• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What can you tell me about the 600 VES engine?

N
Jan 24, 2016
Northern Norway
Hi!

Just picked up a 2000 Indy 600 Touring with the Liberty 600 VES engine.

I'm very curious about this engine, so what can you guys tell me about it?

To my understanding it's a very reliable engine? It's got 8600 km / 5400 miles on it.

Any known potential issues I should be aware of?

20220410_155927.jpg

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
It's about as bullet proof of an engine you can buy. We have a couple of 2010 models with CFI instead of carbs but they have been flawless at 7500 miles currently.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Have seen the carbs requiring a rebuild between 5-8k miles; float bowl viton seats will start to leak, needles get worn, mostly from vibration. VES valves should be pulled, cleaned, and inspected, look for wear, chips, diaphrams, springs, plugged holes, etc. With maintenance and a top end, have seen them go +10,000. FWIW.

I had a 13 CFI 600 overheat with 3k miles - wife was running it on the way to the truck on a warm day, scratchers had broke, the PTO locating pin let go, went into det before it limped from the overheat, and destroyed the entire top end. User error, but beware. It's a known issue when they get hot, even before they limp.

N
Jan 24, 2016
Northern Norway
It's about as bullet proof of an engine you can buy. We have a couple of 2010 models with CFI instead of carbs but they have been flawless at 7500 miles currently.

Have seen the carbs requiring a rebuild between 5-8k miles; float bowl viton seats will start to leak, needles get worn, mostly from vibration. VES valves should be pulled, cleaned, and inspected, look for wear, chips, diaphrams, springs, plugged holes, etc. With maintenance and a top end, have seen them go +10,000. FWIW.

I had a 13 CFI 600 overheat with 3k miles - wife was running it on the way to the truck on a warm day, scratchers had broke, the PTO locating pin let go, went into det before it limped from the overheat, and destroyed the entire top end. User error, but beware. It's a known issue when they get hot, even before they limp.
Thanks for the good info! Appreciated ?

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
Any engine with that kind of mileage, should be torn apart and the crankshaft bearings replaced on both the MAG and PTO ends. It will require 4 bearings there. VES engines did not start until 2002, as I recall. The tips of the VES valves get shiny when they are impacting the piston and rings. You can grind those tips down and replace the pistons and rings, if that is the case. Any VES caused damage probably affected the cylinders as well. PTO drive axle bearings usually require replacement, which is very difficult to do. So you replace the MAG side drive axle bearing at the same time. Rear track idlers usually have toasted bearings if over 2500 miles. You might want to check the reeds because you don't want to have one of those break. Shocks probably all need rebuilding with new O-rings and new gas. I just use 120 psi air. Look inside your gas tank and see if the hose has turned white and brittle from ethanol gas. Replace it regardless. If when idling and you play around with the throttle lever without reving up the engine, and the engine dies. You need a new throttle block, which will take out your hand warmers with you replace it. Check inside of your pull rope housing for black dust from the drive belt trying to turn a nearly seized water pump. Fuel pumps probably need rebuilding. Although Amazon has a couple of types, Ebay has the rebuilding kits. Check those VES vinyl diaphragms for cracks. Check the VES valves for impact stop damage. If you fix all of that, it should get you out of the parking lot.

Premium Features