• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Which Aftermarket Suspension is best: K-Mod, Timbersled, EZ-Ride, TeamFast?

If you were going to change out the rear suspension, which would you buy??

• KMOD

Votes: 124 33.7%
  • Timbersled

Votes: 111 30.2%
  • EZ-Ryde

Votes: 62 16.8%
  • Team Fast

Votes: 10 2.7%
  • CR Racing

Votes: 27 7.3%
  • Racer's Edge

Votes: 23 6.3%
  • Nextech

Votes: 11 3.0%

• Total voters
Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
One brand new shiny KMOD suspension is now installed on Nytrocity!!
Will get up a thread on the full build and installation next week.

Many thanks to Kevin from KMOD for helping me get this installed on my sled.

Should make for one heck of a season this year!

Z

zsnowshredder

Nov 30, 2007
Mancos, CO
One brand new shiny KMOD suspension is now installed on Nytrocity!!
Will get up a thread on the full build and installation next week.

Many thanks to Kevin from KMOD for helping me get this installed on my sled.

Should make for one heck of a season this year!

Hey Christopher,

I also am installing my KMOD on the Nytro today, Could you please post a good picture of the front mounting bolt (from the outside of the tunnel).

Two inches up and two inches forward is a litttle to vague for me, I want to see EXACTLY were Kevin mounted the front of your suspension bolts.

Many thanks and you write ups are awsome.

Kirtis

KMOD

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Firth
kmodsnowmobileparts.com
Hey Christopher,

I also am installing my KMOD on the Nytro today, Could you please post a good picture of the front mounting bolt (from the outside of the tunnel).

Two inches up and two inches forward is a litttle to vague for me, I want to see EXACTLY were Kevin mounted the front of your suspension bolts.

Many thanks and you write ups are awsome.

Kirtis

Here is a photo, there is a rivet that is drilled out for the mounting location.
The hole under the bolt is a test hole and isnt there on a stock tunnel.
Thanks, Kevin

Nytro ser.2 002.jpg

S

scarlier

Dec 29, 2009
Sicamous, BC
CR -M-10

My first season on 174 CR-10 but so far it is leaps and bounds ahead of the stock 162. I will post more info after a few more rides. It obviously climbs like crazy without wheelying at all but i noticed a major difference in handling through the trees and downhill turns. It definitely is easier to handle under boost. I think a lot of the handling and performance gains that i have seen should also be accredited to the track. It has soo much more flotation and traction that it is really hard to give the skid all the credit.
NytrowithNewSeat.jpg

Last edited:

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
This year I bought a Racers Edge 174 skid for my TApex with coilovers and I absolutely love it.
It kept the front end down while climbing and after a little adjustment was able to spend the rest of the weekend playing in the trees...and the ride on the trail was the smoothest this sled has ever been.

I also bought a Kmod 174 skid with Raptor coilovers for my turbo M1000 that I am just completing.
I will post my opinion on that setup once I get this sled onto the snow....I can hardly wait:face-icon-small-hap

:canada:

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Just my 2 cents but both the RE, CR, are variations of Fast M-10, as is the K-mod (although they couple the rear arm with a short sissor arm, the geometry is profoundly similar). I have run my own customized M-10's for years in my hill climb sleds, and while I won't bore you with what I change. I've found them very versatile even when not competing. Now that I am older I'll be going with the EZ-ryde not that you care, I didn't do your poll because it is already skewed by all the Howard Cossell'ing along the way. They all have their place to shine and all will be happy as stated above. The individual just needs to learn how to adjust it for their preferences, some will be harder than others and some adjustments may be a tradeoff for others. It's all relative.

