• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Why is the Matryx so heavy?

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I dont get why u think the cat tunnel is filmsy have u seen the axys tunnel, I have a 18 cat and never had issue with tunnel bending and I carry a tunnel bag and fuel caddy on back, and have rolled it muitple times lol
Cats rear section is a pop can. Its a good thing they are replaceable. A good rear bumper can solve that problem though, its not a big deal.

Ski-Dont89

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2010
WYOMING
Purely My guess, but i think polaris kept the weight how it is strategically. Think about it, this chassis will most likely be around for the next 6+ years. Polaris has to have tricks up their sleeve for the future models to improve/lighten and get people to buy/upgrade to new models. They obviously arent having a problem selling the 2022 models. Just my 2 pennies.

Track Man

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2007
Coppins Meadow
I’m wondering why the Pro RMK Matrix slash is 419 and the RMX Khaos matrix slash is 424. Don’t know why the Khaos would weigh 5 pounds more.

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
I’m wondering why the Pro RMK Matrix slash is 419 and the RMX Khaos matrix slash is 424. Don’t know why the Khaos would weigh 5 pounds more.
monotube shocks on Pro (for weight spec) // Velocity shocks on Khaos
Extra limiter strap on Khaos
Not sure on 2022 Khaos Slash models but on 20-21 Khaos front overstructure was aluminum versus carbon. (on the 22 Khaos Slash I had, the overstructure was carbon BUT it was a pre-production model-- certain details could be different on production sleds)

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I too am disappointed about the weight gain, but the silver lining is that the new cooler should make for a lighter sled as soon as it's been on the snow. Getting rid of the cheap carbon fiber in the chassis isn't a bad thing either: it probably only accounts for a pound or so, and lots of guys go that way anyway after cracking or breaking the CF bits.

I don't think we'll see any big weight drops until we see an all-new chassis, and maybe not then. I think Polaris made a risky but wise decision from a marketing perspective when they focused on weight in the Pro chassis and did nothing exciting under the hood (setting aside the Dragon/Pro 800s' reliability issues). They can't just ignore the market looking to spend money on a turbo, obviously, but I hope they're not just thinking about HP for the foreseeable future. It's hard telling what they've got in mind for a follow-on chassis. I'd bet the current architecture is about as light as it can be made without unacceptable compromises, but that doesn't mean it's time to rest on their laurels. Somebody's going to come up with the next big thing, and you can't bank on selling refinements of what you've got indefinitely just because it's a challenging market.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
As sleds get lighter, it gets a lot more expensive to lose more weight. Carbon fiber is probably the only legit way to shave off a lot more weight, but it's too pricey.

Less donuts will likely yield better and cheaper results for most riders.

C
Dec 14, 2020
So long as the tunnel is stronger I'm ok with it. I won't be buying one for a few years anyways, so we'll see what the aftermarket comes up with.

I know most argue that ski-doo weight is ok because they're durable. Hopefully polaris has strengthened what they have seen as weak spots and we will have another win with durability.

D
Oct 31, 2013
NH
The matrix hood with the 7s display feels 20lbs heavier than the ayxs hood with PID gauge. Im sure its less but man it feel like a lot

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
A couple interesting things to ponder. My 19 RMK came with light weight shock springs and carbon fibre over-structure. My 21 Khaos went back to the heavy springs and aluminum over-structure. Was this done to beef up the 21 or make the weight difference to the 22 look less?

Next for actual weight changes the 22 has a new track with nubs on the outside of the rail. This will be heavier. Some models have a single heat exchanger and I heard some models have the extra exchanger up front??. The driveshaft has also changed, did it get heavier? The plastics also could have got heavier? The gauge got heavier but that is an option on the N/A and should not be added in as extra weight. The fuel tank is now smaller so RTR weight may not have gone up. And finally with the heat exchanger moved up on the Slash with the shorter tunnel will the back end feel heavier (less leverage) or will it feel lighter? (less weight near the rear)

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
You guys are totally overlooking the new ventilated ski loops! Must have saved at least 5 or 6 grams per side. Who asked for those anyway?
To finish copying cat.... lol
Out back, Copied the short tunnel and cooler, upfront u don't want to mess with one of the best mountain skis ever made so, u copy the ski loop...(minus the retarded cat hook)

Sent it

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
To finish copying cat.... lol
Out back, Copied the short tunnel and cooler, upfront u don't want to mess with one of the best mountain skis ever made so, u copy the ski loop...(minus the retarded cat hook)

Sent it

As long as they aren’t “copying” cat in the weight and wide categories..........

Then they won’t go backwards 10 years........

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
I wonder if the new “high definition” engine management system is heavier.........

What’s interesting, most of the 2022 parts are already listed. Except boost.
The NA 2022 ignition parts, as of last weeks posting, are identical to the MY2021.
Unless there is a 2022 running change, I’m not looking forward to an updated system right now. Maybe it’s a supplier issue. But ......

C
Dec 14, 2020
What’s interesting, most of the 2022 parts are already listed. Except boost.
The NA 2022 ignition parts, as of last weeks posting, are identical to the MY2021.
Unless there is a 2022 running change, I’m not looking forward to an updated system right now. Maybe it’s a supplier issue. But ......

Maybe it's all in the ECU and it's backwards compatible? Or maybe it's boost only and they left that out because marketing sucks at the details (my buddy is an engineer, the things marketing teams **** up is quite amazing).

Premium Features