• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What would it take to get you back on a Cat?

J
Nov 21, 2013
I think the forms make things sound a lot worse for cat then it really is they are at every parking lot and lots of new ones. I can keep up with any of my buddies on their khaos or gen 4 ( not including the turbos lol). I went about 30 mph into a creek bottom this last trip i went on and broke 2 ribs slamming into the bars, the sleds damage?, no bent bars no bent bulk head no broken ski rubbers and no suspension front or rear. The chassis is tough, the engine is tough. Now the clutch is a concern and so is the rail but i did fold up my 2016 rails also so i don't know what too think about it.

From the industry guys that work for 509 i talked too a new narrower chassis is coming this next year but i cant justify buying a new sled in this world were in.

But for the question of will i stay on one? Yes but i also like to be different. My harley is white too stand out from all the others because i need to feel special:ROFLMAO:

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
I think just like anything, people want to be on the winning team. Growing up in Minnesota, I was a Cat guy. My Cats were late 70's, early 80's. Guys (and gals) know what happened in 82 and 83, Cat folded. The employees bought the company and started over. I've owned new Cats, but riding and owning all the brands, I settled on what works for me. I want innovation, reliability, a strong diverse company. Cat has been stagnant. They haven't been the leader for a long time. Watercraft didn't work for them, ATV sales have never been strong. I've ridden all over the West, and to see a Cat, it's pretty rare. That doesn't mean I don't want them to succeed. If you lose Cat, Yamaha sleds will follow. Unless of course they team up with Poo or Doo. That's not happening. Both companies are doing well by themselves and don't want any part of that. Even though it is doubtful I would ever buy another Cat, I want them to carry on. There use to be over a hundred manufacturers of snowmobiles. We're down to five. Competition needs to continue. But to answer the thread question, there really is nothing that they could do to get me to purchase another Cat.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I think the forms make things sound a lot worse for cat then it really is they are at every parking lot and lots of new ones. I can keep up with any of my buddies on their khaos or gen 4 ( not including the turbos lol). I went about 30 mph into a creek bottom this last trip i went on and broke 2 ribs slamming into the bars, the sleds damage?, no bent bars no bent bulk head no broken ski rubbers and no suspension front or rear. The chassis is tough, the engine is tough. Now the clutch is a concern and so is the rail but i did fold up my 2016 rails also so i don't know what too think about it.

From the industry guys that work for 509 i talked too a new narrower chassis is coming this next year but i cant justify buying a new sled in this world were in.

But for the question of will i stay on one? Yes but i also like to be different. My harley is white too stand out from all the others because i need to feel special:ROFLMAO:
Cat's and Harley's definately went hand in hand for some guys. Now it's Doo's and Harley's. I don't know why?

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
Cat's and Harley's definately went hand in hand for some guys. Now it's Doo's and Harley's. I don't know why?
Our Cat dealer and Harley dealer here are owned by the same family. For a while they were even under one roof.

The first few years of the Ascender, I did see a lot of Cats on the mountain, but these last 2 seasons it seems like most people have replaced them with turbo Doos and now Matryx sleds.

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
It would be interesting to see what people would ride if they believed in investing in themselves and their own abilities, instead of investing in a machine, thinking the machine will make them a better rider

Last edited:

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Cat will have to decide what success means for them. Clawing back market share from Doo and Poo will be tough.

If Cat makes the best sled and I can find a great Cat dealer, I would consider buying one. It will need to be narrower and lighter, with better build quality though.

We shall see what the 2024 model year brings for Cat.

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
A supercharged Cat could be interesting. Shed a few lbs. and narrow her up and I think they could jump right back in the game.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Doo feels awkward to me and Polaris lack of reliability has left a bad taste in my mouth. Cat sleds have been good to me since switching from poo so I have no reason to change now, and imo riding with all the brands, the only place cat is behind performance wise is on social media. Our group is about 50/50 cat and poo, and neither one will drastically out perform the others in any way. There’s been far more major mechanical failures from the poo group though. Poo would probably be my second choice just for handling characteristics, but until I see enough evidence their long string of engine issues are fixed or that cats reliability/durability has drastically changed I’ll stay where I’m at.

C
Jan 14, 2020
I'm sure this has been discussed before but I'm bored and decided I'd like to hear what people think.

My question is mainly directed at those who have previously owned Cat sleds but have gone away from the brand, but even if you haven't had one, or currently have one, I'm curious on your thoughts as well. What would it take to get you to go snowcheck a new Cat next spring?

