• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who all have had their 800 blow?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Ya, this thread has certainly given me pause to consider...
I was ready to pull the trigger on ordering a new 2010 Summit 800R, but I am wodering if that is really a wise decission in light of ALL the problems people have had with that engine.

I
Aug 28, 2008
cloquet,mn
well maybe this will make you feel better

03 600 1700 miles, not a single problem, brother rides it now.
05 800 1900 miles not a single problem, will be for sale soon.
cuz i just got an rt, and yes its heavy, but it hauls ***. real men can handle heavy sleds

S
Jan 11, 2008
Northern Alberta
2008 summit 154X 800 Blew motor backing it off the truck heard a ping noise when I put in reverse and then rattling cause the ring broke off and wrecked the piston cylinder and head. had 1600 km on sled and mechanic said the pistons were worn pretty bad anyways. I'm on my 10th belt tried 3 different dealers to try to fix problem everyone says there isn't anything wrong and sell me another belt I hope this isn' how they fix motors cause i'm off warrenty now.

T
Nov 28, 2007
seymour b.c
as long as engines have been around they have been blowing up. i have seen all brands of sleds blow up, even four strokes. when a sled leaves the dealer it is set up for a generic bunch of riding. clutching will never be perfect for everyone in every type of snow and terain, the gas that you use will vary from station to station, parts will wear out and fail. i have ran doo for many years and have had my share of engine failures but i ride the sh!t out of them. we could all be riding elans still and *****ing about no power and all the mods i needed to do to make my sled perform. the sleds that we take from a dealer straight to the mountains seem to perform pretty f ing good to me. sledding was never meant to be cheap and if you cant afford to fix you cant afford to ride.

F
Oct 4, 2008
I have had my 03 RMK engine blow, and I have had my 05 King Cat engine blow more than once, even way back in 89 my Exciter blew. Now I am on to my 08 XP and it will blow too, I just hope that it is not going to be an expensive Heli lift out of the mountains. Things mechanical can always break no matter who builds them. I have also had numerous other things break over the years of sledding but I am not going to quit just because something could break, at least not until I break the bank, and wifes secret stash of cash, and credit card, and there are no more empty bottles left to pick from the side of the road. Wow this is an expensive addiction LOL.

M
Dec 10, 2007
BC
these are high revving, high performance engines... whoever puts 5000 miles without doing a top end is waiting for disaster. A 2st engine should get pistons and rings every 2000 miles. After that, its just a ticking time bomb... I feel for the guys who lost a cyl before that, but the manufacturers are trying to squeeze every last hp out of these things. They are not going to last forever, preventative maintenance goes a long way. I do top ends, every 1500-2000 miles, and the only time I've ever been let down by a piston was an RKT POS, that let go after 300 miles...
If you want your sled to perform like it should, and last for a reasonable amount of time, do the proper Maintenance and it will....
Its ridiculous to hear about some guy who buys a sled, rides the **** out of it for years without touching it, and then complains when it lets go years later... duh

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
A thred like this was started for all the brands but

The others were gone in a few days. This one never dies. A year and a half later and 306 post it still goes on. It may continue till Doo runs out of parts. Thanks to your loyalty, They will continue to build junk. I hope you're proud.

Sorry to burst your bubble , but it's a known fact now 800 Doo motors are quite un-reliable.

Owen

Last edited:
M
Dec 10, 2007
BC
The others were gone in a few days. This one never dies. A year and a half later and 306 post it still goes on. It may continue till Doo runs out of parts. Thanks to your loyalty, They will continue to build junk. I hope you're proud.

Sorry to burst your bubble , but it's a known fact now 800 Doo motors are quite un-reliable.

Owen

ALL sleds are un-reliable... I've seen every brand on the back of a tow rope, none any more than others... IMO the most reliable 2 stroke every built was the Yammy 700 triple. Our crew used to ride nothing but, and mod them to the nines. BB, porting, heads, nitrous everything you can imagine, and they just kept going and going. I rode a modded SRX for years with ZERO issues, never even carried a tow rope. The 800 Doo, is on par with all the other brands, they ALL break down. My buddies M7 was towed out 4 times in 5 rides due to electrical issues, when it was brand new. Took him 2 months to break it in, wouldn't run long enough....

