• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What would it take to get you back on a Cat?

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
New chassis, engine, or both take time and money, but better running boards and a twin-rail option would be very easy. If the elevate kit is as good as some people say, something like that would be a good thing to offer too. I think we all know something big like a new engine or chassis could be years off, but why not at least try to make the current sled better by copying or licensing things people are already doing to their sleds? It doesn't look like Cat is doing much right now, and nothing reinforces the doom and gloom predictions like no changes at all. And why would anyone with a semi-recent Cat with upgrades buy a new sled when the new one might be less fun to ride out of the box than the old one?

F
Feb 3, 2017
New chassis, engine, or both take time and money, but better running boards and a twin-rail option would be very easy. If the elevate kit is as good as some people say, something like that would be a good thing to offer too. I think we all know something big like a new engine or chassis could be years off, but why not at least try to make the current sled better by copying or licensing things people are already doing to their sleds? It doesn't look like Cat is doing much right now, and nothing reinforces the doom and gloom predictions like no changes at all. And why would anyone with a semi-recent Cat with upgrades buy a new sled when the new one might be less fun to ride out of the box than the old one?

Some of it might not be possible thought too.

What aftermarket offers could be infringement for a manufacturer could infringe on another manufacturer's IP. The SkiDoo vs Arctic Cat lawsuit shows how some of the outcomes could be bad, like the initial stop sale in Canda.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Yeah, some things can run into patent territory, but short duplicating a competitors design, there's no legal argument on others. Something like running boards: just redesign them already. And a twin rail option. Other things might have to be licensed, or they might not be able to do. I don't remember the exact details, but the Ski-Doo lawsuit sounded like it was one-sided, with Canadian courts tipping the scales in favor of Doo. Nothing you can doo about that, but if it's not a concern here in the US, might as well flip them the middle finger keep selling the contested sleds.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Stop spreading lies.

Someone on snowest says they’re lazy, irrelevant and bankrupt.

Well, so far number three hasn't happened yet. We'll see whether number one and two are true or not. Hopefully not and they come out with a really competitive new sled.

This is from their website:

• Centralized

CENTRALIZED MASS​

Our all-new design centralizes the weight of the sled, resulting in a lower center of gravity. This allows for better control, easier cornering and optimized traction — everything you need to make every ride one to remember.
  • Lightweight

LIGHTWEIGHT​

We designed the entire sled to prioritize weight reduction while maintaining strength. This improves the power to weight ratio, giving everyone a more exciting and confidence-inspiring ride.
  • Improved

IMPROVED ERGONOMICS​

The all-new platform allows riders to move around more comfortably, sitting or standing, in all kinds of terrain. We’ve perfected everything from foot wells to running boards to handlebars to seats to the shape of the chassis to embolden you to take on new challenges.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Doesn't take much to get a Cat in the 420lbs range as it is. A buddy and I have three between us and we are in the 420-430lbs range for a running sled(least amount of fuel possible but still running)

Having snowchecked 3 sleds in 4 years, and two of those Polaris's......I actually like the old 800 Axys over the 850 Axys. Hence why its for sale and the older '17 is still on the truck. I also have a little bit of work done to the 800.

I personally am not a fan of the higher chassis that is the Matryx/Axys but love the stiffness of them. My Cat had rail issues(twin rail) but has been pretty solid since. Chaincase adjuster was upgraded before anything went wrong. Front skid shock got an upgraded axle before it left the showroom floor. Handlebars have been known to bend like Doo's. Fairly simple considering the 850 Axys spent half the year getting a new engine at 150 miles. then a couple ECU flashes....not worth my time to own in all honesty. And not better than my 800 for my type of riding when side by side.

My Cat isn't stock by any means now. Boards, skid, tank/seat, hood, steering, skis, etc etc but it's because I like the platform the best so I keep personalizing it to my liking. The 800 Axys is damn good with some shocks and a little bit more power, almost stock.

I just can't deal with the floppiness of the Doo. It's so wavy and flexible that I don't like it. Works great for new riders or riders who rely on sled skill versus personal skill(older, lighter, shorter people as well)
If I did have a Doo, I know exactly what I'd do to stiffen it up and make it more like a Pol or Cat. But I think I'm covered as it is, no need to fix a sled I don't want any part of anyways.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Cat needs to stiffen the chassis with new boards. Lighten up by running a belt drive, refine the front end and rear skid for more durability. Lie to us about power upgrades and that would be enough. Luckily for those with the wallets, a mid season turbo is coming.
If Cat changed their 30 years of sloppy steering and sub par skis the whole industry would go insane. Those dumb plastic bushings and extra linkages is such a pita.....always the first things to upgrade on any Cat from early 90's to present day.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I'll be interested to see how much of a new chassis it is. The claims being made would obviously fit a ground-up, all-new chassis. But they could just as easily describe changes that are more tweaks than all-new. A belt drive and revised engine/clutching mounts, along with new running boards, tank, and seat, would reduce weight, centralize mass, and improve ergonomics while being far from a new chassis. Hopefully it's more than that; if I had to guess though, I'd say we'll see AXYS to Matryx level changes. Even at that, I'd still love to take a look, especially if they can match or beat Poo on weight. But for now, we wait...

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
I'll be interested to see how much of a new chassis it is. The claims being made would obviously fit a ground-up, all-new chassis. But they could just as easily describe changes that are more tweaks than all-new. A belt drive and revised engine/clutching mounts, along with new running boards, tank, and seat, would reduce weight, centralize mass, and improve ergonomics while being far from a new chassis. Hopefully it's more than that; if I had to guess though, I'd say we'll see AXYS to Matryx level changes. Even at that, I'd still love to take a look, especially if they can match or beat Poo on weight. But for now, we wait...

That's the big thing right, ALL NEW CHASSIS.......but how new are we talking? Some guys will argue that the Ascender is ALL NEW when we all know its just a refinement of the original PC. Haydays can't come soon enough!

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I've always wanted to go to Hay Days and I think I might do it this year. Driving from MT to north of Minneapolis with these fuel prices will suck, but YOLO as the kids say! Good reason to stop and visit family in ND too.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
when looking at my 18 mtn cat while i had the panels off it was easy to see places where weight could be trimmed and things could be tucked tighter. there is only so much you can do when you want to fit a 3 cylinder turbo 4 stroke in there too. when they drop and rolled the chaincase it was a hug improvement but then the chain case got longer and heavier. so if you went back to the original case and dropped the jackshaft that helps but then you have to clearance the tunnel and if you go that far you might as well have a new tunnel etc etc. I'm hoping they took an ascender and reworked it so that when they got done it had alot of the same feel but was narrower lighter stronger. more of an evolution than a whole new animal. i am fine with the current 800 as long as the chassis is lighter by a good amount.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Never heard anyone call the ascender a new platform, especially where so many parts are compatible across the pro climb.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
I know it’s because everyone just jumps on the band wagon of crap they hear on social media, but It boggles my mind how the current sled is as different from the proclimb as a matryx is to the axys or axys is to the pro, but cat gets drug through the mud for “still selling a 2012 sled” while Polaris gets praised as revolutionary. Guess that’s the difference of Polaris having a marketing department that knows what it’s doing.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Perhaps when your sled has multiple stops rides issues you have extra time and motivation to sling bs at the competitor on the internet.
Meanwhile the competitor is just out riding.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Never heard anyone call the ascender a new platform, especially where so many parts are compatible across the pro climb.
really, seemed like evrybody called it a new platform. drove 17MC guys crazy. but whatever, the bodywork was much better.

Premium Features