• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What will the 850 (factory) turbo resale be like?

X
Oct 8, 2009
BRP likely thought about the fact that tuners will be playing with this model sled more to see if they can push the power and they don't want to be left holding the bag if these tuners push a little too far. In the stock form these sleds should hold together just fine as they are not pushing more power than a N/A at sea level. I do realize that mountain riding is much harder on a sled but they need to be designed for that.
This is irrelevant with today's tech and modern encryption. The factory knows if anything but a factory computer logs into the ECU, and all manufactures void warranties when that happens. Heck, the sled won't even start after being pulled from the crate without the service department technician booting up the ecu and setting it up.

jdrmx

Lifetime Membership
Nov 17, 2013
Eastern SD
My gut try tells me resale will be a bit better than the other sleds. At least until the market is flooded with factory turbos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
Huh? When did this start?
don't know when it started but i recently watched a vid of a 2021 skidoo turbo being uncrated. the tech hooked up the computer to the ecu while the narrator mentioned that the machine wouldn't run until this procedure takes place.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Yes you have to program the key, no key, no start.

Yep, programming the key, but the sled will still start witout a programmed one. It just wont go past a certain RPM.

I only have budds experience with NA sleds, no turbos, they may be a new PDI procedure Im not aware of.

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Turbo and resale value are not really a very good mix. Attempted to sell my 2017 Summit X 165 with the Boondocker Turbo last fall and no one wanted to pay anything for it, decided to keep it and enjoy it rather than give it away. Glad I kept it! Works very well for the deep days and puts a smile on my face every time I ride it, just wish it had the SHOT.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Aftermarket turbo and resale value are not really a very good mix. Attempted to sell my 2017 Summit X 165 with the Boondocker Turbo last fall and no one wanted to pay anything for it, decided to keep it and enjoy it rather than give it away. Glad I kept it! Works very well for the deep days and puts a smile on my face every time I ride it, just wish it had the SHOT.

Fixed it for ya. ?

Standard practice is remove the turbo kit and sell stock.

BirdmanID

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2019
Idaho falls
Turbo and resale value are not really a very good mix. Attempted to sell my 2017 Summit X 165 with the Boondocker Turbo last fall and no one wanted to pay anything for it, decided to keep it and enjoy it rather than give it away. Glad I kept it! Works very well for the deep days and puts a smile on my face every time I ride it, just wish it had the SHOT.

That’s not really a good comparison to a stock turbo sled.

B
Feb 18, 2009
Turbo should have zero negative impact resale value. It NEVER puts out any more power then all 850s at sea level. The engine was designed for 175HP so why would running is at 175HP be a concern? After market turbos are being run well above stock HP and hard on the engine so people don't want to buy them. Now those people running after market flashes running running the stock Turbo beyond what is was designed for is whole nother story. Hopefully there will be a way to determine if its been modified.

B
Feb 18, 2009
That's a ridiculous comparison. An aftermarket turbo is not going to be putting out more than stock HP (full HP at sea level) which is what the engine was designed for. The stock turbo does not ever exceed that, just maintains it at high elevation.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Usually not hard to tell if a turbo has been installed. Not saying so in all cases but most...

Usually true.

I shopped the seller.

I bought my aftermarket turbo Equipped sled from a meticulous older guy who had put 300 miles on a snowcheck sled with locally (professionally) installed silber turbo.

Paid 10k for it when it was 2 years old.

That’s serious depreciation......... about 50% of what he had in it i’d guess.

Premium Features