• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

WTF IS WITH THE TRAILS AT BACHELOR??

H

hoov165x

Apr 12, 2009
Bend, OR
I won't dispute that, but it really comes down to the rider. I have had both as well and if you know how to ride properly you can be very low impact on a long track mountain sled. Especially if its a 4 stroke and clutched properly.

Agreed, but most folks don't have that kind of self control. Also, boat anchors on the trails are a minority?

H
Jan 3, 2016
It's nice to know I am not the only one that feels the same way about the Wanoga to Dutchman stretch.

I am new to the forum and excited to get more involved with the CO clubs. Sounds like they could use a few more volunteers to step up.

X
Apr 19, 2011
I rode every day of the holiday period (14 days) Kapka, Edison and Dutchman. The grooming was not consistent at all, and non-existent for periods of time. Part of your challenge was that operations started way too late in the storm cycle. Perhaps it is time to look at other options for grooming $$$ receipts in the state if OSSA is not going to take care of things.

As a note, other high traffic days (MLK, etc.) were not planned for either, and Kapka trail connectors are discouraging.

Whenever criticized for grooming issues OSSA likes to fall back on the "volunteer" line. However, a number of people in the region can attest that they have attempted to be part of grooming operations and were either ignored or discouraged by the lack of any kind of training program or organized grooming apprenticeship. OSSA would have enough volunteers to groom every day if they wanted, especially in the Central Oregon area.

This is not meant to disrespect the people that are out there grooming - we all know how much time, energy and passion you put into it and we all appreciate it. However, it is time for OSSA to start thinking about their commitment to grooming operations and the future of the organization where that is concerned. Otherwise, there is a very real chance that someone else is going to start thinking about it for them.

n2otoofast4u

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2010
I'll say it.

OSSA is a ****ing JOKE! The majority of its leaders and board members are so ****ing far out of touch with modern day snowmobiling it's disgusting! This has turned into the white house with life long elected people who travel around on OSSA dime, some who don't or rarely even ride. NOW they hand off a PAID position to someone with the same last name rather than put out a search for qualified candidates that might be able to offer some outside input, or another way of thinking! The list goes on. The majority of the decision makers are not true snowmobilers. Until there is a shake up in operations and leadership it will continue to tank!

#truth

Last edited:
W
Dec 25, 2007
I have read all of the post on this thread, I do run 1 of the 2 groomers that take care of these trails. There seems to be a lot of opinions from people who it appears to me do not have any knowledge of grooming, What it takes to groom and the ability's of the grooming cats. There is a lot more to grooming then going out and driving the groomer around. I would be glad to answer any questions as best I can. My question to the ones complaining is, What do you expect from the grooming? and are your expectations actually possible or do you just not understand what it takes to groom a trail properly.

n2otoofast4u

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2010
I have read all of the post on this thread, I do run 1 of the 2 groomers that take care of these trails. There seems to be a lot of opinions from people who it appears to me do not have any knowledge of grooming, What it takes to groom and the ability's of the grooming cats. There is a lot more to grooming then going out and driving the groomer around. I would be glad to answer any questions as best I can. My question to the ones complaining is, What do you expect from the grooming? and are your expectations actually possible or do you just not understand what it takes to groom a trail properly.
I have more clues than you probably want to know. When I made this thread THE TRAILS I WAS ON WERE ****ING TERRIBLE. I still stand by my statement that OSSA is a failing puppet show that is operating on the same credentials as the white house.

#truth

Last edited:
W
Dec 25, 2007
I have more clues than you probably want to know. When I made this thread THE TRAILS I WAS ON WERE ****ING TERRIBLE. I still stand by my statement that OSSA is a failing puppet show that is operating on the same credentials as the white house.

#truth

Actually I would like to know what you have such a clue about, you have a loud, angry opinion that makes you sound like a disgruntled employee. But you have stated nothing about your knowledge. If you have knowledge that would help I would love to hear it and pass it along. Just talking bad about OSSA and the grooming is not helpful. You seem very unhappy with OSSA and the leaders but you obviously do not know that OSSA owns the cats, and provide us (the grooming clubs) with a budget to keep them running other than that they stay very hands off of day to day grooming, so your opinion about the OSSA leaders really makes no difference to how smooth the trails are. So as I said before, What is it that you expect from the groomers? Have you ever run a groomer? Do you know what snow conditions the groomers can go out in? Do you know the ability's of the cats in different snow conditions? If you have an idea how to make the trails better, lets hear your ideas. Bad mouthing with no ideas of a solution is not helpful.

W
Nov 23, 2013
Wakesetter, thanks for your dedication. The trail system every year gets more and more traffic. A smooth trail is just not possible for more than an hour anymore. Stand up, use your knees, and keep it semi pinned. This is coming from a 56 year old guy. Oh yea, and grease your skid often. Ibuprofen, couple glasses of Cab and a hot tub also helps that whooped out feeling!!!

Talked to my dad recently , he lives in Bend, he said they just got a new cat and apperantly with that new machine its like a whole new trail system. I guess it can really groom nicely and quickly. So its seems alot more area can be done in the same amount of time. So we'll see but it sounds promising! Hopefully not those damn retchid 4 foot deep moguls for such long stretches!

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
Talked to my dad recently , he lives in Bend, he said they just got a new cat and apperantly with that new machine its like a whole new trail system. I guess it can really groom nicely and quickly. So its seems alot more area can be done in the same amount of time. So we'll see but it sounds promising! Hopefully not those damn retchid 4 foot deep moguls for such long stretches!

The excitement of the new cat is gone, dad much not ride much and caught it on a good week when they were still out getting all the trails burnt in. The trails are just as bad or worse then ever due to more riders and the same "volunteers".

Our local economy is tourist driven, and the trail conditions are just bad for business. I hate riding trail more then anything but in many places we are basically forced too.

Funny to see one of the volunteers here talking about its more then just grooming and acting like its something it's not. Im not going to talk about any expertise I may or may not have. It's not the quality of the grooming but lack of. Make any excuses you need, the thigh high whoops say it all.

:tongue::tongue:

Premium Features