• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Winter snowfall predictions

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
KELO TV has just aired its winter snowfall predictions for this upcoming winter for various areas in SD. It looks like it is going to be a good year. I have been watching their winter snowfall predictions for the past several years and they have been very accurate. They are predicting 320 inches of snow for the Lead / Deadwood area which is 145 inches above normal. Other area predictions are above normal to include:
Sioux Falls 53.7 inches
Aberdeen 51.3 inches
Pierre 44.2 inches
Rapid City 62.5 inches

:clap2::cheer2::whoo:

stum1967

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Central North Dakota
If only dreams came true. If that really happens, I'll lose my job, wreck my sled and gas will be $6.00 a gallon, and I'll have to stay home anyway.

W

wag13

Jun 22, 2008
Spearfish,SD
Duane, what's the snow like at home anyway? Its been hard living on the other end of the state, not knowing what the conditions are like! Open field ridable for thanksgiving you think?

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Duane, what's the snow like at home anyway? Its been hard living on the other end of the state, not knowing what the conditions are like! Open field ridable for thanksgiving you think?

I have not been up there yet but it looks like good early snow cover on the Hardy webcam and the snotel sites are indicating 10-14 inches as of yesterday. Chances of snow coming Wed night into Thurs.

M
Sep 16, 2012
Black Hills
It's actually rideable up there right now...as long as you stay on the north side of the hills. You're going to hit a lot of bare spots if you actually try to go anywhere. A good base, but we need a foot or two of powder to make it good riding.

W

wag13

Jun 22, 2008
Spearfish,SD
i went up today, rode outta trailshead. snow was pretty good for thanksgiving. Still bare spots obviously, but more snow on the ground then there are bare spots. Still a good amount of snow on the north facing slopes (1-2 ft.) and about an average of a foot on the ground in areas that aren't exposed to the sun 24/7. It was about 40 or so degrees up there today, so the snow was softer. The best way I can describe the snow conditions right now would be like it is in mid to late April. The snow is set up, but there is a fair amount of it on the ground, it will be an excellent base! Can't wait to get about 2 more feet on top of this. We will be good to go. Hope everyone had a great Holiday. THINK SNOW!

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
i went up today, rode outta trailshead. snow was pretty good for thanksgiving. Still bare spots obviously, but more snow on the ground then there are bare spots. Still a good amount of snow on the north facing slopes (1-2 ft.) and about an average of a foot on the ground in areas that aren't exposed to the sun 24/7. It was about 40 or so degrees up there today, so the snow was softer. The best way I can describe the snow conditions right now would be like it is in mid to late April. The snow is set up, but there is a fair amount of it on the ground, it will be an excellent base! Can't wait to get about 2 more feet on top of this. We will be good to go. Hope everyone had a great Holiday. THINK SNOW!

Thanks for the report. I start up at Hardy next Thursday. Thur and Fri is groomer training and I then have to do the pre season inspections after that.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
You can take the 54 inches predicted from this side of the state and have it out west. At least that way I could enjoy it, instead of having to clean it up.

tree climber

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
sioux falls sd
if i had a dollar for every time i heard this year was going to be a good snow year i would have enough dollars to go to the snowies or togwotee for a trip haha

Premium Features