• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Will the Riot 3 be the Death of the Aro?

I wanted to maybee buy a new ARO 137.... but they only make em in "sport" trim with the timbersled IFP shock (see here entry level shocks) so it's a no go for me, it's sad because here we love theses 137.
I will end up upgrading shock on my current 2018 RAW and put a yeti 129 track. In the end money wise its better than changing everything when I already have a tss and traverse ski,
Back to the subject, I don't think they will kill the ARO platform but they are sure pushing RIOT this year.

N
Mar 21, 2016
NW oregon
I don’t really know why they would make an aro when riot is better all around, unless it’s purely for people who hate wheelies, which do exist. If it cost the same for them to make riot and aro, then having aro means they can charge 800$ more for riot. Money in the bank.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
When I bought a first year Riot it was cheap!! The Riot is lighter weight........thats something. I don't ride a wheelie RIOT, feels like riding an ARO with my shocks and springs, however with all the shock re valving and more appropriate springs for the rider on both our RIOT and ARO, the Riot always has a more plush suspension. The Riot has easier to deal with rear deck/ bumper? I am satisfied that the RIOT suspension has proven durable, workable and maybe even a little better dealing with uneven terrain/ripples in hard snow etc.

D
Feb 25, 2019
I wanted to maybee buy a new ARO 137.... but they only make em in "sport" trim with the timbersled IFP shock (see here entry level shocks) so it's a no go for me, it's sad because here we love theses 137.
I will end up upgrading shock on my current 2018 RAW and put a yeti 129 track. In the end money wise its better than changing everything when I already have a tss and traverse ski,
Back to the subject, I don't think they will kill the ARO platform but they are sure pushing RIOT this year.
Would you be interested in buying a used ARO 137 LE? I am considering a 129 ARO instead of the 137 ARO I currently have.

P
Nov 30, 2013
For those that think the riot is better all around ride a very simple and boring snowpack. I don't mean this as an insult but the riot even in 3" mode won't do some of the things an ARO3 will. It will be very close though.

E
Dec 19, 2007
Some types of snow the aro will get on top of and go faster. But that same set up won't wheelie and the ski will go under logs instead of over when there is no base.

P
Nov 30, 2013
Curious - what will the ARO do that a Riot won't? And what is considered a boring snowpack?
Im referring to the ARO3 not the 120. A boring snowpack to me would be the wide open and super setup pack I see in a lot of the videos posted lately.

Where I know the Riot3 won't preform as well is in the crazy tight and super steep tree sidehill climbs where it will probably transfer too much (even with the lockout).

That said I will more than likely be snowchecking one as it will have a different flavour that I crave as well.

Im referring to the ARO3 not the 120. A boring snowpack to me would be the wide open and super setup pack I see in a lot of the videos posted lately.

Where I know the Riot3 won't preform as well is in the crazy tight and super steep tree sidehill climbs where it will probably transfer too much (even with the lockout).

That said I will more than likely be snowchecking one as it will have a different flavour that I crave as well.

Interesting take. I appreciate hearing what others consider boring! I like steep treed terrain, but deep pow is my least favorite condition I prefer set-up snow.

I think the Riot3 will surprise a lot of people in the tight trees and deep snow, but it takes an active and aggressive rider to limit mistakes where the Aro3 is very forgiving with that regard.

E
Dec 19, 2007
I went up a virgin creek yesterday that the aro might have gone faster and not got stuck the one place I did get stuck but I'm positive I would have died multiple times on the Aro where a huge wheelie was REQUIRED to get the ski over logs sink holes and open water.

Premium Features