deflection is set correctly. You have to lean on it and use a little body english to get it but it will go.

Thunder

H

HOOCH256

Jan 5, 2008
Kalispell, MT
Put it back together, have someone hold the rear off the ground, start it and get her spinning up ad it should pop the sheaves out! It's worth a shot I had a similar issue that worked for me!

Sent from my super duper sweet iPhone using Tapatalk when I should be doing something productive!

Justified

Premium Member
Feb 21, 2010
what does the pop mean?? One of ours did that. Good bad????

Last edited:
S

Snopro_69

Mar 25, 2008
Saskatchewan
There's a thread on it. There's two plastic triangles in there for keeping the slap out when you go in reverse ( bolted in my base of helix)Mine did the same an others took pics. It breaks the tips off these tiny slanted plastic triangles but dosent seem to affect a thing that anyone could tell.

White Rad

Premium Member
Nov 16, 2009
WA to B.C.
yep i would guess a short turn of the track and you will see the belt come up as the sheaves close. regarding the pop there was a thread last year warning that the secondary had to be clocked correctly before compressing it when removing the belt or you would shear the ears of the white plastic ramps in the clutch, making a pop. I think the pop is just the spring binding and popping. when your compressing the clutch the rollers are on he helix and should not hit the plastic ramps. The ends of ramps were sheared off but i think its from rollers wrapping around them when switching to and from reverse or under load on backshift

Last edited:
Premium Features