• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Which 700 do you recommend for Turbo kit?

E
Oct 31, 2018
All,

Posted a thread here with little action thus far. Added some fuel pressure and changed a helix and it keeps getting faster, so addicting. https://www.snowest.com/forum/threads/old-school-leafer-carb-turbo-looking-for-help-tuning….458573/
After some research and seeing my buddy drag home an insane 1000 cat to swap in his 79 el tigre my new goal is to try and get close to 200hp at sea level. I have decided to drop a carbed Polaris 700 in this sled considering the GTX2867R already in it. Buddy can help me learn the P85 and the pipe should almost drop in. ? I don't know much about these motors but will certainly get familiar soon. Question: What donor sled should I target purchasing? Haven't decided if I will take the skid and/or the secondary/chaincase but the motor is a key first step.

98 XC, 02 XC are cheap local deals currently or do I look for an Edge X , RMK, or Pro X? Don't know much about these. I have read many boost the non-ves 700. Let me know your thoughts please!

E
Oct 31, 2018
Does it need to be old and carbed?
how about a 700 dragon?
It does not. But then I would need to buy carbs and the stock pipe on the older 700's. Also looking for non-ves but suppose I could bypass.

Why do you recommend the Dragon for my plan? Better motor, rear suspension, clutching? Reverse would be nice on a vintage ;) I will probably take the secondary, chaincase, and suspension/track to minimize variables. Guess I need to confirm the donor has the same width tunnel!

ez-ryder

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Dawson Creek B.C.
Well my thought was dealing with a fuel controller might be easier than fiddling with power jets.
For the purpose of drag racing a boondocker controller combined with their kit or a different one. I think would work well.
At some point I might turn my 09 turbo drsgon into a drag sled.

dragon tunnels are narrow. 15.5" inside I believe.

E
Oct 31, 2018
Well my thought was dealing with a fuel controller might be easier than fiddling with power jets.
For the purpose of drag racing a boondocker controller combined with their kit or a different one. I think would work well.
At some point I might turn my 09 turbo drsgon into a drag sled.

dragon tunnels are narrow. 15.5" inside I believe.
Well this is actually a good idea, there are some used boondocker kits available fairly cheap.

I would need to use the single pipe from older layout pre rider forward late 90's early 2000's. Issue? Has port timing changed?

So it's a Dragon I should target? Any others Fusion? I would still need to get a updated suspension if the Dragon is too narrow but I might as well do this right.

So, if the pipes not going to be an issue, what should I go find while the prices drop this spring?

ez-ryder

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Dawson Creek B.C.
the cfi 6-800 motors that the boondocker kits were built for used what they call a small block motor.
the earlier 7-800 motors were big block motors.

E
Oct 31, 2018
So I have a line on a 2010 Dragon IQ 800 and a boondocker kit from a 2008 Dragon RMK 800. Good match? I might need a bigger turbine housing for the 800 but that's easy. Thoughts?

E
Oct 31, 2018
So this will work for a D8 07' - 10'? If I bought a D7 could I get the Boondocker reprogrammed?

Can I look for a newer 800 or do I need to stick to Dragon/IQ's?

Premium Features