• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What to look for in a starter snow bike kit?

M
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
My son and I have just joined the forum a couple of weeks ago. We got interested in converting our enduro bikes after renting a couple of Yetis in Revelstoke last winter. Now I'm looking to buy two identical kits, both for our two KTM 300 XCWs. I wonder if any experienced snow bikers can recommend anything to watch for when making the decision of which kit to buy? I have been looking at the Camso kits. They seem to be well designed and manufactured. Given machine and robotics design is my profession, I recognize the Camso kits as a serious contender, compared to the Yeti (not a starter Kit) and the Timbersled, MotoTrax etc...Those kits are also great designs but I am impressed with the single rail Camso design, both for simplicity and its attempt to emulate the dirt bike geometry in leaning characteristics. Its suspension seems ample for our eastern slopes and our non-avalanche environment. I think the extra weight would not be a huge deal breaker.

We live in Toronto, Canada and would ride up in the snow belt (Muskoka area) which typically gets lots of powder and new snow. Not interested in hard pack or racing at all. Simply powder conditions and opening up hundreds of KMs of back country, mostly trees and soft hills. Lots of enduro and HS racing experience (25 years) but never did snow mobiling. I like the twitchy feel of powder and tight woods, hence the favour to the Camso unit.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be much appreciated. Looking to purchase in the next month. We're on the cusp of a decision but need some more due diligence.

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
You can do a lot of things to make your experience better. Since you are using bikes with carbs, you may want to look into carb heaters (like the old sleds with carbs). Heated grips are a plus as are bigger and wider footpegs (Fastway or other). Both are musts from my point of view. The 300 makes a nice snowbike. You will be at low elevation so the power should be adequate. i just put a 520 big bore in my 14.5 KTM 450 SXF with Yeti 129. We run at higher elevations and the extra power and torque will be nice. You are in cold country so you may want to consider the engine shroud too if they make them for the two strokes. A pipe guard will come in handy if you don't already have them. It keeps you from burning holes in expensive pants. I run a pipe wrap on my four stroke. It also helps maintain heat in the pipe which is more critical on a two stroke. the Camso kit is a great option for the money. Camso now owns Yeti too.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Heated carbs are a MUST for those bikes. Frozen carbs are a pretty stupid problem and are not only annoying but dangerous. That and a proper intake for snow and the stock XCW isn't a terrible to tool around on. If your not planning on doing any major fork upgrades the Airpro is a nice upgrade to help maintain ride height without touching the inside of your forks. THe XCW are so soft they collapse far too easy and affect the whole vehicles performance and handling charachteristics as its always damn near bottomed out.

The camso kits are well put together, affordable and seem to go through the snow really well. The only drawback is how they look, but that isn't going to stop you from having fun!

M
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
Thanks, this is really helpful information so far.
Heated grips - have already.
Carb heater - can this be the simple 20 watt plug in element type or from the coolant stream?
Pipe wrap - can I use fibre glass instead?
Fork air - what pressures are typically used and will it blow seals?
Camso - I think it looks OK though.
I think the Yeti will evolve into a carbon single rail design very soon.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Also any 16/17 timbersled 120 can be had for 3500-4000 US. These will be bolt and go, little to no maintenance kits that work pretty dang well in the powder and might be a bit more “playful”. I wouldn’t even hesitate to get the timbersled raw.
As far as bike goes-not sure i’d submit my awesome summer bike to that kind of punishment. Don’t know the market there but i just saw a 2007 yz450 here with both top and bottom end rebuilt for 2500 us. If I didn’t have my current bike I would be tempted to snag it with a 2016/17 TS ST, T-bob, engine shroud, carb heater, air pro etc.

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
Camso should fine. Many of us out west in the mountains run a Lectron carb, plus carb heat. At your altitude, you could maybe get along with the stock carb, plus carb heat. Also lots of us switching to deferent CDI box, Slavens Racing could help with that. I didn't wrap or guard my pipe, but instead wear a Dragonwear Firefighter Gaitor on my pipe leg. They are nomex, and worked great. Might look silly, but a single pair would work for you and your son. Must haves, are heavier fork springs, carb heat, snow filter. Everything else is gravy.

D
Mar 29, 2010
Fork springs (or airpro), pod air intake, carb heat are must haves.
Lots of info on setting up the 300 on this site.
Don't rule out racing. Last year, was the first year of snowbike class in the csra. It's an absolute blast, and I rec trying at least one day.
There's also a practice snowcross track near bracebridge - called The Compound. They have snowmaking equipment, which allowed them to be open every day last year- and last year was our worst snow season in over a decade.

Cheers

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Carb heat was you need the carb collar like pst sells or Avid... The 20 watt deal does not cut it...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Hard to beat the camso for entry level new kit.

If you put on miles it is also nice to have the covered track system to keep ice buildup down ( snow spray away from the exhaust). Not sure about the ski on trails that you will probably do more than most. It will be easy to find a timbersled ski and put on triple carbides, that is a one hand 5th gear Trail setup if need be.
Like others said you need a carb heater and some way to keep heat in the engine. A coolant temp gauge is a must ( just the one on the rad cap will do) cheap and easy. I ran a big skid plate from the bottom of the radar round the pipe ( Wide out front to keep heat in and make sure it is narrow on the bottom so snow and ice can fall of) I just taped up my aluminium rad guard for correct temp. A dry air filter with the Sand cover from KTM is all you need for the air filter.
With a kit that has the track covered there is much less snow dust going into the filter. Just try it before you make huge changes. Same with the forks every kit is different , typically the lower the setup the less issues you have with fork dive.
Try it first before you spend a pile of money on one of my set ups I was able to get away just by cranking up the preload.
If you use air assisted setups keep the pressure real low just like on airforks there is a chance you blow out the seals. And last make sure to jet her a bit fat for the wide open throttle you will do quite a bit more than on wheels.
So my point simply is do not go nuts and spend all sorts of time and money on mods you may not need.

Have fun.....

Last edited:
A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Idk if there's such a thing as a starter kit. It's like saying a skidoo is a starter sled to a Polaris. (Well it kinda is but.....)
Not sure how much is for sale back east, but here you can buy a couple year old TS proven kit for about $3k every week. I'd get a couple used TS kits, carb heaters, seal up the air boxes and add Sno filters and some handlebar mitts and go tear it up.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
carb heat

ditto on all the carb heat post. On two strokes, the biggest drawback in your type of snow conditions will be eliminate carb icing. I have had several friends convert their 300 ktm and decide to just do a few easy spring rides and not bother with all the extras. Not good. A few miles from the truck and they were iced up on nice sunny warm day.

Premium Features