• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What length track?

H
Mar 23, 2020
Hey guys I’m looking at getting into to snow biking with my father and I’m not sure what track length to look at. I’m 160 pounds with gear and he is 250 with gear. We ride powder and heavy deep snow and spring conditions later in the year. I’m looking at a lot of 120s but I’m afraid it might not be enough track. A little help ??‍♂️

T
Mar 29, 2011
Stateline, NV
I am perhaps a few lbs lighter geared up but pretty close. I run a '19 TS ARO 120 and a '16 TS MH 120 on KTM SXF/XCF 450s and they do great in all but the deepest 3-4 foot days. I live in the Sierras BTW. More than anything I think it will depend on the bike you pair it with. Your dad, on the other hand, would be better off on a 129 I would think.

H
Mar 23, 2020
I am perhaps a few lbs lighter geared up but pretty close. I run a '19 TS ARO 120 and a '16 TS MH 120 on KTM SXF/XCF 450s and they do great in all but the deepest 3-4 foot days. I live in the Sierras BTW. More than anything I think it will depend on the bike you pair it with. Your dad, on the other hand, would be better off on a 129 I would think.
What kind of 129? I’m thinking ktm is the way to go for a bike we are not dirtbikers but would like to try snow biking so I’m kinda flying blind. He wants to spend 10 grand or less on the entire setup and I want to spend around 9 grand on the entire setup

T
Mar 29, 2011
Stateline, NV
There are lots of 129 kits out there and lots of great opinions on them in the forums here. You couldn't go wrong with a Timbersled, Yeti, and CMX kit from the last few years. As far as bikes, same thing - tons of info on the forums here but if you can get a 450 KTM, Husky, Yamaha, or Honda in the last few years (with a magic starter button) you will be golden. Ideally, you should look for a bike/kit combo that someone is selling as it may have all the nice (need?) to have accessories like heated grips/bar, thermostat, light bar, bigger stator, etc.

H
Mar 23, 2020
There are lots of 129 kits out there and lots of great opinions on them in the forums here. You couldn't go wrong with a Timbersled, Yeti, and CMX kit from the last few years. As far as bikes, same thing - tons of info on the forums here but if you can get a 450 KTM, Husky, Yamaha, or Honda in the last few years (with a magic starter button) you will be golden. Ideally, you should look for a bike/kit combo that someone is selling as it may have all the nice (need?) to have accessories like heated grips/bar, thermostat, light bar, bigger stator, etc.
Yeah that is what I’m looking for currently is a complete setup and so far a lot of Ktm 450s that seem in nice shape that are completely set up with the little magic button!

B
Nov 29, 2018
For powder I wish for the Yeti 137.
For heavy deep maybe go down to the 129FR, maybe.
For spring conditions like corn snow, go as short as you like. This is my favorite snow condition to ride on.
All mounted to a 450SX bike of your choice, unless it's spring and where you could get away with a 250.
That all said I have a yeti 129SS/450sx, it doesn't work in the light powder quite as well as the 129FR and is so much fun that I don't care one bit.

B
Feb 28, 2011
I'm pretty new as well but have ridden a few by now. My advice is the bike needs to be new enough to be fuel injected so when you dump it, it restarts. Two, it needs a starter. 450/525 pretty much the same really, lower power on the 525, but you still rap the thing up. I like the newer Hondas, cheap, reliable, starter. I own a KTM. It's nice but expensive and requires lots of care. And get either front shocks firmed up or tripod shock.
For the track I bought a 137 because I was told not to mess with a shorter track. I think there is lots to be said for track set up. My original set up trenched madly. I was stuck more than a 120. A few adjustments and it floats way better. But I've seen 120s with good ridders almost never get stuck even on deep days. Also depends on where you are. I'm in AK where it's deep wet snow. On really deep days no one goes anywhere. Once it firms up, everyone goes everywhere. Interior BC, when I could get there, way lighter snow and the longer track made more of a difference in the ability to crawl around through the trees. I think the 129s are the sweet spot.

Premium Features