• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What oil do you run?

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
the article says "Moreover, differences in engine technologies make it impossible to certify snowmobile oil to one standard. In fact, laboratory tests of all four OEM oils show they all use different formulas and additive packages. "

Really IMO, that's a load of bs with regards to certify an oil to one standard. I'm going to use the automotive/4 stroke certification as an example. All the 4 stroke oil manufacturers all meet a "minimum" standard, They can sure beat it and most do., they all use different formula's than each other, depending on how cheap the oil is or a more premium one, etc etc.... 4 stroke engines such as cars or trucks regardless of manufacturer have all gone through many tremendous changes, whether direct injection, variable valve timing, and all sorts of other crazy things in the engine, like mazda's new HCCI engine, making a gasoline engine as close to diesel as possible, using high compression and all. the oil rating is SN/SN PLUS, of which All car manufacturs, North america anyways use, whether its a mobil oil, amsoil, castrol... wally world oil. Or honda, ford, chevy, etc etc.

then to say "C-TEC2 is the only synthetic oil approved for the new C-TEC2 600 engine.”. Well yeah, because you guys (A/C) want everybody buying your own oil. they won't certify another company's oil for their sled engine... There is no real 2 stroke oil standard such as gasoline engines having "API SN".if there was then you'd likely find all 3, doo, poo, cat, would all conform to the same standard.

Last edited:

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
5 years ago or so I was considering which oil to use after Castrol discontinued their 2 stroke synthetic snowmobile oil.

Looking at Valvolines web site I was unable to find a synthetic 2 stroke snowmobile oil so I called their 800 number to see if they had something. They told me no and the reason why they dont have a synthetic is because the oil doesn't need to last long in a 2 cycle engine because it is only in there a very short time.

I would be curious how the oil flow rates of various brands compare at 20 below, 0, 20 above, 40 above and maybe 60. I am not sure how warm the oil gets during a days ride at say an outside temp of 20, but I wouldnt be surprised if the oil temp was double that. My oil tank has factory heat reflective tape on the side closest to the exhaust.

J
Mar 8, 2019
Is there a reason why anyone wouldn’t run arctic cat oil? Cost/availability are the only two reasons that I can think of but neither are reasons for me to not run what was designed to be run in my machine.

Snowbird11

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2011
SLC/Samak, Ut
same boat for me. i'm coming from a poo that ran their synthetic race oil and was happy with that. scent wasn't too strong as well. prior to that i ran legend but grew tired of the smell, cost and lack of availability. i plan to run the cat oil when i get one next season.

Premium Features