• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Where do you keep you camera?

B

BackCountryBabe

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 10, 2009
Island Park, Idaho
www.hasended.com
I love to ride but my second hobby is to take photos and videos. The helmet cam comes with us almost everywhere. My true love is my Nikon 50 with its 80mm- 200mm zoom lens but its way to heavy to carry on my back for an extended period of time. (weight is just under 4lbs)

Last year I bungee strapped the camera bag to back of the sled. Worked great - but it wasn't very convenient to get at and by the end of the day the bag was soaked. Camera was luckily still dry.

Do they make waterproof bags you can strap to the tank of the sled?

I saw the blog on Waterproof tunnel bags - I got other needs on the sled before I invest in one of those. But they are cool.

B

BackCountryBabe

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 10, 2009
Island Park, Idaho
www.hasended.com
Sharing a Cool Trick!

Do you ever experience your battery dieing on you in the cold. Rechargeable batteries deplete much faster in negative temperature, then we think.

Trick I use.

Make sure your battery is fully charged every morning before you ride.

Get yourself a few of those Hot Hands, Rubber Bands and a pair of socks work great. If you carry extra batteries, wrap them between 2 heated Hot Hands, secure with rubber band and place inside a pair of socks.

Then use another heated Hot Hand Pack and place it by the camera battery, before you put the camera into to camera bag. And/Or you can strap it down with a rubber band. This will keep your battery lasting a lot longer.

Oh Yah -- And if your feet get wet, you got a pair of warm cozy socks...

Last edited:

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
I use my handlebar bag for my camera and video cam (wrapped with hand towels for cushioning).

I just ordered a smaller camera to try out this year (pocket sized). Supposed to do HD Video as well.....though I don't expect it to replace the video cam, but might be a nice alternative on occasion to the *bigger* stuff I carry now. :)

G
Dec 17, 2002
North Bend, Washington
keep it in your handle bar bags so it doesnt get warm and lens stay clear for the fast EPIC FAIL shots.....

P2020015-1.jpg

snowhead.jpg

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
you mean FAIL like posting in the powder room....but then again you are one half of the duo;)

I always keep my camera in my pocket but it's just a point and shoot. Have heard of lots of people using hand warmers for the battery, especially in the midwest where it gets a little cooler.

girlpowder

Premium Member
Mar 9, 2009
Utah, land of the FLUFF!!!
keep it in your handle bar bags so it doesnt get warm and lens stay clear for the fast EPIC FAIL shots.....

P2020015-1.jpg

snowhead.jpg

That's weird you have FAIL shots. :eek:LOL! The second picture is priceless. Me and the hub both carry camera's. The handle bar bag seems to work best for us. We're all about capturing the perfect pic at any given moment.:face-icon-small-hap

Last edited:
G
Jan 20, 2009
I have a Rebel XTi and an extra lens for far way shots but i keep mine in my Avey. pack so i have it when i need it. (i have a tendency to be off my sled when its needed).Like this time.
SpringBreak2008458.jpg

SpringBreak2008459.jpg

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
I love to ride but my second hobby is to take photos and videos. The helmet cam comes with us almost everywhere. My true love is my Nikon 50 with its 80mm- 200mm zoom lens but its way to heavy to carry on my back for an extended period of time. (weight is just under 4lbs)

Last year I bungee strapped the camera bag to back of the sled. Worked great - but it wasn't very convenient to get at and by the end of the day the bag was soaked. Camera was luckily still dry.

Do they make waterproof bags you can strap to the tank of the sled?

I saw the blog on Waterproof tunnel bags - I got other needs on the sled before I invest in one of those. But they are cool.

If you are going to pack around that kind of camera I would invest in a hardside Pelican case. Guarantee you will not break it and they are completely waterproof. They come in all kinds of shapes and sizes. You could bungee that on the tunnel, but if you want quick easy access you could bolt it on your tunnel so it would be only a second or two to get your camera out and shoot. They make small sizes that alot of people here put cell phines and gps's in as well to keep them from getting wet or broken as well.

Premium Features