• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Where's the best MT rideing?

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

culater

Lifetime Membership
Oct 9, 2006
Where's the best Mt rideing in the north east? I moved here from UT and I am not realy digging the tail rideing.

Northern Maine and NH have the best off trail in the northeast but I think you will be wishing you you were back west my friend

Last edited:
L
Aug 29, 2008
CT
I have herd there is some good off trail rideing on the Mane VT Canadian border is there a place you would recommend? I am realy looking forward to this season.

Last edited:
D
Dec 28, 2007
bush company AK
I have herd there is some good off trail rideing on the Mane VT Canadian border is there a place you would recommend? I am realy looking forward to this season.

there is some off trail ridin here in the east but it is more like boondocking stuff at best.

Lots of the off trail riders try to keep there spots a secret so they don't get tracked up.

let me know where you live and I will try to steer you in the right direction.

I run a 144 viper mod and once in a while a phazer mnt.

obtw you might try hcs once in a while there are people willing to share there hot powder spots
good luck
DOC

L
Aug 29, 2008
CT
I just bought a 06 polaris switch back 600ho 144 can't wait to get it stuck.
I live in CT but my girl friend’s family has a house is Island Pond VT and my snowmobile buddy’s grand parents live in Greenville Mane. I went up there a few times last year.

Last edited:
D
Dec 28, 2007
bush company AK
I just bought a 06 polaris switch back 600ho 144 can't wait to get it stuck.
I live in CT but my girl friend’s family has a house is Island Pond VT and my snowmobile buddy’s grand parents live in Greenville Mane. I went up there a few times last year.

I grew up in lyndonville but I live in Ma now.

there is some limited off trail around island pond but the better stuff will be from greenville north.
If you have much western riding experience you will have a hard time getting stuck with a 144 with a little effort though I think you can get it done.
Get a hold of me closer to snow time and I will give you the 50cent tour of the places I ride in northern VT.
take care
DOC

L
Aug 29, 2008
CT
I would realy like to explore north of greenville maine this year. Last year we went on one long ride and my fiends F7 burned through some much gas we only got 50mi out of town to the north west on the lake. There were a few small spots I found. My friends only ride the trail so we blasted through spots that I would have liked to explore.

T
Jan 8, 2008
in a bat w/caves
if you go up to greenville check in with the folsom's ( they run a seaplane service in summer ,but there avid snomobiliers, he can tell you where to find off trail there. a lot of people ride the border cut , but you'd be risking losing your sleds with one wrong turn. i try to find hiking trails used in summer never touched in winter.they can be really tough to navigate.most of vermont you'll have open fields most of which is private property and they really hate sleds on it. sometimes its posted but mostly not.most off trail sleds keep their secrets to themselves but just find any mountain most have trails up and around.its not like out west at all:) good luck welcome to the ditchbangers club

VTMTcowboy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Im am partial to VT because I have lived there my whole life, although currently not there, but I went to school in Maine and have heard great things about the Western Maine region riding for boondocking through the mountains and hills. They definitely get some deep snow up there, its just a trek to get there. I would say you cant beat VT for trail riding, VAST is expensive, but you got 5,000 miles of trails in such a small state. As for "mountain riding" in VT, the best stuff is unfortunatly on private land or harder to access. Its there, but the best way to go about it would be to go to Fish and Game or the Forest service and get maps that will show you public and private land around the state. I assume both tracts of the Green Mountain National Forest are rideable, that could be a good start. I always rode a lot around Eden, which is in the Northeast Kingdom of VT. They always had a ton of snow and some good off trail stuff. I have also heard good things about Tug Hill, which is in Western New York, but just like going to Maine (at least from VT), it is a hike to get there. Hopefully the east treats you well, its definitely a great place. Good luck!

M
Nov 26, 2007
Maine
9 inches in fort kent, me and still coming
1.5 feet in oxbow
i heard close to a foot in eustis area.

hoping to get a test and tune ride in this weekend in aroostook county

C
Dec 11, 2007
St.Regis MT
Mtns

IMG_0795.jpg