• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What Electronics to Carry

cek

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2003
Yakima, WA
Just getting back into the sport with my son. Wondering what beacons, radios etc everyone is liking these days. Been 10 years for me.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Just getting back into the sport with my son. Wondering what beacons, radios etc everyone is liking these days. Been 10 years for me.

BCA Tracker 4

BCA 2.0 Link Radio

Waiting on one of the new BCA Link Mini Radios to test out this season

Garmin GPS Map 67i with InReach

AND

This year I am wearing a BCA Float E2 Mtnpro Airbag vest.

While all of my riding gear is KLIM (with the exception of 509 Ignite goggles) I have found BCA to be a rock solid performer on the technology side.

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
I carry the BCA tracker 3, InReach Mini 2 and a radio. Possibly adding the Polaris 7S gauge to my list of electronics for next year.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Research the companies and make sure they are not supporting the environmentalist groups that are trying to shut down sledding. A few years back Mammut was supporting one of these organizations so I won't buy from them.

Pickin’ Boogers

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2013
Sometimes regional sales reps sign-on to minor sponsorships, like donating a beacon to a local event raffle, without much oversight from the company itself. Sometimes the company is deliberately anti-motorized. To me, there's a difference.

Pickin’ Boogers

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2013
Mammut had something anti-snowmobile on their website? Or did the WWA or Snowlands have Mammut listed as a sponsor? If so, I'd be bummed - Mammut beacons have been the best on the market for a while. And it was my understanding that Mammut North America was deliberately staying out of the WWA/Snowlands garbage. Or was it another non-profit that is anti-snowmobile, maybe indirectly?

Black Diamond had an anti-snowmobile page on their website for a long time. Then they bought the North American distribution rights to Pieps, and tried marketing that brand to snowmobilers. I still refuse to buy either one. Made easier since their beacons have had switch issues that BD only half-assed addressed.

I think a lot of the ski-based companies that assumed an anti-snowmobile stance for marketing purposes are beginning to regret it. Even so, it's amazing to see how many of us buy brands that are sponsoring our exclusion.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Mammut had something anti-snowmobile on their website? Or did the WWA or Snowlands have Mammut listed as a sponsor? If so, I'd be bummed - Mammut beacons have been the best on the market for a while. And it was my understanding that Mammut North America was deliberately staying out of the WWA/Snowlands garbage. Or was it another non-profit that is anti-snowmobile, maybe indirectly?

Black Diamond had an anti-snowmobile page on their website for a long time. Then they bought the North American distribution rights to Pieps, and tried marketing that brand to snowmobilers. I still refuse to buy either one. Made easier since their beacons have had switch issues that BD only half-assed addressed.

I think a lot of the ski-based companies that assumed an anti-snowmobile stance for marketing purposes are beginning to regret it. Even so, it's amazing to see how many of us buy brands that are sponsoring our exclusion.
Yes, it was probably 10 years ago now though but it was another forum member that brought it to our attention. I believe it was the Sierra Club they were funding.

Premium Features