That's all I can think of right now but I'm sure there's some more areas for improvement.

What do you guys think?
The steering is sloppy as heck. And it has been for 6 years now. The bushings wobble and the supports do too. The 17mm nut that always loosens itself is ridiculous in 2022, the steering is SO MUCH TIGHTER in polaris and doo.

The boards are absolute trash. They build snow, and are old style for sure. (maybe the 2021 alpha boards are better. i think i saw 2 alphas in our riding spots in utah this year)

800 ----> 850 cc. Its a big bore, just do it and make the cylinders a wee bit thicker????

I would consider switching again to cat then, maybe, I would still have to ride it. Except the last cat dealer here stopped dealing with cats so probably not even if they were the "actual best sled" of 2023.

Having a 2021 axys khaos, the things a weapon in the snow. The g4 chassis feels sloppy to me vs it.

If there were no motor failures on any brand, which would be chosen most often? --- Probably polaris. The chassis is so good in the mountain sector.

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
The steering is sloppy as heck. And it has been for 6 years now. The bushings wobble and the supports do too. The 17mm nut that always loosens itself is ridiculous in 2022, the steering is SO MUCH TIGHTER in polaris and doo.

The boards are absolute trash. They build snow, and are old style for sure. (maybe the 2021 alpha boards are better. i think i saw 2 alphas in our riding spots in utah this year)

800 ----> 850 cc. Its a big bore, just do it and make the cylinders a wee bit thicker????

I would consider switching again to cat then, maybe, I would still have to ride it. Except the last cat dealer here stopped dealing with cats so probably not even if they were the "actual best sled" of 2023.

Having a 2021 axys khaos, the things a weapon in the snow. The g4 chassis feels sloppy to me vs it.

If there were no motor failures on any brand, which would be chosen most often? --- Probably polaris. The chassis is so good in the mountain sector.

Have you ridden one? the ctec has pretty much the same horsepower as the polaris 840. It has 3% less power, big whoop.

gotta agree on the boards n steering

C
Jan 14, 2020
I dont give a chit what it dynos at max hp. More displacement is either more hp or torque or both under the curve of the entire rpm range.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
There’s so much ignorance in that displacement statement I feel a discussion about it is like winning an argument in an Alzheimer’s ward.

C
Jan 14, 2020
you're a fool if you think you notice the difference in 40cc's haha.

I'm not normal one to diss on a forum, but come on ?
thats weird.. spec racing with watercraft, no one with a a stock 798cc sxr 800 is beating someone else with a 849cc legal big bore. its good for about 2 mph on the water. in a 15 minute moto that is worth half a lap if not more.
if it doesnt make more power why do poo 850's run heavier weights than the 800?

diehard cat people are weird. we get it, the company has tried to die at least 2x but you grew up with it, so you gotta beat it back to life.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
thats weird.. spec racing with watercraft, no one with a a stock 798cc sxr 800 is beating someone else with a 849cc legal big bore. its good for about 2 mph on the water. in a 15 minute moto that is worth half a lap if not more.

diehard cat people are weird. we get it, the company has tried to die at least 2x but you grew up with it, so you gotta beat it back to life.
My group is about 50/50 cat and poo, so I’ve rode my alpha with 850 axys, 850 matryx(n/a), and 850 doos(n/a). The 850s do not drastically out shine the cat 800 by any means. On hard pack up hill drag races, (I know, not what these sleds are meant for but you know everyone does it) the matryx 850 would come out ahead, at his bumper would be the axys 850, at his bumper would be me on the little 800 cat and bringing up the rear is the doo 850. Same results multiple times and I’m a fat azz compared to the rest of the riders. Now add a few feet of pow and things change. I’ve passed the same 850 axys in deep snow climbs. The matryx wasn’t in the group until spring so no deep snow comparison to the matryx. The cat and do are both rated at around 165hp and the poo 850 is 170-175. There is not much difference power wise but the alpha puts it to the ground quite well.

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington

I'm from 'out west', I don't care about watercross racing, especially in a mountain snowmobile discussion. 40cc's is going to save you haha!

And for the record, I am not a diehard cat person, I didn't even grow up on snowmobiles. I had a Polaris a couple of seasons ago, and I have my own reasons for switching over. It's just obvious you haven't even ridden a current generation cat, yet you hold these cringe opinions so strong. ?

Premium Features