• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Why is the Matryx so heavy?

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
It all depends on where the weight is located. It does make a difference.

I remember the AMA increased the minimum weight for a V-twin powered superbikes. The Ducati engineers went to work and strategically place that extra weight on the bike and it ended up making the bike handle even better.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
tally up another point for the reason being they are following the inferior cats. coolers, drivers, motors...they gettin heavier boyz ;)

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
My 2020, 3in 156, 800 Khaos pull start, according to polaris, weighs 435lb, my 3in 165 Alpha is ~455, maybe 460, definitely not 475+!

Sent it
Yes the Khoas didn't get the lightest features, especially the chaincase version. They got the older style heavy steel suspension springs, aluminum overstructure and aluminum rear bumper. The RMK's got carbon fibre in those areas. And that is the heaviest track version too.

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
@Teth-Air wasn't aware of a lightweight chaincase option. Not trying to split hairs.

But I am currently testing my first belt drives. Poo and cmx. Always been a concern. Also as you may notice, carbon oversteuctures sound and look pretty but when it comes down to it, pretty hard to make them live!
389547814cebc1344141905de43a59c2.jpg

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

C

Clarke673

Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
Maybe it's all in the ECU and it's backwards compatible? Or maybe it's boost only and they left that out because marketing sucks at the details (my buddy is an engineer, the things marketing teams **** up is quite amazing).
I'll x2 that. Lol been eyeing 22 rmk matrx parts since before the boost was announced in the finche. Almost makes me wish I'd have gotten a 21 650 be a year ahead of the game by now!

C

Clarke673

Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
A couple interesting things to ponder. My 19 RMK came with light weight shock springs and carbon fibre over-structure. My 21 Khaos went back to the heavy springs and aluminum over-structure. Was this done to beef up the 21 or make the weight difference to the 22 look less?

Next for actual weight changes the 22 has a new track with nubs on the outside of the rail. This will be heavier. Some models have a single heat exchanger and I heard some models have the extra exchanger up front??. The driveshaft has also changed, did it get heavier? The plastics also could have got heavier? The gauge got heavier but that is an option on the N/A and should not be added in as extra weight. The fuel tank is now smaller so RTR weight may not have gone up. And finally with the heat exchanger moved up on the Slash with the shorter tunnel will the back end feel heavier (less leverage) or will it feel lighter? (less weight near the rear)
They forsure are in total about 50 pounds heavier than a 2011 pro rmk... is what it is.

C

Clarke673

Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
You guys are totally overlooking the new ventilated ski loops! Must have saved at least 5 or 6 grams per side. Who asked for those anyway?
lol I spent most of this winter trying to get purple ski loops. Can't put that ventilated crap on my 96 xlt? Old man'll call me a ***!

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
The lightest advertised sled was the 16 800 pro rmk 155 2.6 at 408, but in 19 the same sled got light weight springs (-5#) and a narrower front end but the advertised weight stayed the same.

The 850 motor weighs about 8# more than the 800. The khaos has heaver springs and shocks, also aluminum parts instead of CF.

The matrix 850 pro rmk 155 2.75 slash is listed at 419#. If all of Polaris's numbers are true? The matrix Chassis weighs 3# more then the axys if you minus out the 8# for the 850 vs the 800. I bet the cooler and the thicker side panels are to blame.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
@Teth-Air wasn't aware of a lightweight chaincase option. Not trying to split hairs.

But I am currently testing my first belt drives. Poo and cmx. Always been a concern. Also as you may notice, carbon oversteuctures sound and look pretty but when it comes down to it, pretty hard to make them live!
389547814cebc1344141905de43a59c2.jpg

I'll x2 that. Lol been eyeing 22 rmk matrx parts since before the boost was announced in the finche. Almost makes me wish I'd have gotten a 21 650 be a year ahead of the game by now!

They forsure are in total about 50 pounds heavier than a 2011 pro rmk... is what it is.

lol I spent most of this winter trying to get purple ski loops. Can't put that ventilated crap on my 96 xlt? Old man'll call me a ***!

Are you drunk posting again? ??

Dec 4, 2007
I may have overlooked the true purpose of the new ventilated ski loops. In addition to the weight savings, they may begin to whistle at high speeds as a warning to slow down as you are about to begin blowing paddles out the tunnel. They may even come tuned to the specific speed that begins to occur with the track the sled is equipped with.

C
Dec 14, 2020

You're making me believe a tunnel chop and front suspension on my 14 Pro RMK is still a viable machine. I may not need an AXYS as people dump them, if I can get this damn thing to roll over easier.

Isn't it funny how when I got the newer sled, coming from 90's junk, that it handled so easy and just rolled over. Yet after a few winters it feels way to planted and hard to get on edge since I've rode the newer chassis?

C

Clarke673

Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
@chevy_man ya know that scene in Billy Madison where the penguin has his dirty flippers all over Billy's gal/teacher ??? Well. It's past 11 pm on a Saturday and I'm just going to pick up my dog Dal3 from "grandpas".

I have a gal picked out but just ain't convinced her yet (lol) THATS HOW I FEEL ABOUT MY LIFE DECISIONS ATM... LOL but for what it's worth ? I must * say I ordered a 22 matryx boost slash k 155 2.75 in jade/orange and I owe no bank nor person a dime (except polaris in about what month is it???)

Time to go to the bar for a Devine-destanyesque, Lt Dan post leg opp- mothers day salute... and then back to this s-show. Also, keep in mind I'm 4th generation living ontop a freaking volcano and not scared to throw hands with a

a07c3c386254b4e7ed32d4ff08fcc5d6.jpg
d213a71738783115ecf8b95f659e365f.jpg

047a467ce8e10898ea29449edfe29b07.jpg

Last edited:
C
Dec 14, 2020
@chevy_man ya know that scene in Billy Madison where the penguin has his dirty flippers all over Billy's gal/teacher ??? Well. It's past 11 pm on a Saturday and I'm just going to pick up my dog Dal3 from "grandpas".

I have a gal picked out but just ain't convinced her yet (lol) THATS HOW I FEEL ABOUT MY LIFE DECISIONS ATM... LOL but for what it's worth ? I must * say I ordered a 22 matryx boost slash k 155 2.75 in jade/orange and I owe no bank nor person a dime (except polaris in about what month is it???)

Time to go to the bar for a Devine-destanyesque, Lt Dan post leg opp- mothers day salute... and then back to this s-show. Also, keep in mind I'm 4th generation living ontop a freaking volcano and not scared to throw hands with a

I don't know what you're going on about, but it sounds like fun!

How is that EZ-ride? My Pro had it installed previously, but kid sold it to his buddy and put the stock back under it. I've been wondering if I should get plate water-jetted to reinforce the tunnel or try and find a used EZ-ride to put back in it.

Premium Features