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota

Owen

Yamaha guys*- Everything is great we have the best reliabilty (just dont sneak into a private thread about turbo issues, very revealing vs open forum)...just dont ask about the weight, they "feel" light on the snow...:rolleyes:

Polaris guy*- Very true to the blue team...sled can be in the shop or not set up right and they know it...no big deal...they know its a "good running" sled for them...some chest thumpers...but no real complaining or gloting:beer;

Cat guy*- The thinnest skinned bold faced liar out there (saw it on the lakes of MN. in 1988, still going strong on the hills in 2009)...there sled can be in the shop/ not set up right/wrong track etc... but on the open forum they are high marking/faster/quicker bla bla than everything under the sun...then if anyone contradicts/calls them on it... then its an all out war...:eek:

Doo guy*- Most expect "Perfection"...So from changing a spark plug, adding an extra 6 oz oil vs there buddies 2001 600MXZ, And of course motors and clutching/belts etc. its going on the OPEN forum...BUT since there are MORE SKI-DOO's on the snow than any other brand by a long shot, the posts being good or bad will be higher...IMHO SKI-DOO trips over the curb while shooting for the moon...:light:

As for ALL brands...the last time I checked there are PLENTY of shops that repair/mod ALL brands...not counting dealers...

So Owen...since your CAT motors are so perfect in your green shaded eyes...WHY are there so many shops that fix them?? I was born on a day, just NOT yesterday...:D-BJ

* some people, NOT all...results are from "nose on your face" facts, not an opinion.

Last edited:
H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
BJ i can see we each others number.

I'll shut up and let all these Doo guys make my point.
How about this; If it aint tunned by BJ it aint nothin'.

Owen

D
Oct 19, 2003
Rapid City, South Dakota
I have been a Ski-Doo guy for a long time---until they came out with the 800 twin:mad:. I sat back a watched how that engine ran and responded to mods:(:(:(. Wasn't impressed. Bought a Cat and have been happy. Got the wife a used 08 XP and after looking at the build quality vs the Cat, Ski-Doo is back in my camp. The fit and finish of the Cat is substandard. Good engine, its just everything else. Both the Cat and the XP are turboed and the XP is very happy with boost and I'm finally happy with their 800 twin. I have never bought a new sled and probably never will because there has always been the first year issues no matter what brand.

Dave

A
Nov 26, 2007
Girdwood, Ak

Owen

Silly flatlander.....
My 08 800r has high mtn miles and still runs strong. (did need new reeds at 2000 miles) As for the clutching..it is total crap!

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
I'll shut up and let all these Doo guys make my point.
How about this; If it aint tunned by BJ it aint nothin'.

Owen

Did ya read my post??? YOU cant argue those points...or ya did...and this is a standard CAT answer... :)

Hmmm.... funny thing happened this last winter...a 2008 M8 came in MY DOO shop for a new top end (1 hole had un-usually LOW compression:eek:)...a couple pistons/1 renic/trail port/thick base gasket/head cut and a Y-pipe...BJ

Last edited:
J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
As for ALL brands...the last time I checked there are PLENTY of shops that repair/mod ALL brands...not counting dealers...

So Owen...since your CAT motors are so perfect in your green shaded eyes...WHY are there so many shops that fix them?? I was born on a day, just NOT yesterday...:D-BJ
Word....I frequent the Cat shop and Doo shop for sled/bike/atv/lawn equipment parts quite often, and everytime I'm there....there's just as many blown up twisted up Cat's out back of the Cat dealer as there is Doo's at the Doo dealer. To think anything else is pretty naive.

Everything breaks....I work at a Toyota dealer, and consider Toyota to be one of the toughest most reliable automobiles out there....but on any given day, we're still fixin' em!

Last edited:
Premium Features