• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Winch to get unstuck?

A
Nov 14, 2017
Has anyone ever tried carrying a hand winch? Maybe the come along style winch. I have seen those bigger ones for forestry with a motor attached, those look too heavy.

My thinking was just for those horrible stucks, maybe inside a tree well, or if you bike is flipped upside down on a hill and you have to go up and you are all alone.

I had one time last year where I was at the back of the group and my bike fell so its side was downhill, and I couldn't flip the whole bike downhill. All my buddies went down this really steep hill and it was really tight trees. They weren't coming back. I could lift the bike about halfway up, but then my feet would just sink deeper in the snow and I couldn't get the bike righted. I eventually got out, but it took me a longggg time and I was totally bagged at the end. My thought was if I had a come-along I could have hooked it to a tree and the handlbar and just hoisted the thing up.

Anyone ever try that or something similar?

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
If your going to carry something like that it is lighter to carry inflatable snowshoes to get around (especially if you go ride by yourself) . Then you can carry climbing rope... you only need a tiny diameter ... spend the money for the good stuff then pack 2 small pulleys, and a couple carabiners then you can lift anything out if you have trees around... way lighter than a come along but those work also..

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

A
Nov 14, 2017
Oh that is brilliant, climbing rope with pulleys and carabiners. Smart!! Thank you.

I dont know anything about what is quality, do you have a brand recommendation or more info on that?

I do carry inflatable snowshoes, but I always thought of them as to be used to walk out of the bush if my bike gets stuck or blows up or something. Good call on using them to get unstuck as well.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Parachute cord
... I could not think of the name for a second... super strong and light.

M
Mar 12, 2018
Sandpoint, ID
If your going to carry something like that it is lighter to carry inflatable snowshoes to get around (especially if you go ride by yourself) . Then you can carry climbing rope... you only need a tiny diameter ... spend the money for the good stuff then pack 2 small pulleys, and a couple carabiners then you can lift anything out if you have trees around... way lighter than a come along but those work also..

I have something like this a buddy put together for me. Lighter weight paracord.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
years past someone was making a hand winch for trail riders, fit in the palm of your hand, aluminum/hand crank/50ft of nylon cord, con't find one, been looking. For now I carry narrow belt l o n g ratchet strap and parachute cord, might way a pound. Tried it in my yard several times getting bike upright, slow but sure. Still looking for something better.

A
Nov 14, 2017
A small hand winch was what I had in mind when I started the thread, but the trail recovery kit mlyamkaw linked seems like the a very versatile system.

If that tiny winch you are describing exists, I'd love to hear more about it too.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Wow. That MRS system is sweet. Basically the same system as crevasse rescue equipment. Any Alpine climbing store will have a super trick lightweight pulleys and rigging gear. I use this at work all the time. We call them helper blocks. Same deal, just already put together. 4 to 1 mechanical advantage.D6DFD811-37E7-4B67-9E8F-53E07B0F3981.jpeg

Cooksend

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
I carry a snowbungee and a 25' pull type tie down straps. This allows for self extraction in the trees. It's like a 3rd hand and has saved me lots of grief.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
33AF0D56-1E86-45C1-9649-D28BE2BC9AA9.jpegThis thread has motivated me to string up an extra set of helper blocks I had laying around. I used a 50 foot section of 5 mm cord. A couple mini carabiners and various slings including one big one to go around a tree trunk.I will probably pack this in my number plate bag. Adds about 3 pounds. The level in the picture is 2 ft long. Probably never use it. But, hopefully I never use this stupid heavy ass airbag that I carry around either.

A
Nov 14, 2017
View attachment 334973This thread has motivated me to string up an extra set of helper blocks I had laying around. I used a 50 foot section of 5 mm cord. A couple mini carabiners and various slings including one big one to go around a tree trunk.I will probably pack this in my number plate bag. Adds about 3 pounds. The level in the picture is 2 ft long. Probably never use it. But, hopefully I never use this stupid heavy ass airbag that I carry around either.

Good Idea pre-threading those pulleys! I just got my Motorcycle Recovery Kit yesterday. As a guy who has never seen anything like it, I am going to need to do some dry runs at home so I know what I am doing. Maybe the wife will let me tie her up.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Has anyone used the method of tying a rope to a track window and the other end to a tree and use the sled motor to pull the sled several feet before retying? I have heard of this approach for lifting sleds out of deep holes but am not sure how hard it is on the track? Maybe a couple tie points to spread the load? I'm thinking of a tie-down with a 1.5" wide flat hook to put over the track clip??

jrlastofthebreed

It seemed like a good idea at the time
Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2016
Coeur d'Alene ID
Has anyone used the method of tying a rope to a track window and the other end to a tree and use the sled motor to pull the sled several feet before retying? I have heard of this approach for lifting sleds out of deep holes but am not sure how hard it is on the track? Maybe a couple tie points to spread the load? I'm thinking of a tie-down with a 1.5" wide flat hook to put over the track clip??
This works great on bull dozers and excavators with steel tracks. I figure i would be to much load on a rubber track. Besides mostly i just need help standing it up.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
I couldn't find a nice compact light winch so I decided to build one. My original idea was a real small maybe 10' of line to just tip my bike up if I was by myself and had something to tie off to. After discussing this with my riding partner I build a somewhat larger setup for other possible rescue situation...ie creeks, tree wells, vertical road banks, and on and on.

So far testing, it will pickup my KTM500 with riot kit, with effort. When I did this my spool was full of 30 ft of line, tried again with empty spool and very little effort, bit difference in the gearing. I used a 5" quarter drive breaker bar for a handle to see how long a handle to build, going for 7" now. I used 1/4 drive socket to attach handle to winch, so easy around the shop to run line in and out with 1/4 drive adapter in my rattle gun. I have some rifining to do on attachment points and some kind of fairlead , its workable now.

So far here's where I am at.

2.2 lbs with 30' of 1200 lb test winch line ( 1/2 pull tape ) weight of winch.
I carry another 50' of line and carabiners to make about anything happen.
Will throw in small aluminum snatch block to double pulling power.

Cost:
$23 worm gear off ebay used the 40 to 1 option, should have bought the 60 to one.........same money.
$12 aluminum channel
$9 for bearings
bal shop supplies
I had hoped to make this without any special tools, so far I had to machine the spool and cut down worm drive shaft to fit bearings.
I will make another smaller and more powerful with out anything but drill and hand tools. I think the spool is not important and will make small version to hold maybe 15 ft. I don't think the bearing are necessary and aluminum square tube will eliminate making parts to fasten both side together.

So far kind of a proof of concept built.

Attachments

• 20191223_124846.jpg
    20191223_124846.jpg
    459.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 20191224_093511.jpg
    20191224_093511.jpg
    467.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 20191225_111259.jpg
    20191225_111259.jpg
    455.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 20191225_111308.jpg
    20191225_111308.jpg