Last edited:

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
Id say it all depends on your type of riding. I currently run a fastrax m10 on my tnytro. VERY good skid BUT you can't do big jumps or drops with it. the way its setup the shocks just can't handle it. My next build will be a Racers Edge skid. Will even trade my m10 for a racers edge. But those are the only 2 rear skids ill buy. I had a Timbersled on my nytro and it worked ok. But its night and day between the other 2. And as far as i can see Timbersled and KMod are the same.

jrusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Edmonton
Went with racers edge this season, had timber last 3 seasons it worked pretty good for the money after revalving an set up an updating to newer arms.. Racers skid rides like a caddy on trail, coil over shocks so nice with quick clickers, and magnetic blocks for quick coupling adjustments for climbing its the shiet!:face-icon-small-hap But alot more cake! Get what you pay for though

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Just my 2 cents but both the RE, CR, are variations of Fast M-10, as is the K-mod (although they couple the rear arm with a short sissor arm, the geometry is profoundly similar). I have run my own customized M-10's for years in my hill climb sleds, and while I won't bore you with what I change. I've found them very versatile even when not competing. Now that I am older I'll be going with the EZ-ryde not that you care, I didn't do your poll because it is already skewed by all the Howard Cossell'ing along the way. They all have their place to shine and all will be happy as stated above. The individual just needs to learn how to adjust it for their preferences, some will be harder than others and some adjustments may be a tradeoff for others. It's all relative.

The shorter rear scissor, hate to tell you but the kmod runs equal length arms. Or are you talking about something else.

Id say it all depends on your type of riding. I currently run a fastrax m10 on my tnytro. VERY good skid BUT you can't do big jumps or drops with it. the way its setup the shocks just can't handle it. My next build will be a Racers Edge skid. Will even trade my m10 for a racers edge. But those are the only 2 rear skids ill buy. I had a Timbersled on my nytro and it worked ok. But its night and day between the other 2. And as far as i can see Timbersled and KMod are the same.

Timbersled and KMOD are completely different, they both coupling type skids but no where near the same.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Wyoboy;

The M-10 and it's copies or darivitives use equal length arms. The K-mod looks a little different but the short sizzor does the same thing as the coupling block on the rear arm of the M-10. I don't have a K-mod but would suspect if you were to set them side by side the geometery would be incredibly close.

The Racers Edge spaces the rear arm towards the rear allowing for lighter shock settings and less leverage force on the rear arm, thus it can be made lighter.

Hope that clarifies my point for you.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Should get a real chance to ring out my new KMOD suspension this Saturday in Island Park.

Plenty of good snow so I should have lots of opportunity to see how it performs in the real world at last.

Made a couple very minor tweaks to the shock settings after a test ride on Monday at Kevin's suggestion. Hopefully she is close to being dialed in now.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
Should get a real chance to ring out my new KMOD suspension this Saturday in Island Park.

Plenty of good snow so I should have lots of opportunity to see how it performs in the real world at last.

Made a couple very minor tweaks to the shock settings after a test ride on Monday at Kevin's suggestion. Hopefully she is close to being dialed in now.

Just invite Kevin to go riding with you.

550ss

Dec 4, 2007
Heading to the Snowies in early March...Cant wait to test out my Phazer EZRyde 144. Super easy install and very impressed with the trail capabilities of this skid. Will wait and see how it performs in the deep.

IMG_0282.jpg

colorado_matt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
COLORADO
I'm sorry my sled isn't a yamaha, but I thought some of you might want to get a look at the new Timbersled Mtn. Tamer with EXIT x1 shocks mounted to a set of IceAge 'bomber' rails. The new design has been an incredible upgrade from the stock Polaris rear skid. Of course these EXIT shocks are a hundred times tougher and better than the walker evans that came standard. But I have been most impressed with the function of the Mtn. Tamer. The coupling adjuster knob is super trick. Within a matter of about 15 seconds, I can change from a very controled front end that is great for steep climbs, to a front end that is effortless to lift and fun for boondocking. I now have a turbo and will be fine tuning for real horsepower, and I'm very thankful to have a suspension that I know can handle big power.

2012sledrearsuspension.jpg

T

TNytro162

Feb 6, 2011
Northern Colorado

Christopher since you just got the Kmod up and running were you still going to try and mount a 2012 timbersled skid for a comparison or is there just not enough time this year.

Jim

Premium Features