• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What Carbon Fiber Helmet to buy

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I have worn 509 helmets since like 2013. Bunch of different models. Just picked up a 509 Altitude 3K Carbon helmet. The thing fits my head awesome just like all the ones of years past. Has the Fid-0-lock which is an amazing little feature. Also, the new 3k carbon version is stupidly light. Wore it 2x now one some quick yard/road rides and cannot wait to get out and spend full days in it.

ziggity

Premium Member
Mar 30, 2015
I really like my fly F2 and I think last year they updated them.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
To save money went with last year models.

HMK FLY carbon approx. $150 AND Motorfist Alpha approx. $180 , Both were over $300-400 when first came out so bought last years model saved over half

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I'll throw another vote for the Klim F5!!

Vents awesome but if you need it a little warmer, just add the windproof liner.......If you need it warmer after that, you can add small foam pieces to the interior vent ports, then put the liner in, thus sealing it up really good.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
I have the Suomy MX Jump. Just a bit over 2 lbs. Went from a helmet that weighted over 4 lbs several years ago. What a HUGE difference in how the ole neck feels at the end of the day. These are a little expensive but discounts can be found.

Climbmax

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2001
Big Mountains of B.C.
You should really get your hands on the FXR Helium Carbon. After having 2 of the most popular in the past that had their Chin trim fall right out after getting snow packed in them after only one season, this helmet lasted like new the entire year. And its lighter than both of the others as well.
my .02
Cheers

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
Klim myself -my complaint is with the occolus klim goggles, they aren't quite a tight fit. There is a very slight gap in the top corners which make things a little colder riding the trail.

And if you get this one, put the headliner in before you ride, as you'll never get it in with cold fingers.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Here's my experience with 3 helmets this past year. All size large and motocross style:

2019 Fly Carbon Fiber Mips (MSRP $299) Actual weight 3.02 pounds
D ring straps, ECE and DOT cert., good venting and comes with no accessories.

2020 FXR Carbon Fiber Helium Race Division (MSRP $375) Actual weight 2.52 pounds
Titanium D ring straps, ECE and DOT cert., good venting and comes with no accessories.

2019 Klim F5 Carbon Fiber (MSRP $499) Actual weight 2.88 pounds
Fidlock straps, ECE cert., great venting and comes with extra visor and cold weather liner.

The F5 has the best liner, the FXR is second, the Fly is third.

The fit and finish on the Fly and FXR is very good and excellent on the Klim.

The chin bar is tight with the Fly with goggles with nose guards. There is more room with the FXR and the most room with the Klim.

The FXR feels really, really light, but they are all nice and fit me well.

Hope this helps.

Premium Features