• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Where's The Powder?

M

mtnxtreme

Dec 18, 2007
Is there anywhere in the Northeast where a guy can go and actually break trail or play in the powder, just really not into the whole groomed trail 100 mile a day type riding, I usually have uncluttered trails here in my backyard, but unfortunately we got sh** for snow.

Last edited:
B
Dec 25, 2007
Charlestown,NH
If the dam weather man is right by thursday night it will be in my backyard. they say maybe 12 or so in the middle of the state. I'm in NH but I think I will head to Mt Tabour Sat mornin

M

mtnxtreme

Dec 18, 2007
If the dam weather man is right by thursday night it will be in my backyard. they say maybe 12 or so in the middle of the state. I'm in NH but I think I will head to Mt Tabour Sat mornin

How is Mt. Tabour, any powderplayin grounds or all groomed?

B
Dec 25, 2007
Charlestown,NH
If you know where to go there is but I do my clutch testing there the trails are usually in great shape untill the afternoon when the nuts from woodford get up there and tear it up. Might go to the back country on the NH Maine boarder for the day not shure yet

M

mtnxtreme

Dec 18, 2007
Is Mt. Tabour in NH or Vermont. I'd rather ride some mountains, with some powder, more off trail riding ( at least off groomed trails). What would be the closest ride to Albany NY area that I might find such conditions, or am I asking for too much. Just not into the whole Tug Hill,Old forge flat riding on groomed or moguled out trails. It sucks I live in the mountains, we just don't have any snoe!

B
Dec 25, 2007
Charlestown,NH
Tabour is in Vermont from you it would be towards Manchester VT the NE to Londnderry like a half hour from Manchester. Hard to go legal off trail in Vermont but there is a old ski area south of Tabour that is alot of fun. A few trails up it that are to sick for me to try but once in a while there is tracks up it. If you want to make a big tow some time this spring a bunch of us ride the NH Maine boarder for a day or two no gromed trails just logging roads and hills and the boader cut of Canada and US. What you ridin for a sled?

M

mtnxtreme

Dec 18, 2007
Tabour is in Vermont from you it would be towards Manchester VT the NE to Londnderry like a half hour from Manchester. Hard to go legal off trail in Vermont but there is a old ski area south of Tabour that is alot of fun. A few trails up it that are to sick for me to try but once in a while there is tracks up it. If you want to make a big tow some time this spring a bunch of us ride the NH Maine boarder for a day or two no gromed trails just logging roads and hills and the boader cut of Canada and US. What you ridin for a sled?
Ya I was researching Vermont looks pretty strict, I see the NH Maine border abt. 1/2 way up the east side of NH, looks like the White Mountain area, looks pretty nice and from the conditions showing on the map, thay have 18-24" of snow, looks like a nice area. Seems like NH is a little more lenient as far as off trail and permits, etc. cheaper, correct me if I'm wrong. Maine seems a little more expensive for an out of stater, but there's gotta be lots of off trail riding up North, but probably really far for us. I'm riding an 08 Summit 800 XP and my girl's got an 01 1010 Mtn. Cat. Are you in NH, or Maine?

B
Dec 25, 2007
Charlestown,NH
I'm on the boarder of VT and NH in Charlestown NH. Maine is by far the best place to register and ride 70 for nonresidents and they have 3 day passes also. Look on the map right on the boarder of maine and NH for lake Aziscohos spelling is close that is the area we ride. We ride everything except Yami's they way to mutch to dig out.Off trail in NH is tuff you got to be real carefull where you go to many tree huggers around from down mass way. Can't wait till April that is some off the best times up north.

M

mtnxtreme

Dec 18, 2007
I'm on the boarder of VT and NH in Charlestown NH. Maine is by far the best place to register and ride 70 for nonresidents and they have 3 day passes also. Look on the map right on the boarder of maine and NH for lake Aziscohos spelling is close that is the area we ride. We ride everything except Yami's they way to mutch to dig out.Off trail in NH is tuff you got to be real carefull where you go to many tree huggers around from down mass way. Can't wait till April that is some off the best times up north.

So I guess you travel to ride , if you are east of the lake area you ride in. So our NY regi's don't mean nothing in either of the 3 states, but Maine would be the cheapest of the 3. How's the powder in that Lake Azicohos area, any nice climbs,if you ride that area is it better staying on the Maine side, are they more lenient on off trail stuff in Maine? I was checking out some pics of Mt Washington, I think they should leave that road open to sleds, so we could ride it in winter LOL Seems like all the access to good climbing , offtrail stuff is tighter than a fishes' *** in the Northeast, the guys out west have it easy!

B
Dec 25, 2007
Charlestown,NH
You can go most anywhere you want in maine. Don't like the towing part but it is part of the game.Never rode in NY iv'e heard some bad stories about over there around tug hill with the crazies on the trails. There is some realy sick climbs on the boarder cut I will see if I still have pics from last April

M

mtnxtreme

Dec 18, 2007
You can go most anywhere you want in maine. Don't like the towing part but it is part of the game.Never rode in NY iv'e heard some bad stories about over there around tug hill with the crazies on the trails. There is some realy sick climbs on the boarder cut I will see if I still have pics from last April
Yes Tug Hill is crowded and kinda flat, you get a ticket for farting off trail. So I guess Maine is the place of choice, I've heard this before. Sick climbs huh, now we're talking, ya see if you can get some pics, how,s the snow in that border area, are the pics from that Lake area.You can e-mail or PM me the specifics of the area if you don't want to blab it all over the net, appreciate it.

H
Mar 9, 2008
where are those pics from newark??? or east-heaven???

close, the first and third are from maidstone, second is a now closed side trail in peacham, last is at home in ryegate.

here's a few more, 3 from maidstone last weekend and an old one from home.

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 35
  • 15.JPG
    15.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 58
M
Dec 12, 2007
Northeast
If you are looking for all ungroomed go North of Pittson Farms in Maine. VT has some great off trail riding, but there are alot of tree huggers also. If I could figure out why I can't att pics on this I would post some good pics of both.

Premium Features