• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What should Polaris feature on the 2019 models

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Tell me about tunnel durability.

It seems kind of a given that you need to reinforce the tunnel if you put any kind of extra weight on them. A friend of mine with a 2016 has a bowed tunnel from us skiing with his sled (one person on each running board doing shuttles). Now given that's not what they're designed for, but I've done this for years on a dragon chassis with no issues, as well as on pretty much all recent skidoos and cats with zero issue. (08 XPs excluded, those things were made out of paper, but they improved every year after). Another guy here bent his tunnel from a monumenal wheelie stuck last year.

AC said they went to thinner tunnels this year so maybe that will be an issue with those too. But as of right now look how many "tunnel reinforcement kits" are available for each brand.

Of the things I listed, that's probably the least significant. Literally every single 3.0 polaris track I've seen in parking lots and on my buddy's sleds tosses paddles.

And the electrical stuff.....come on polaris, how long you been doing this?

They need to employ as many structural engineers as they do designers. Polaris is leading the game in rideability and design IMO but the problems they have shouldn't be problems this many decades into them building snowmobiles. It's literally the only thing keeping me from owning another one. Even just keeping the pro line as the ultimate in light weight, and then more along the lines of what they do a little bit already with the base RMK being heavier......beef them up. I'd happily buy a more durable RMK.

But hey at least they don't have self immolating wobble clutches as a design feature.

Last edited:

Ron Burgandy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2012
i'd like a longer quick drive belt with a tensioner. move track clips to below the lugs.

A practical rear bumper from the factory. read Gen4

i think it's an ETEC thing but license the SHOT system.

reversible scratchers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snowracer21

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2012
a small, inexpensive feature would be an altimeter in the gauge. SkiDoo and Cat offer this... it's always nice to see what elevation you're riding at w/o pulling out your GPS

snowracer21

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2012
The snow check program is a joke. You pay a ton to get a specific color then Polaris puts a in season rebate on the current model year and you can buy the same sled for 2K less. I would like to see selectibility that really matters. Offer on upgrade to one of the camso tracks, 3.2 or x3 or 2.8. Offer the front cooler, maybe a fox shock package.

THIS x100

I snowchecked a 2015 Pro, got a really good deal on it...$12.2 +tax/lic/doc etc. Picked the sled up beginning of December. The very next month, they were offering new 2015s still on showroom floor for $9,999. My sled depreciated ~$2k in one month.

After that, I swore I'd never buy a brand new sled. Past 2 years I picked up a leftover, for a few thousand cheaper than current year

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
i'd like a longer quick drive belt with a tensioner. move track clips to below the lugs.

A practical rear bumper from the factory. read Gen4

i think it's an ETEC thing but license the SHOT system.

reversible scratchers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't overstate how such a small thing would be SO GREAT!!!!!!!!

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I love the axys chassis but I would love an axys chassis that runs like they do for the first 200 miles for 2000 miles.

Better electrical, this is the source of SOO many stupid problems on these sleds.

Improved motor mounts/alignment. Replacing motor mounts every 1k to keep proper RPM sucks.

I love the P85 primary but something a little more robust (better bushing surfaces/more of them) wouldn't hurt. Also the new cat system with the bearing is trick and makes for SUCH smooth engagement which helps them get on the snow better.

Chassis - Id love to see things narrowed up more and trim the lower plastic in any way possible, every step here keeps making things that much better year after year.

I love the sleds they just need to make them a little less prone to stupid problems that make them run like garbage and lose rpm fairly early in life.

K
Apr 11, 2010
AK
Durability

motor mounts

tracks

tunnels

anything electrical

THIS. In their never ending quest to save ounces and pennies, Polaris engineers tend to forget the No. 1 Rule of snowmobiling.... To make it back to the truck at the end of the day. Especially important for the inaccessible/steep and remote areas these sleds can take you to these days. Add 100 miles of Alaska wilderness between you and the truck and it all becomes pretty clear that I would gladly add 10 or 20 pounds of "durability" to the sled to make it home.

C
Feb 21, 2008
Chanhassen MN
Narrow the AXYS chassis by at least 12" (24" max Width at widest point of the Plastics), Lose the conventional CVT and develop an in the driver CVT (I'll sell them my designs). Yeti style belt drive from crankshaft to CVT input on the driver CL. Yeti Ski or similar. One pair of A-arms pointing straight out the front to a Yeti like spindle. Mono-arm style rear suspension (think, EZ-Ryde but do it better). Mount the rear shock in the arm with linkage to near the upper pivot (eliminates the need for excessive chassis reinforcement behind the arm pivot point / foot pegs / balance point). A real thermodynamic cooler extrusion (finned inside and out, NOT the bathtub extrusion design you've used for 13 plus years now), only under the fuel tank and front close off of the bulkhead. Everything behind the fuel tank / foot pegs / rear suspension arm pivot to be "REAL Carbon Fiber" (not the FAUX carbon fiber you currently import and use) skin strictly for snow protection. 10-12" wide track with good lug towers incorporated (CMX's new offering or similar) in various lengths. 600 and 800 CFI engine choices. Max Wet Ready to Ride weight of 300. Excellent arctic quality waterproof electronics / wiring harness (not outsourced Chinese garbage).

As they commit to a build sheet 3-4 years before production most all of this thread is a waste of time for 2019 or even 2020.
What a bag of Ds!!!

My Axys would be best improved by a rider with more time to ride who is 15-20lbs lighter.

Not that there went some good ideas here, and a stock 36 or 37 inch front end with new spindles that have less drag

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I love the axys chassis but I would love an axys chassis that runs like they do for the first 200 miles for 2000 miles. Is that a motor mount issue that is causing clutch misalignment?

Better electrical, this is the source of SOO many stupid problems on these sleds. I sure wish they were sealed on my 2013 Pro. It's been a never ending saga. That little Velcro bag is NOT the answer. Seal that stuff up, eh!

Improved motor mounts/alignment. Replacing motor mounts every 1k to keep proper RPM sucks. See my first comment

I love the P85 primary but something a little more robust (better bushing surfaces/more of them) wouldn't hurt. Also the new cat system with the bearing is trick and makes for SUCH smooth engagement which helps them get on the snow better. That could always stand to be more durable.

Chassis - Id love to see things narrowed up more and trim the lower plastic in any way possible, every step here keeps making things that much better year after year. Keep making refinements to the best chassis? No need to reinvent a new chassis yet, right?

I love the sleds they just need to make them a little less prone to stupid problems that make them run like garbage and lose rpm fairly early in life.

My comments in red...

Last edited:

RX1MountainMan

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Harlowton, MT
This close to reveal and their secrecy hasn't sprung a leak yet? I did hear possibly a bigger motor by a guy headed to the dealer meetings...

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Well, it looks like Polaris did PRETTY WELL on these items that were brought up in this thread.

Premium Features