• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What beacon?

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
My buddy and I both use the ortovox 3+. Simple and reliable and easy to use. As far as I can tell, there are many good quality options. I guess the most important thing is that you know how to use it properly. Most people don’t I fear. peeps 457 is old, but still serves us a good back up. Sent the BCA tracker two to my daughter for back country skiing.

Last edited:

Pickin’ Boogers

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2013
I’m a backcountry skier and always want to be aware of my speed and location. I use a DeLorme inReach SE, but it only works if I have a cell signal, which is a big problem when I’m in the backcountry skiing . I’ve been looking at the Ortovox 3+ because a) it’s waterproof, b) it comes with a GPS, and c) it has better GPS accuracy than the in Reach. My recommendation would be to get the Ortovox 3+ if you are a beginner. It is probably the easiest probe to use, plus it has a very comfortable grip handle. If you don’t want a probe to start with, you can also use a ski pole, stick, or something else.
inReach is not an avalanche beacon. Ortovox 3+ is not a GPS navigator. You can't use ski poles or a stick in place of an avalanche probe.

J
Dec 5, 2022
Montana
Bca has pretty sweet kits that have shovel prove and transceiver. I use a bca tracker 3 on sled and bc skiing.

What's important is it has the little directional arrows that point you in the right direction. I believe most modern transceivers have this. Bca 3 and 4 do, and also have a way to distinguish between two different burials.

Premium Features