• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What GPS should I get

I'm looking at new GPS units and can't decide what to get? I have been looking at the Rhino 530 but I don't have anyone else I ride with that has a radio on theirs...... Is there any Rhinos as goos as the 530 but with out the radio that are cheaper? Also where has the best prices for them? The cheapest I have found is $384 at Wal-Mart.... Any opinions, info greatly appreciated!

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
The rinos have a few probs. I think the garmin 76csx and 60 Csx are the best you can get. If you don't mind changing batterys mid day the Colorado and Oregon have great features. I have one for sale.

Last edited:
F

Flange509

Dec 1, 2007
Colorado
I have the 530 hcx, its a very nice unit, the battery last for days and I can use the thing in my basement and still pickup signal. I got the radio funtion because the signal location can be picked up by another one but then agian no one else I ride with has one.

R

revtech100

Oct 13, 2008
Anchorage, AK
I use the rhino 530. The radio is a nice feature if you happen to get with someone else. The battery must be made by ever ready because it last and lasts and lasts. Even at a -25 it didn't die. I keep my backlight on all the time, especially this time of the year because of the limited day light here in AK. It's got more features than I will ever use, but it's a great unit. I also use it in the summer on my 4 wheeler and have litterly buried it in mud and never a problem. Check out e-bay for a good price to.

doo181

Premium Member
Jan 23, 2008
North Idaho
I agree with all the comments re: the Garmins above. I have used most of the ones on the market and have decided that the 530 is best for me as all of my buddies carry radios. Eventually some of my friends did get one as well and that has been great. The charge lasts a long time but there is a battery adapter for emergencies (extra). It can be recharged in your car. Without the radio the 60 is just as good a GPS unit. I have that one as well. I spend all year up in the mountains much of the time hunting and hiking by myself. During those times the gps is very important to me and these units are quick and easy to use. They pick up in heavy cover etc. Some of the units that I purchased and shelved or sold in favor of these were Bushnell, Delorme and Ihunt. I also tried the Garmin Colorado. It was ok but the charge did not last as long, it was harder to read and the navigation wheel fell off on the first hunt into no mans land making me very nervous.

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
The rino battery is fantasatic !! I wish they did these or mase them an option on all models. Ive seen too many rinos shut off when on a sled mount or in the cold generally. sj

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
The rino battery is fantasatic !! I wish they did these or made them an option on all models. Ive seen too many rinos shut off when on a sled mount or in the cold generally. sj

S
Nov 5, 2008
Keep in mind with the rhino that even though your buddies don't have them the radio still works with any motorolla radio or any other little handheld. So having the radio is still useful. Saves you from packing a radio and GPS

What about the 60CX? I really want the 530 but I am on a pretty tight budget this year and I can't find and 530's I can afford. I found another forum that a guy said he got the 60cx for $199 on amazon but I can't find it for any less than $264 but that still beats $400 for the Rhino530

Here is the one thing I am really looking for and I am sure all these have this feature....... I want to be able to set it when I leave the truck and then be able to stop and look at where I have been and where the truck is.... Is that the feature that some people refer to as cookie crums (or whatever they call it)? Thanks again everyone

S
Nov 5, 2008
Thats the tracks feature. They will all have that. Any GPS is better than no GPS. I have the 530 and a Venture. The venture is really easy to use as well. Walmart sells them cheap

Z

zr600

Oct 26, 2001
Bismarck ND
OK the wife got me a Garmin nuvi 205w for christmas. Is this one i can take snowmobiling and on the atv or is this basically one to navigat on the road in the truck? I have played with it seems pretty simple, the instructions don't really give much info. I though they would be way more confusing than this one is.

F
Nov 30, 2007
Sexsmith, AB
What about the 60CX? I really want the 530 but I am on a pretty tight budget this year and I can't find and 530's I can afford. I found another forum that a guy said he got the 60cx for $199 on amazon but I can't find it for any less than $264 but that still beats $400 for the Rhino530

I just got a Garmin model 60cxs or something like that, it's like the one your looking at but has a little chip in it that calculates where your location is even when your inside your house. Anyways the 60 series your looking at is awesome, mine works all day in the cold on a set of batteries. The Garmins have the best Antenna is the business. The only thing is the screen is little small, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
There is one other that is getting rave reviews. If no one comes out with something that can access google earth info soon i may try it.

google ... delorme 40

Premium Features