• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

When did Polaris 800 get reliable?

L
Dec 2, 2007
Elizabeth, CO
I want to buy a used machine, but back when I was paying attention, 800's were ticking time bombs and had zero value when they hit 3000 miles. I quit sledding for 10 years because of that. I bought 2 new machines every other year, just to have them grenade.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
As I understand it, the worst of the worst was the dragon 800 when it first came out. Polaris made several changes and some progress, but it was never great without going to a long rod setup and getting/keeping the clutch balanced and in good working order; also, cranking up the oil pump is borderline must to get them to live. The Pro 800 is basically the same motor with some minor changes. 2011s had the most issues: injector problems, too little oil, weak crank, and other things as well. They did switch manufacturers for the crank in '13 (went back to Fuji), which made a big difference, but there were always some inherent design issues. That said, as long as you do the top end as soon as compression starts to drop off, keep the clutch up to snuff, and have the crank and bearings redone at the first signs of trouble (crank runout off), they can go a long time. I've heard of even '11s going well past 5000 miles (with a couple top end refreshes along the way). Oh yeah, the Pro RMKs also have very marginal cooling, and that also contributes to failures. My daily driver is a '12, and it's been great, but it's got a long rod motor, TRS's remote thermostat upgrade, and added cooler.

As for what to look for, just walk away from one that's obviously been run hard and put away wet. Maybe the first place to look is the clutch. If you're seeing a well-worn belt, tons of side clearance, and lots of slop and play in the rollers and bushings and all, you can probably stop there. Next would be to do a leakdown check. 2-3% is pretty typical on all but the tightest top end, but 5% or more is trouble. Finally, pop the clutch and check the runout (takes a dial indicator; you'll also want the service manual for how to check, and you'd want the FSM anyway). I can't remember the spec, but that's the sign of a crank on its way out. I can't say the failures are all a bunch of fluff, but it's not that bad if you know what to look for and keep on top of the maintenance.

T
Dec 20, 2018
2016 + check the cylinder block they changed them every year trying to chase the problem.... was workin @ cvtech at that time for 4 years and i can tell pre 2016 lifespan was 4000km average....

L
Dec 2, 2007
Elizabeth, CO
Thanks for all of the replies. I wonder if we have set our expectations too low. An 800 with 5000 miles is considered to be great. When did we get that forgiving with machines that cost $15K and can break and leave you stuck in the backcountry? It's a rhetorical question that there is no answer to.

If a Yamaha broke down at 5000 miles, the factory would be burned down, all of the workers executed, etc. They take build quality seriously:rolleyes:

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
Thanks for all of the replies. I wonder if we have set our expectations too low. An 800 with 5000 miles is considered to be great. When did we get that forgiving with machines that cost $15K and can break and leave you stuck in the backcountry? It's a rhetorical question that there is no answer to.

If a Yamaha broke down at 5000 miles, the factory would be burned down, all of the workers executed, etc. They take build quality seriously:rolleyes:
yamaha's are made by cat so i wouldn't be bragging on them for their reliability . the sleds wea are talking about are no where near 15 grand , and the old yamaha's weighed 900 lbs and had a no turbo 120 hp four stroke motor . , but i rode cats for years and got so tired of break downs , started ride pros and haven't had one breakdown since.plus superior performance and handling that's just my opinion

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
I don't care what brand of sled it is I would put pistons, and rings in every 3k mountain miles. If trail riding a little longer. If you want better than that I would say go 4s then.

RoostinRyan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2013
Yakima, WA
My 12 800 pro never has had cylinder skirt issues like everyone is aware of with these things. At about 1700 miles my compression dropped to about 100 psi and I threw new pistons and rings in. The other issues Ive had that were serious had to do with the pto crank bearing. In the 5k that I have on this thing its lost 2 of them and now am on the 3rd. This time I went with a complete rebuilt crank. I dont hear of hardly any issues with the 2016+ Axys 800s and that would be my recommendation for someone in the used market or spend the extra dollars and get a 850.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Yup, Axys 800 is probably going to be the longest-lived and least trouble. The 850 is solid, but some things like a single piston ring, crank from a lower-tier manufacturer, and pushing the envelope more, make me think it's not likely to last as long. It does have a couple advantages in terms of better engine mounts and TPS though. That might make for a little less maintenance, but I doubt the engine itself would ever outlast an 800. It's too bad they didn't go to the better mounts and TPS when the Axys came out.

Premium Features